Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Captain Marvel Thought it was alright. I especially enjoyed the scenes where Caroll visits Rambeau. Could'v done with more of that. Just a shame she'll probably have a role in ruining Thanos' success in Infinity war  :'(

And I also really liked the cat in the film.

#THANOSDIDNOTHINGWRONG

broodblik

Watched Captain Marvel as well. I can recommend to both movie to anyone that is either a Marvel or Sci-Fi fan. No need to know anything about the extended universe to enjoy the movie. The cat as already stated is the coolest. 
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Mattofthespurs

Serenity with  Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway and Diane Lane.

Better than expected. Very pretty to look at with a slight twist halfway through which completely changes the direction of the film.

Professor Bear

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - a good cast wasted on a dreadful script filled with not-great cgi setpieces.  This is named after a 30 year old hair metal song, so it's not the first movie to be called Welcome To The Jungle and I can safely say that not only is it one of the lesser movies called Welcome To The Jungle, it's not even the best movie featuring The Rock called Welcome To The Jungle.
More like... uh... You Are Welcome To The Bloody Jungle Because It Is Shit.  Hey, they didn't put any effort into their script I don't see why I should put any effort into insulting it.

Mattofthespurs

Captain Marvel.

Thumbs up from me too. Lighter in tone and content than the usual Marvel fare but a fun movie all the same.

Somewhat perturbed that the 90's is being looked at through nostalgic eyes as it only seems to have happened a couple of years ago to me.

Cool cat.

Professor Bear

I thought the 1990s being presented as a distinctive period in history was too soon for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, and that came out in 2004.  It didn't even register with me that Treme was a period piece because it was "only" set in 2005.

Mattofthespurs

Bohemian Rhapsody.

Decent enough but uplift beyond the mediocre by the last 20 mins.
The final scenes over the credits show what a real showman Freddie truly was.

Not enough music but a fond epitaph none the less.

Keef Monkey

Watched Life on Netflix, which didn't seem to generate much buzz when it came out so I'd sort of forgotten it existed. Turned out to be really enjoyable! A good tense threat on a space station movie that takes some surprisingly brutal and dark turns (the Hollywood cast and glossy production had me expecting a much tamer affair). Enjoyed it enough that I'm surprised I've never heard anyone talking about it, but since I watched it and started mentioning it to people it's become apparent it does actually have quite a few fans.

Also watched Repo Man, which was fun. Such an odd, punky movie, with an entertainingly anarchic style. I knew nothing about it going in so was a bit taken aback by the weirder moments, in a good way! Lots of people call each other dildos, and it has some great Harry Dean Stanton moments. Also reminded me that Emilio Estevez is pretty great in the right part.

Oh, and obviously Captain Marvel, which I thought was a really good Marvel movie. Maybe not in my personal top tier (my faves are the Guardians and Thor movies) but also maybe is up there (I'll need to watch it some more and see where it sticks)! On a first watch it was definitely cracking.

It's funny, thought the story was really good and more interesting and surprising than I've found some other superhero movies, Brie Larson was massively charismatic in the role (not to mention stunning) and the action scenes were exciting.

I don't quite get why [spoiler]everyone seems to be going nuts about the cat, but then I've never found cats cute or automatically amusing for some reason, so there's probably something wrong with me. I did find the running joke quite funny, but while waiting for the final post-credits scene I turned to my other half and jokingly said 'if this is a lazy cat gag then I'll be a bit disappointed'. I was a bit disappointed.[/spoiler] The rest of it was great though!

Also great to see the box office going so great for it, we all know it anyway but it's always nice to see it confirmed by the numbers that the whole MRA tantrum movement are a noisy but very insignificant demographic.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Professor Bear on 10 March, 2019, 02:39:46 PM
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - a good cast wasted on a dreadful script filled with not-great cgi setpieces.  This is named after a 30 year old hair metal song, so it's not the first movie to be called Welcome To The Jungle and I can safely say that not only is it one of the lesser movies called Welcome To The Jungle, it's not even the best movie featuring The Rock called Welcome To The Jungle.
More like... uh... You Are Welcome To The Bloody Jungle Because It Is Shit.  Hey, they didn't put any effort into their script I don't see why I should put any effort into insulting it.

I loved this. I really loved my 7 year old loving it. I think you may not have been the targe audience.
Lock up your spoons!

Tiplodocus

Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

From having a title that tries far too hard to not even having the decency to cast Gemma Arterton and Bill Nighy, this was always struggling.

About a third of the way through, I realised that the story I really wanted to see was Elizabeth and her resistance and [spoiler]ultimately, her death[/spoiler] but no, we get another 70 minutes of a writer struggling to find themselves and love. That guy from Game Of Thrones and Hill House is quite handsome. But I have no idea what accent he was going for.

More like SHITerary Society.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 11 March, 2019, 04:22:46 PM
QuoteYou Are Welcome To The Bloody Jungle Because It Is Shit.

I loved this. I really loved my 7 year old loving it. I think you may not have been the targe audience.

I think you're right that I'm not the target audience, but considering it's named for a 30 year old hair metal song and the makers don't seem to know how videogames work, I'm not sure who the target audience actually was.

Theblazeuk

I mean that's exactly how videogames work isn't it?

Apestrife

They shall not grow old Only thing I could fault it for is that the b/w introduction went on for a bit too long, the rest of it is brilliant. I've been thinking of wanting to see Charly's war on the big screen and I think this did the job. Young men (mostly boys) stuck up to their knees in mud made out of death and shit, and amazingly some of them manage (at least seem to) survive as humans, and not just survive. A horrifying and amazing film which I hope alot of people get to see.

The Legendary Shark

Another thumbs-up for Captain Marvel from me. It's astonishing how these films keep up such a high standard, for the most part (Fantastic Four and Venom, I'm looking at you), and this one is no different. It's fast, fun and even inspiring - a worthy addition to the series.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Theblazeuk

Well, I mean there's an obvious reason there - "These Films" don't include FF and Venom, and the last Spiderman was so much better than the previous because it became 'These Films' (the MCU)