Main Menu

sequel?

Started by sharkeyfinn, 18 January, 2013, 09:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molch-R

hippynumber1

'Up' is a funny little word isn't it...

sharkeyfinn

hi guys,wow, this topic certainly generates some interest, i felt i may have been a bit behind the times ;-) . i have read most of the posts here,and they seem to have gone from "no no chance of a sequel" to "green light" so am i to assume the dvd/blu ray sales are giving our dreams a fighting chance now?
regarding thoughts of a tv show, personally,i hope not, i find most tv shows always follow a very similar vien these days(maybe its coz im getting older lol) and it usually means things like the grittyness of the movie,get watered down,and then things start getting changed etc etc.so personally,i would prefer any efforts to be aimed at sequels rather than tv.
I have been chewing over the idea of the dark judges for a sequel,and have to admit,i really dont know if they would work in the world that carl has created for us, the movie mc1 is what i feel it would really be like in our grandchildrens futures,and bringing in extra dimensional characters, i feel wouldnt work,and would also catapult urbans dredd off in an uncomfortable direction.
However, the way i feel you could bring this plotline in, would be that,as stated by the cheif judge, the judges were losing the war on the streets.obviously resources would be in short supply and so on. so,what if the techies had been dabbling with dimenssion travel to find an alternate earth to move to,only to find dj and the boys, could that be a way of breaking the barrior between gritty realism and fantasy.
i really do hope there is more to come,i cant stop watching my bluray, it just seems to get better each time i watch it,even the "im wearing my dads helmet" seems to have disappeared for me now.i also feel there are some real nods towards blade runner in this movie,and the oh so subtle humour is great.

Emp

IF there was a sequel it would need to be bigger and badder ( to use movie reviewer terms) and that in itself tends to narrow what can be taken from 2000AD. Judge Child, Apocalypse War, The Day the Law Died and so on are immediately out the window. This leaves us looking for a one shot foe who can test Dredd and at the same time make use of CGI etc. Sure you could have Stan come in but a big fight is not going to put bums on seats.
Dredd, if it gets a sequel is never going to be a franchise along the lines of Star Wars/Trek and needs to have the Death in any sequel in the hope that a 3rd would be Judge Death lives.

That said i see no sequel on the horizon :(

Beadle68

I would like to think a sequel is not impossible just not as immediate as one would have hoped for.As regards to a T.V series I think there is far more scope to show a lot more of Dredd's world  than a two hour film,so not against the idea.Plus as mentioned elsewhere it would be seen by a lot more people raising the awareness of the character and the comics,which can only be a positive. :thumbsup:

Pete Wells

In the sequel will Dredd be gay or straight or does that take us to five sequels?

Hawkmumbler

Sexuality to one side, I think The Day the Law Died is a corcking fit for sequel material, cue wise at least. Some things are gonna be removed, can't see Klegg's working in this vision. And constant Dredd vs. another judge is gonna look sloppy and hard to follow. there gonna have to be swifty with this one. Leave globe trotting to a possible third film.

sharkeyfinn

having been away from 2000ad for some years now i apologise if im factually off,but is judge armitige(sorry spelling) the british judge still around or did he bite the dust? i ask as regarding sequels,wouldnt the atlantic bridge and a view and story involving dredds british counter parts be a possible avenue? i always thought arma....arme.....you know who, was a cracking if under used character. and the black atlantic with its muties always stirred my imagination. just a thought ;-)

dracula1

Can't wait for the sequel in whatever form it takes  :P

Who knows Sly may reprise the role (he's had that much face work done it'd be a plus for him to keep the helmet on).

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: sharkeyfinn on 28 January, 2013, 09:16:07 PM
having been away from 2000ad for some years now i apologise if im factually off,but is judge armitige(sorry spelling) the british judge still around or did he bite the dust? i ask as regarding sequels,wouldnt the atlantic bridge and a view and story involving dredds british counter parts be a possible avenue? i always thought arma....arme.....you know who, was a cracking if under used character. and the black atlantic with its muties always stirred my imagination. just a thought ;-)
Armitage is still around albait in the Megazine (I think it always was actualy) and on a yearly basis. I'n the time i've been reading there's only been one story, The Underground. And expanding on Dredd's world beyond MC1 is something I thought they would have played down to mere whispers.

Mark Taylor

Anyone who cares to search past posts to this forum will find that I personally green-lit a sequel several months ago. So as the sequel already has my go-ahead I fail to see what more could possibly be needed.

shigatsu

It'd be a real shame if there wasn't a sequel, but I suppose if we're patient we may get to see one eventually... I did enjoy Dredd overall (even though my 3D cinema experience was a real disappointment, and my fondness for nostalgia means I'll always prefer the '95 Judge Dredd to any new versions) and I was impressed with most elements of it, but personally it did feel like it was just getting started as there is so much left to explore. It'd be kind of unfair to all the fans out there not to make a few more at some point!

Stu101

Quote from: shigatsu on 01 March, 2013, 11:36:22 PM
I did enjoy Dredd overall (even though my 3D cinema experience was a real disappointment, and my fondness for nostalgia means I'll always prefer the '95 Judge Dredd to any new versions)

....what? really....? Prefer the '95 Dredd, to any new versions? Wow!...

shigatsu

Quote from: Stu101 on 01 March, 2013, 11:55:49 PM
I did enjoy Dredd overall (even though my 3D cinema experience was a real disappointment, and my fondness for nostalgia means I'll always prefer the '95 Judge Dredd to any new versions)

Haha, that sounds a little crazy doesn't it?! It's just that I really liked that film as a child, regardless of its flaws, and I haven't seen it in a few years so will of course remember it with rose tinted glasses :) I've really been wanting to rewatch it so I can do a proper comparison (and probably remind myself how bad it was!), but it's not easy to find it :/

Emp

Quote from: shigatsu on 02 March, 2013, 12:10:42 AM
Quote from: Stu101 on 01 March, 2013, 11:55:49 PM

Haha, that sounds a little crazy doesn't it?! It's just that I really liked that film as a child, regardless of its flaws, and I haven't seen it in a few years so will of course remember it with rose tinted glasses :) I've really been wanting to rewatch it so I can do a proper comparison (and probably remind myself how bad it was!), but it's not easy to find it :/

Do yourself a favour...keep those rose tinted glasses on and remember the fun you had, because trust me you do not want to put it up against the new one. My wife thought it would be a great idea to compare them after watching DREDD. Like a fool i went along with the idea. Its best to just remember the good parts of Stallones attempts than to revisit the abomination that the film actually was.