Main Menu

Judge Dredd Megazine 342

Started by IndigoPrime, 16 November, 2013, 03:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Bit of a clearing the decks feel this month, as two series conclude to make way for the Christmas issue. Colin MacNeil's cover art sets you up for an unsurprisingly grim finale to Insurrection. I've not been as wowed by this strip as many readers, but it's certainly been a solid performer throughout its run, and one of the better war stories in the Meg (or, indeed, 2000 AD in general).

The lead Dredd is Worley/Willsher, and is quite by-the-numbers, but nonetheless a decent one-shot, with some dynamic art. It also feels suitably messy, taking place in the remains of the city after Chaos Day. Underbelly concludes the other Dredd, in what feels more like a three-issue experiment than a vision of Dredd that's going to stick around. After this conclusion, I'm still unsure what I thought about Underbelly—it seemed oddly flat at times; still, I'd be enthusiastic to see more movie-universe Dredd, given that it's unlikely we'll ever see more on the big screen.

Elsewhere, Ordinary continues to me my favourite thing in any 2000 AD title (fantastic art and a script that's rattling along at a fair pace), there's an in-depth and insightful interview with Will Simpson (and a shorter one with Warwick Johnson Cadwell), and an amusingly satirical festive Dredd pic that I assume is next month's cover.

On the way: a Carroll-scripted Christmas Dredd, Anderson, DeMarco (also by Carroll), Ordinary, and a Simon Harrison interview. DeMarco gets the next trade, and Lobster Random's this month's, collecting 1411–1419, and then bundling a couple of bonus Future Shocks.

Mattofthespurs

Really enjoyed this issue. Maybe more so because 2000 AD failed to turn up so it was this or nothing.
Enjoyed the Lobster thing floppie too.

Great review. Post it to your blogs.

Hail me.

IronGraham

Really like the Meg alot this was another solid issue i always read this before 2000AD when they arrive
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Cactus

The last few pages of Insurrection had me welling up. Great storytelling from Abnett and McNeill, as always. Ordinary is wonderfully insanely marvellous. Slugs for hair!  :lol:

Check out the names on the badges on the last page of Judge Dredd (not Dredd). A nice touch considering the week it goes on sale.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Hawkmumbler

Really need to catch up on my meg reading. I hope the price of back issues drops if there is a christmas sale.

Dandontdare

"Lab On" (and the accompanying slogan) made me gufffaw! I thought this was a good solid Dredd, as was the conclusion to Underbelly.

Insurrection came to a suitably grim conclusion, top work from script and art droids.

Ordinary is just amazing - I am loving everything about this strip. I tend to rush through it first to see where the story's going and then go back for a detailed perusal, especially all the background supers.

Proudhuff

gad! my subbie has ran out and not yet got the squandids to revive it...

will have to trawl FP per issue meantime

Dreddlines update anyone?
DDT did a job on me

IronGraham

We're werewolves not swearwolves

AlexF

Ordinary really is fantastic, isn't it.

I continue to rate Insurrection as one of the best ever strips in the Megazine, but I didn't quite get the emotional kick that the finale seemed to demand. I understand that's it down to MacNeil's health, which is totally not his or anyone's fault, but the art sadly suffers in comparison to the sumptuous panting from books I and II.

That said, I am very intrgued to see where Abnett will go next with this - anyone got any speculation about the jnew story hinted at? Will Dredd/a dredd clone/Hershey get involved in prosecuting war criminals? It would be a crying shame not to see more from the uplifts and the droids in particular.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 17 November, 2013, 04:10:51 PM
Really need to catch up on my meg reading. I hope the price of back issues drops if there is a christmas sale.

I'm happy to pass mine on at much cheapness (plus postage) if you'd like to PM me what you'd like?
DDT did a job on me

Mikey

I thought the Dredd sequel was brilliant and was sorry to see it ending. That double page by Flint was chuffing marvellous and I can't believe I've never seen it done before. Brilliant.

Ordinary is probably my favourite current strip, though I think the Meg's on cracking form overall right now.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Mabs

I popped into my local W.H Smith's to pick up my copy of this months Meg, but would you believe it, the idiots do not have it! Out of all the places you'd atleast expect to find it there....but all's not lost. I did pick up this week's prog, so the Meg'll have to wait till next week. Arse.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Zarjazzer

You can't kill ideas...good meg generally Insurrection bows out well, the two Dredds are both suitably grim and Ordinary whilst it will never be my favourite overall at least has a lovely last panel... :o Lobster is mad and zany and I liked it a lot  but king of the caps boxes or what.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me