Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exilewood

Quote from: fonky on 22 February, 2012, 06:22:16 AM
This morning I'm waking up to the dulcet tones of..

"Hawks and Doves" by Neil Young.

Hell of a way to wake up there Fonk. Seems more topical now than when he released it.
Captain Kennedy still destroys me.

Gonk

Thanks exilewood, we don't do things by half measures in the house of fonkity fonk!

There is something about Neil Young's singing, something in his voice I can't pin point that makes me feel...weird. It's the sign of good song writing if the stuff still sounds as fresh to day as it did 32 years ago.

I'm now listening to "Fast Man, Raider Man" by Frank Black. This is a brilliant dbl c.d. album with some well written songs on it and some wonderful musicians. John Barleycorn is my favourite song, and there is a cover version of "Dirty Old Town" on here too which just has to be the best cover version of it I've heard. Mrs Fonky would disagree on that one though!
coming at a cinema near you soon

von Boom

A blast from the past, but still a great record. Can I still call it an record?

JvB

I, Cosh

Finally got round to buying Tim Hecker's RaveDeath, 1972 yesterday. It's probably as good as everyone said. Now desperately want to see him perform it live with an actual church organ.

Been listening to Drexciya quite a bit this week. I deeply regret being such an indie twat as a teenager that it's taken me twenty years to catch up with music this good: Wavejumper.
We never really die.

Gonk

thanks cosh it sounds good as ever.

"Walking into Clarksdale" by Page and Plant. Some nice choons here too.

Spikes

Blimey Mr Fonk, you must own more records than DLT, Bruno Brookes and Mike Reid combined.
Had my Madness couple of days, gonna dig out some Elvis Costello now - anyone for Armed forces?

Great stuff,  perhaps his most consistent album. Dont think Elvis put a foot wrong in those early years - apart from doing that grud awful production job on the first Specials LP, that is.

Gonk

Well that is one I don't have. Nice cover. I see his new live show REVOLVER looks interesting with him inviting the audience to spin a gigantic vaudevillian contraption on stage and select the next song.

If you like Def Leppard von Boom you might like this, if you haven't already heard it :

JOHN WESLEY

CHASING MONSTERS

I hear so many different influences on this album. My favourite track is called Fly Boy, a song about someone who thinks he has superhero powers.

Gonk

I'm starting the day with "Flat Baroque and Beserk" by Roy Harper, an album said to contain members of Led Zeppelin on it.

O Lucky Stevie!

Currently on repeat: the brand new single by Saint EtienneTonight
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

O Lucky Stevie!

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

exilewood

Quote from: fonky on 23 February, 2012, 06:26:24 AM
I'm starting the day with "Flat Baroque and Beserk" by Roy Harper, an album said to contain members of Led Zeppelin on it.

Now yer talking! Great way to wake up. I don't run into many Roy fans, always makes me happy to hear someone else is digging the Harper.

CrazyFoxMachine

My work soundtrack is this so far today:

Gonk

Coo. that lot'll keep you ticking over crazyfox.

I like the humour of Harper's music, there's lots of it exilewood. Listen to an album which is of a serious complexion from a man renound for comedy...."Bombers Moon" by Mike Harding.

exilewood

Too true - music without some sense of humour is something I can't stand.

Mike Harding - he came to the first gig I ever performed - at The Octagon theatre in Bolton. Had a talk with him in the bar afterwards, nice fella. That was...God, twenty-four years ago!

Gonk

Great exilwood. Me and Mrs Fonk like to listen to his radio show on a Wednesday night, we both think he's the best thing on the radio now that Wogan has retired.