Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 20/05/06, 6.35pm, THE AGE OF STEEL...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 20 May, 2006, 04:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Plumrose

>> Well, to be fair, he has been a fixture of New Who since the first episode.

Yeah, but not as a TARDIS regular. And it wasn't until 'The Girl in the Fireplace' that he was written as anything other than a cypher for the Doctor to be a cunt to.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

DavidXBrunt

The Cold bit was the most obvious leftover from the Big Finish C.D. Spare Parts amd in the original context was creepy and moving and brilliant.

I'm going to miss Micky though.

SamuelAWilkinson

And it wasn't until 'The Girl in the Fireplace' that he was written as anything other than a cypher for the Doctor to be a cunt to.

Nah, it goes back before that. As he pointed out not half an hour ago, he did help save the universe in a very minor way back at the end of series 1.

And the Doctor wasn't even THERE to be a cunt to him!
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

The Amstor Computer

The "it's just a kids' show" argument actually really bugs me. I'm sure someone else has made this point before, but there isn't really any reason why a television show for children - or for the whole family - shouldn't be held to the same standards expected from other TV fiction.

I don't think anyone expects Who to address weighty issues - at least not with the depth and sophistication of some programmes - or to be much more than an entertaining 45 minutes of sci-fi adventure, but that doesn't mean it gets to overlook things like consistency, character development or internal logic.

I really do like the new series - I'm certainly not as anti what Russell T Davies & Co. have done with it as some - but I'm also not going to excuse it when it fluffs by saying it's "just a kids' show".

Anyway, rant over... ;-)

Bolt-01

I really enjoyed that.

Glad Dan spotted the timechange so we could set the video running.

Reckon Lumic and Mickey will be back.

Thought Mrs Moore would turn out to be Mrs Lumic meself...

Bolt-01

Bico

I reckon she'll be the head honcho at Torchwood, myself.
I suggested that the Cybermen might be back at the season finale, but I wasn't being entirely serious, on account of it being too obvious a plot.

Okay episode, but too overblown, and Tennant really needs to reel it in a bit - 'kids show' does not automatically mean a pantomime.

pauljholden

Did anyone catch Ms Moore's real name?

- pj

The Amstor Computer

Angela Price, wasn't it? Was it a nod to something? I don't recognise the name...

Buddy

Quite liked that, but Rose should have stayed behind and Mickey then becomes the sidekick, if for no other reason than to get rid of bloody rose!!!

Thought the Cybercontroler thingy was very underused and I have no doubt that it will be back in the near future (hopefully with Mickey).

Biggest let down is the over played dramatics, very pantomimeesque.

Next weks looks interesting, we'll see.

Al_Ewing

I'm in favour of getting rid of Rose. TOO MUCH EMOSMUG etc etc, you know the rant by now.

THEY CALLED HIM SPOIL-ARR

Jackie getting cyberised was fantastic. That actually made me squirm a bit and if I'd been 8, I would have hidden behind the sofa. Other great moments - 'unsuitable' woman walking into the oven and being flash-fried without fuss (chilling stuff), more of the Slicerator Machine at work, 'It's bad luck the night before', the Doctor's 'idiot' speech - FINALLY one of those bloody lectures actually serves a purpose... and frankly, short of a big dod of gold being waved about, the best way to take out the Cybermen is to wake them up to the inherent horror of being a total body amputee.

MORE LUMIC and MORE MICKEY please. I'm in favour of the melodrama, because melodrama plus clanky robots equals THE THRILL POWER and it's why we're all here. Also, big clanky robots need big clanky dramatics.

Actually, I'd like to see Lumic-Cybermen versus 80's-style Mondas-Cybermen in a battle of the clanky robots. Maybe with some Dalek action as well. And have Rose de-emotioned.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Quirkafleeg

Too drunk to say more than I liked it... I think I'm finally getting into the new Who grove after 'the oh god it's back and it's not shite' high and the 'oh it's not as good as the best thing on telly' crash... and getting used to the fact it's only 45mins/1.5 hours a story instead of 2(3,4 whatever)hrs+

Richmond Clements

My boys were terrified, so I'd say this episode hit the mark brilliantly.

DavidXBrunt

Well I think the Cybes will be back and they won't be alone but from what I've heard no-ones guessed right as to who'll be with them.

Artificial Idiot

Quirkafleeg