Main Menu

Meg 347

Started by Banners, 12 April, 2014, 09:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkDaysBish-OP

This would have been just after I took over at 2000AD, so early 1996.

Richard

Thanks for the answer.

Frank

Quote from: DarkDaysBish-OP on 26 April, 2014, 01:30:26 PM
I vaguely recall Grant [& Mark?] proposing a longer Janus story that would act as a finale for the various plot threads with that character's stories. Something about a God Judge or a Judge God. For better or worse, I turned it down.

davidbishop

If our paths should ever cross, I owe you a pint.

staticgirl

Yeah that was a good decision.

Spaceghost

Just got around to reading this last night.

That's not a particularly interesting cover is it? If I was curious about Judge Dredd, this cover would not entice me to pick up the issue. I realise not every cover can be Dredd waving his Lawgiver around (ooer), but this is brown, drab and indistinct.

The Dredd strip is a 'monster of the week' but I don't mind. Angry mutant killer orang utan is a good monster. Wonder if it's a disgrunted relative of Mayor Dave come to exact revenge? Lovely Boo Cook art.

Erm, did DiMarco just [spoiler]shoot someone's leg off[/spoiler]? Right in front of a Judge? Can someone pleas explain to me why she wasn't immediately banged up for [spoiler]assault[/spoiler]? Also, have I missed something or do we still not have any idea who The Whisper is/was? Shonky plot coupled with whispy art add up to a not very good story for me.

I did enjoy the Tales of Mega City One. The snapshot of life for an average citizen was interesting. When you're that bored and seemingly unnecessary to society, I can imagine you would jump on any crazy bandwagon just for some feeling of belonging. The villains plot seemed a bit long-winded and prone to failure but I can put that down to him being a fruitcake.

Still enjoying Anderson. Nice to see ties to the Cadet Anderson strip from the prog. Loved the bike cannon execution scene and Shenker's panicked reaction. The art is gorgeous too.

I've been a huge (pun) Godzilla fan since I was a nipper and I'm really looking forward to the new film, so I enjoyed the article. The only small issue I had was the Gojira is not 'literally translated' as gorilla-whale. It's just made up of the 'go' from gorilla and the 'jira' from 'kujira' which is the Japanese word for whale.

The Meg is still really good at the moment and the new series starting next week looks intriguing. Good time to be reading.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 25 April, 2014, 08:01:55 AM
I'm still thoroughly enjoying this Anderson story ... (c)ould it be our man Algol Rey (hey, no idea what it means, but his name is an anagram of allegory!) has been hiding in plain sight messing with Anderson's head all along?

Nice observation. Nobody else entertained by events in Dredd starting off in the JOHN FOXX UNDERPASS?

Proudhuff

Quote from: sauchie on 26 April, 2014, 02:46:52 PM
Quote from: DarkDaysBish-OP on 26 April, 2014, 01:30:26 PM
I vaguely recall Grant [& Mark?] proposing a longer Janus story that would act as a finale for the various plot threads with that character's stories. Something about a God Judge or a Judge God. For better or worse, I turned it down.

davidbishop

If our paths should ever cross, I owe you a pint.

and one from me.

John Foxx? I saw his Ultravox support Eddie and the Hotrods, still have a poster for it somewhere!!
DDT did a job on me

GordonR

Quote from: Richard on 18 April, 2014, 11:58:02 AM
Although Janus was an annoying character, I think the series was redeemed a bit by Paul Johnson's art (except in the one-off story). Whatever happened to him?

From Wikipedia:
QuoteDisillusioned with the opportunities available to him, Johnson retrained as an acupuncturist and herbalist. He is now in private practice and lectures regularly at LCTA, England's largest college dedicated to teaching Traditional Chinese Medicine. He is the chief presenter on How To Locate Acupuncture Points - The Definitive DVD, released in 2008.

Strangely for Wikipedia, this is actually true. Many years ago, Paul was going to do a book with me for Dark Horse, but had to be replaced by another artist, due to a heavy workload on the courses he was taking in pin and herb magic.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Spaceghost on 01 May, 2014, 08:50:01 AM
Erm, did DiMarco just [spoiler]shoot someone's leg off[/spoiler]? Right in front of a Judge? Can someone pleas explain to me why she wasn't immediately banged up for [spoiler]assault[/spoiler]?

Anyone?...Anyone?...Bueller?...Bueller?

Come on; Sauchie and Tordelback usually CANNOT BE STOPPED  when it comes to pontificating on the finer points of Judicial conduct and associated matters. I need answers.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Frank

Quote from: Spaceghost on 02 May, 2014, 11:29:00 AM
Quote from: Spaceghost on 01 May, 2014, 08:50:01 AM
Erm, did DiMarco just [spoiler]shoot someone's leg off[/spoiler]? Right in front of a Judge? Can someone pleas explain to me why she wasn't immediately banged up for [spoiler]assault[/spoiler]?

Anyone?...Anyone?...Bueller?...Bueller? Come on; Sauchie and Tordelback usually CANNOT BE STOPPED  when it comes to pontificating on the finer points of Judicial conduct and associated matters. I need answers.

Gimme a break, I only read that issue this morning. I don't have any proper answers anyway; I usually just paraphrase whatever TordelBack says with more adjectives and a link to something Jacques Derrida wrote. Mike Carroll's a big lad and he seems to read these pages, maybe he can explain what - on the face of it - looks like the concept of judicial discretion taken to unprecedented extremes.

Proudhuff

perhaps its a Jurisdiction thing?  :think:
DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

Just remembered where I saw that Orangutan before. He was in a Cursed Earth Tale from last year, or maybe the year before. Either way, it was also drawn by Cook so i'm certain it's the same character.

Old Tankie

First time I've read the Meg for ages, a complimentary copy was passed on to me, really enjoyed it, might actually start buying it again.

ZenArcade

Pretty much 100% sure you're right re the Orangutan Hawk. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Dandontdare

Pretty much 100% sure Old Tankie's right about the current Meg