Main Menu

Which 'villains' would you want to see in Dredd sequels?

Started by judgeblake, 01 August, 2012, 04:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: Lee Bates on 02 August, 2012, 03:11:37 PM
Since it's been semi-confirmed that Dredd 2 would be set in the Cursed Earth and feature am 'Origins'-esque storyline, I'd like to see Dredd and his team (including Anderson and Giant) under attack from a mutant army lead by the Angel Gang.

Yes it would be a shame to have a story set in the Cursed Earth which didn't involve the Angel gang in some way.

Also I think the art contest winner has a good take on the Dark Judges.

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 02 August, 2012, 09:23:04 AM
FIRST PLACE

THEY ARE HERE

THEY ARE HERE

darnmarr

Quote from: Bat King on 01 August, 2012, 10:14:49 PM
Not heard of this P J Interesting...
'PJ Interesting' is so-called because he possesses a fascinating set of pyjamas.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 02 August, 2012, 03:28:31 PM

It's an interesting concept and well realised but I think one of the things about the Dark Judges is how individual each of them look whereas each of the concept DJs are of the one style. The concept DJs are too much of a deviation from the originals that I think it would be a case of if they change them that much why bother?

The film version Dredd, with a little toning down, is still visually the same design and character as the comic. The Dark Judges must be rendered in much the same way.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 02 August, 2012, 03:42:49 PM
The concept DJs are too much of a deviation from the originals that I think it would be a case of if they change them that much why bother?

Agreed. If DNA want to avoid finding themselves in the same invidious position as the holders of the Bat and Spider franchises, of having to reboot the series every couple of years so they can tell the same stories with the same characters all over again; then mimicing the Dredd strip's ability to effortlessly incorporate a host of different genres, narrative modes and visual styles would be a good place to start.

The abrupt changes of genre and visual aesthetic between Ridley Scott and James Cameron's Alien films extended the life and expanded the scope of the series. Like the returning Ripley and Geiger's alien, the established design of the Judges, MC1 and Dredd himself provide the visual constants that would allow the gear change from Sci-fi/Action into Gothic Horror to be performed smoothly and without slamming the brakes on the whole enterprise.

judgeblake

Since it's been semi-confirmed that Dredd 2 would be set in the Cursed Earth and feature am 'Origins'-esque storyline, I'd like to see Dredd and his team (including Anderson and Giant) under attack from a mutant army lead by the Angel Gang.

Looks like we'll be getting Death and his pals for part 3.

where was this semi-confirmed...I must have missed it

judgeblake

Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 02 August, 2012, 03:28:31 PM

Yes it would be a shame to have a story set in the Cursed Earth which didn't involve the Angel gang in some way.

I like that artwork alot -
but what I liked about the Dark Judges is that they're otherworldly. I liked the way the computer game Dredd VS Death dealt with the dark judges they are not of Dredd's universe and should be treated that way. I'd like it if Judge Cal or some pyschopath used some kind of occultist sect to open a portal for the Dark Judges to enter through. 

PreacherCain

Spaceghost

Quote from: judgeblake on 02 August, 2012, 05:58:30 PM

Alex Garland has outlined his plans for a trilogy of films with a Cursed Earth/Origins story for part 2 and the Dark Judges for part 3. It's not set in stone but he said that it would probably go that way.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

judgeblake

Quote from: Lee Bates on 02 August, 2012, 08:02:17 PM
Quote from: judgeblake on 02 August, 2012, 05:58:30 PM

Alex Garland has outlined his plans for a trilogy of films with a Cursed Earth/Origins story for part 2 and the Dark Judges for part 3. It's not set in stone but he said that it would probably go that way.

very cool!!! if I can say that and it doesnt sound naff and 80s lol
can anyone link me to the source interview/material?

JOE SOAP

Buttonman

Russell Muscle, The Phantom of the Shoperetta and if time permits Stan Lee.

HunterZolomon

Sounds great to me, basically my wishlist. There are so many good Cursed Earth enemies though, the Angel Gang is not at the top of my list. I love Satanus but I think it would be really hard to convey what made him so cool in the comic book. The backstory with his mom (who is even worse) and the duel on top of the volcano was really what made him different from just a rampaging T-Rex.

The DJs are so obvious as a finale, I just hope they don't go to Nolan on us in regards to that. Bring on the supernatural nightmares in all their glory! I even have a teaser for DREDD 3 running in my head, see my Dark Judges post.

Richard

NOT the Angel Gang or Rico, for goodness's sake!
The new films should not have anything in them reminiscent of the 1995 film.
Why would you just do a re-hash of the failed, discredited Stallone movie and thereby give all non-fans the impression that there is nothing else to Dredd than the same old recurring villains, as if there is not a huge cast from 1800 back issues of fresh material? I can't think of anything else which would make a sequel less likely to happen.