Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 17/05/08, 7.00,pm, The Unicorn & the Wasp...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 17 May, 2008, 04:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

pauljholden

Next week's episode 'Dr Who's Eurovision Song Contest'

Gay fore text? check - SO check
"don't do that"? Probably Terry will suggest that at some point.
"were not a couple"? I'm guessing weird European couple introducing songs will make some remark/unsubtle gesture to this effect.
magic amulet? Probably part of someone's crazy outfit
giant 'alien' animal? Wogan's wig.
historical writer worrying about their reputation? hmmm... unlikely...
Doctor expells poison 'amusingly'? unlikely...
characters hilariously talk about historical characters future? unlikely...

So, that's a solid five points or CINQ points for the next weeks Dr Who.

Also: I really enjoyed this episode. Not sure why the alien had to be a wasp rather than any other random alien creature (maybe it was a budget saving measure in the cgi? "Blimey, we need an alien! can we just blow up this wasp model we made for a documentary?" "yeah, hang on, I'll write something about stings and insecticides... yeah. that covers it...")

-pj

House of Usher

Fenella Woolgar (Agatha Christie) played the part of 'Agatha' in Bright Young Things! Cool. I thought I recognized her from her patrician profile (yes, her nose).

Incidentally, I recommend Bright Young Things. Splendid film - I only caught up with it this very year. Fenella Woolgar was really rather cute in that.
STRIKE !!!

Bad Andy

I thought this was the most average episode of the series. I am a bit sick of them bumping into the 'BEST' writers in the world EVA to tell the truth.

The fact that the wasp had a two-way mind-meld with Agatha through her books is a bit of a leap in logic, and unnecessary to the plot. One way - fine. But we are talking about a member of the gentry having sex with a giant alien wasp.

Just realised that there was no sonic screwdriver - that must be a first for New Who.

opaque

>Not sure why the alien had to be a wasp rather than any other random alien creature<

It was the book cover that inspired RTD to use it as a story.

>member of the gentry having sex with a giant alien wasp<

Well she had sex with him in his human form. Not the most stupid or most unlikely thing we've seen on Dr Who!

>I am a bit sick of them bumping into the 'BEST' writers in the world EVA to tell the truth. <

Well 'Mr Thompson the Bank manager meets the Doctor and demands he repays his overdraft' wouldn't make a very interesting story would it!

The difference here is that the Doctor didn't seem to know that Agatha Christie was going to be there and not at the day before she went missing. This says that the Tardis has control over such things, not just the Doctor.

The only way of avoiding such stories which lots of people seem to be very annoyed about (and I was fed up with all the earth-centric stories in S2) is to have more distant planet stories which are more expensive. I also think we need to have some decent 3 parters.

Leigh S

That would suggest that the only interesting historical figures are writers, though?  Seems a very self absorbed line to take.

OK, we cant have soldiers or Generals anymore, as they are BAD PEOPLE, this has been made clear... but even with that restriction, theres still plenty of historically interesting occupations out there.

House of Usher

Please not Florence Nightingale...
STRIKE !!!

JimBob

The anti-soldier thing is getting increasingly silly. I look forward to the episode in which he has a pop against some soldiers for fighting the Nazis, or maybe some explorers for carrying guns.I'ld like to see some one rip into him for being a hypocrite sometime, especially when you take into account his bodycount.

Dark Jimbo

Missed it yet again. Over the course of the last two series, I've only managed to catch three episodes - and one of those was the bleedin' awful Titanic episode at christmas.

You'd think, given that this is such a flagship series for the BBC, they'd repeat it at some point, wouldn't you? It beggars belief that there's only one showing and that's your lot.
@jamesfeistdraws

Will I. Cooling

They repeat it twice on BBC3 (sundays and fridays) and its on IPLAYER all week.
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

longmanshort

Please not Florence Nightingale...

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHWtXSKSQSY" target="_blank">The trouble is she's such a terribly, terribly goo

+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Bad Andy

Well she had sex with him in his human form. Not the most stupid or most unlikely thing we've seen on Dr Who!

I wasn't complaining, I was suggesting that I shouldn't be expecting too much logic.

Well 'Mr Thompson the Bank manager meets the Doctor and demands he repays his overdraft' wouldn't make a very interesting story would it!

Well on that scale of things, there are far more interesting people than writers in the past - ie people who actually DO things rather than just write about them. I'm more disillusioned by the formulaic way in which they are handled - dropping in future plot ideas for them, treating them as if the Dr has written EVERYTHING by them and remembered them ALL and they're brilliant (possible I know, just irritating). It just seems  the easy way to get a few cheap laughs.

House of Usher

Such a terribly, terribly good nurse.

Oh my goodness, Mike.

:o
STRIKE !!!

DavidXBrunt

In terms of celebrity historicals Terance Dicks Revenge of the Judoon was pitched as The Doctor meets Winsotn Churchill. The production team thought that was far too good an idea to throw away in a novella so the story became The Doctor meets Arthur Conan Doyle (again).

So we may, or may not, get Churchil in Who come 2010.

Mr C

I can't believe no one noticed that the man in the wheel chair was Henry Gordon Jago from "The Talons of Weng-Chiang"

Tsk.