Main Menu

THE ANTI SCI-FI BRIGADE

Started by zombemybabynow, 26 May, 2009, 03:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEdge

STAR TREK

I spent an hour trying to explain the new movie is in an [spoiler:18xk4h6l]ALTERNATE REALITY[/spoiler:18xk4h6l]
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

Buttonman

Willow you say? As in Willow.

Let's have a look...Yes! Rubbishness Confirmed!

johnnystress

Quote from: "TheEdge"STAR TREK

I spent an hour trying to explain the new movie is in an [spoiler:3kto8h6g]ALTERNATE REALITY[/spoiler:3kto8h6g]

Having to explain why the USS Enterprise never meets anyone from Star Wars...

When I finally bought An American Werewolf in London I was basking in it's goodness when my girlfriend goes "It's a bit shit isn't it"

That was  couple of years ago and I'm still trying to absorb it so i can retaliate

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: "johnnystress"When I finally bought An American Werewolf in London I was basking in it's goodness when my girlfriend goes "It's a bit shit isn't it"

That was  couple of years ago and I'm still trying to absorb it so i can retaliate

Seriously, that would be a deal-breaker in my book. When I met my wife, after several club-nights of small-talk, I finally took her out on a proper 'date'. It was only when we started talking about favourite films and she knew, and liked, American Werewolf, Wicker Man, The Thing and The Fog, that I relaxed and thought this might work. When I realised she shared my love of Peter Cushing and Vincent Price, I excused myself ostensibly to go to the bog, nipped out the window and went to put some money down on the ring.

I can live with her complete disinterest in comics, but a slating of American Werewolf- she may as well have laughed at my penis and punched me in the face.

Steev

Bouwel

Not exactly anti sci-fi but funny all the same:

It's a steamy evening and the packed cinema is hushed watching The Next Generation crew on their first solo outing in Generations. The doors open, and in comes a man much the worse for drink. He slowly makes his way past many people to the center of the row with many half-drunk burbled 'Scuse me's. The film continues. Picard strides across the screen in a defiant manner, broking no challenge when from the drunk in row 3C (a few seats from myself) comes the following hushed comment:

[spoiler:5nva38q8]That's not fucking Kirk!! I'm not paying to watch this shoite!!![/spoiler:5nva38q8]

Exit drunk, stage left leaving a rather quiet and thoughtful audience.

Still...better than when I went to see the Judge Dredd film and sat in an auditorium empty apart from myself and one tramp. High-light of the film was going up to the booth to wake the projectionist to ask him to kindly show more of the film on the screen and not off onto the wall on the left.

Happy days.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Buttonman

If, after watching a film, I suggest to friends that a certain plot contrivance was a bit far fetched they inevtable reply 'Yes Steve but you think Robo-Cop' is real.

And I honestly don't!

Peter Wolf

"Still...better than when I went to see the Judge Dredd film and sat in an auditorium empty apart from myself and one tramp. High-light of the film was going up to the booth to wake the projectionist to ask him to kindly show more of the film on the screen and not off onto the wall on the left.

Happy days.

-Bouwel-"

Who let the dog in for free ??
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Daveycandlish

Just told my Missus of this discussion and she said "How can you not like American Werewolf?!! It's a classic! And it's got Jenny Agutter in it - in the nip - for the lads!"

You know, when she's right, she's right. :D
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: "Daveycandlish"Just told my Missus of this discussion and she said "How can you not like American Werewolf?!! It's a classic! And it's got Jenny Agutter in it - in the nip - for the lads!"

You know, when she's right, she's right. :D

Do you know, up until recently, I worked very closely with Jenny Agutter's cousin.

Who, sadly, is a man.

Steev

(Note: Oddly, I bristle at Am.We.Lon being called "a classic"- entirely because I find it distressing to think that it's nearly thirty years old. I still consider it "a modern horror film". Good grud, I am old.)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "Daveycandlish"Just told my Missus of this discussion and she said "How can you not like American Werewolf?!! It's a classic! And it's got Jenny Agutter in it - in the nip - for the lads!"

The first time I watched American Werewolf, myself and a couple of mates sat down with some beers and popped the video on. After a little while, one of my mates says to the screen "Look, Jenny, you've been in this film for a full twenty minutes and you haven't got your kit off yet -- ooh, hello!"

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

volo

I just absolutely hate Star Trek. All of them.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "volo"I just absolutely hate Star Trek. All of them.

I agree.

Buttonman

Although lovely, we connoisseurs of Ms Agutter regard 'An American Werewolf in London' as a lesser jenny. Check out 'Equus' for her full range of talents. If you like her as a scientist in a Time Tunnel parody check out my recently uploaded clip from 'The All New Alexei Sayle show : DRUNK IN TIME

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: "Buttonman"Although lovely, we connoisseurs of Ms Agutter regard 'An American Werewolf in London' as a lesser jenny. Check out 'Equus' for her full range of talents. If you like her as a scientist in a Time Tunnel parody check out my recently uploaded clip from 'The All New Alexei Sayle show : DRUNK IN TIME

I love Equus. The play (as in the "book"), the stage production, always have, always will. But I've never seen the film. I really should, shouldn't I?

Steev

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "SpookyTheCat"I love Equus. The play (as in the "book"), the stage production, always have, always will. But I've never seen the film. I really should, shouldn't I?

Steev

yes you should, Richard Burton, always watchable.