Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 17/06/06, 7pm, LOVE & MONSTERS...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 16 June, 2006, 11:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

Kay really didn't help sell the episode - his straight acting as "Victor Kennedy" was pretty ropey, and once he was unmasked & his performance shifted to comedy Northern alien (looking and sounding curiously like Fat Bastard from Austin Powers) things just got worse.

The recurring "everyone who travels with the Doctor is DOOMED!" strand is beginning to get irritating, and the dreadful slapstick, running back & forth scene at the beginning had me cringing.

I'm glad someone enjoyed this episode, and I can certainly see the appeal, but I didn't really like it & I don't think it fits the series - even as a "breaking the format" one-off.

DavidXBrunt

Me and Pete verses the world then. That;s okay cause we're right and you're wrong.

Carlsborg Expert

Lobo Baggins

Well, I enjoyed that, no matter what anyone else says...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Lord Running Clam

Despite the episode being a case of ?too many cooks spoil the broth ?when it came to the amount of different ideas, ropey jokes and hammy acting (Kay really didn?t need to constantly stick his tongue so often as the alien), I quite enjoyed it.
 I can?t explain why, really, when I was all geared to dislike it from last week?s trailer.
I think it helped that Elton was so likable, and I wouldn?t mind seeing him again. It seems that Russell T. Davies has a  knack at coming up with blokes that would make better  companions  then Rose.

Next weeks looks like it could be cool.

Jim_Campbell

"Me and Pete verses the world then. That;s okay cause we're right and you're wrong."

Ahem ...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

paulvonscott

Umpty and me said we quite liked it as well.

Strange to see RTD defending fans on confidential, when he has been distancing the show from them as much as possible.

satchmo

I really enjoyed tonights episode, in fact its probably one of my favourites of the second series so far. Liked it more than the ropey cybermen story! Is it me or did the monster in the scooby doo opening scene look a bit like Billie Piper? yeah, probably just me... : )

Quirkafleeg

I pretty much liked it too. Apart from the last couple of minutes where the obligatory crap sex joke and gay propaganda was shoe-horned in...

Adrian Bamforth

It was shaping up to be one of the most original and admirable episodes ? I really liked the idea of the group eventually becoming more to do with friendship, and it dealt with the issue of what happens to all the people he?s met along the way. It was let down by the usual lack of grasp of science fiction ? it wasn?t particularly clear what the monster got from absorbing people and why The Doctor would be so desirable (he just didn?t seem like the type with a lust for knowledge), the ?absorbing into the earth? and miraculous job by The Doctor in saving one of them (did he use the screwdriver?) was laughable, and did Elton (please no more gay references) actually say at the end that it was all worthwhile even though all his friends were dead except for his favourite who was now a paving slab who could give him blow jobs?

Perhaps they should have asked the kid to write the ending as well.

ADE

Steve Green

Even taking into account the Scooby-doo chase being more Elton's interpretation than what actually happened. I thought it was dreadful.

It seemed to concentrate the worst of RTD's scripts (especially Aliens of London/WWIII) into one episode.

I'm not against breaking the format, and I liked the idea of people obsessed with the Doctor, but I think that would have worked better in a completely different episode. Shame they killed off Mark Benton's character in 'Rose'

- Steve

DavidXBrunt

This episode has brought out my favourite mad Who theory in a while. Ursula evolves into the Face of Boe.

Ursule, who pre absorption was the ultimate geek totty, now has no spit reflex or throat muscle. When ahem slip under her tongue she'd have to be rinsed under the tap or shaken upside down.

Anyone else seen The Five Doctors, by the way?

Link: http://www.ssrichardmontgomery.com/download/weirdsex.htm" target="_blank">A crack in the pavement.

Buttonman

"Anyone else seen The Five Doctors, by the way?"

Coincidentally I've got this in the post from Amazon.

It's bound to be the usual quarry set trash but I do remember from my youth a silver robot guy moving quick and killing a shed load of Cyber-Men. Cheaper on Amazon than eBay so an easy sell on.

I did (sadly) look up a fan site on the subject and seemingly Tom Baker didn't want in so they used footage from an unaired episode and said he was stuck on another planet. Sounds quality!

DavidXBrunt

There's fun to be had in that episode, I love the Raston Warrior Robot you describe. For all the wrong reasons. However Pertwee, Troughton, and Courtney are all on fine form. Hmmmm. Going to watch it in the morning.

Al_Ewing

I found it a thrill a minute. To have a shark in the 'sea of time' was special enough, but to have the Doctor jumping over it on waterskis, pulled by the Tardis, made it even more powerful.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.