Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 10/06/06, 7pm, THE SATAN PIT...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 10 June, 2006, 07:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Ewing

It's pretty much alive, or at least that's what we've been told up until now. I was surprised it didn't make any kind of noise to greet him.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Lord Running Clam

The Beast looked fantastic.

I thought it was quite dark, too.

The scenes in the vent's were nicely done, and the Ood crawling through them had a menace to them.

The Beast's prolonged speech at the start was my favorite part, slightly ruined with by a Torchwood reference shoehorned in.

Also liked how it didn't feel the need to explain away who or what the Beast was.

Not so sure about next week's episode, though.

Noisybast

But... but it's Abzorbaloff next week!

Link: http://www.drwho-online.co.uk/newseries/abzorbaloff-1.jpg" target="_blank">Slightly spoilery pic, so I linked it

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

cheese and pickle

hi all i really like the new dr who and i think its just as good as judge dredd
whats your favourite doctor who ep yet whats your favourite story in 2000ad

Buddy

Enjoyed this, but....

Get rid of Piper. The very sight of her hurts my brain. She's crap.

This would be really good if she was gone. How about not having an assistant for a while (has that happened before, the Doc on his todd?).

McNulty

I very much enjoyed this week's conclusion! The Beast was very impressive! The story went along at a cracking pace. There was shades of Aliens when Rose and co were in the vents - very scary! And on the whole I was pleased with how everything resolved itself. The Doctor freely admits that his view of the universe is necessarily the definitive one (There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy...) There were guesses to what The Beast was but it wasn't resolved, and maybe that was for the best.

BTW: Am I misremembering but didn't the Doctor's seventh incarnation face another Devil (or at least the Brigadier did)?

Richmond Clements

This would be really good if she was gone. How about not having an assistant for a while (has that happened before, the Doc on his todd?).

I think 'The Deadly Assassin' was the only example of this.

DavidXBrunt

Yeah, on T.V. it's the only case. A few 7th Doctor audios have him travelling alone in the run up to the movie. A couple of Davison ones see him doing stuff while his companions are in the Tardis and a few Baker ones have him solo too. A 6 or so arc in the 8th Doctor books saw him alone on Earth for 100 years, and an upcoming C.D. series sses one of the B.F. Doctors in a similar situation. All show the need for a companion with a de facto companion introduced in each one.

SamuelAWilkinson

Yep. I have to say that the overriding worst thing about season 2 of new Who is Rose, both her irritating presence and the rubbish are they/aren't they sub-plot the writers keep trying to shoehorn in. The sooner she fucks off and dies and the Doctor can have a nice male companion* with no hints of jiggerypokery, the better.

* Preferably a robot or child, so that there's no temptation for any hints of gay lovin', either.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Floyd-the-k

I like Rose (although I haven't seen this new season that's putting you all off her) but if she goes, I'm hoping Morissey will get the gig

The Monarch

Rose dying and Mickey returning as perma sidekick would do it for me!

Tanky

What a pretty beastie! Loved all the different concept pics on DWC too. More top marks for the evil Zoidbergs, some proper creepiness in the duct scenes. I'm actually starting to like Rose, but I'm now convinced she's going to 'die in battle' at the end of this series. (Can't remember if that was ever officially comfirmed?)The end was a bit of a let down for me though - 'Ooh! There's me Tardis, now to sort everything out in the last 5 minutes in a really convenient fashion'. Not sure about next week's yet...

Bico

I usually pounce on the slightest flaw in anything, but I don't seem able to get too annoyed by anything in Who lately.  I did wonder if the Tardis had ever did anything like that tractor-beam bit at the end ever before, and even though everyone was expecting the Doctor to find the Tardis, it was still a bit out of nowhere, for some reason.  Don't know why.
Fun enough.  Next week looks like an episode told outside the Doctor/Rose's point of view, which is probably overdue.
Never really got into Peter Kaye, though.  Looks like he'll be playing it a bit hammy, but it's not like he'll be out of place.

Quirkafleeg

>The Beast's prolonged speech at the start was my favorite part,

I'm reliably informed great chunks of that were nicked from Milton...

For me far too much of it was nicked from Alien(s) and some of the writing was well slack ('Oh look there's the Tardis, that's handy'... 'Right we will imprison the Beast but let his mind or 'idea' or whatever allow to escape'... etc) and I'm the inevitable 'Humans are great!' speach in his funny voice is getting irritable now...

Adrian Bamforth

"hi all i really like the new dr who and i think its just as good as judge dredd. Whats your favourite doctor who ep yet whats your favourite story in 2000ad"

Cheese and Pickle, that's kind of two whole threads in itself so don't be too put off if noone's replies. For the record - 1: The Girl In The Fireplace, 2: Zenith.

I've started to like most of the non-RTD episodes especially since they've played down the Doctor/Rose relationship and just got on with some pulpy stories. The Satan Pit looked amazing, a bit colourful but then well aimed at kids. The dialogue hasn't been too annoying but the resolution was just so disappointing. Amazingly, I had forgotten about the Tardis but still it came as a real disappointment to wrap everything up in 2 minutes. I was expecting something just a little more insightful about theology and belief, maybe an actual conversation between The Doctor and the beast - there didn't seem to be anything in their meeting to spur the Doctor into figuring anything out and he just rambled to himself for 5 minutes.

ADE