Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Cosh on 24 April, 2013, 02:52:04 PM
Sugarcubes (Sykurmolarnir) also did Icelandic takes on a lot of their stuff. You can decide for yourself which is the foreign one in these cases but the version of Water from Ilur Arfur is way better than the English release.

The original single for Birthday had the Icelandic version on the B side which was just fantastic. Unfortunately, it belonged to an old flat mate and I've since lost all my taped copies of it. I've been trying to find it ever since, but no luck.

I do have a version of "I think we're alone now" by Lene Lovich in Japanese.

ChickenStu

Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

SuperSurfer

Quote from: ChickenStu on 24 April, 2013, 10:43:48 PM
Beautiful song from the Sound City album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8rbsX5-850
I just heard a couple of tracks from that album. Sounds pretty decent so must investigate further. I recognised the voice of the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club lead singer. Must check out their latest album as well.

judgefloyd

Quote from: sauchie on 23 April, 2013, 10:00:18 PM
it appears there's a wee cottage industry of pop songs na Gael. Cheers for that, floyd.

Yindessagh! (excellent). 
  Puffy (aka PuffyAmiYumi) did a Chinese language version of their Abba-ish hit 'Asia'.  Didn't the Beatles do a German version of 'She loves You'?

This morning, my ipod is serving up old Bond songs, Public Image and Manx lessons

Frank

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 April, 2013, 03:31:42 PM
Quote from: judgefloyd on 25 April, 2013, 01:05:11 AM
Quote from: The Cosh on 24 April, 2013, 02:52:04 PM
Sugarcubes (Sykurmolarnir) also did Icelandic takes on a lot of their stuff. You can decide for yourself which is the foreign one in these cases but the version of Water from Ilur Arfur is way better than the English release.

Puffy (aka PuffyAmiYumi) did a Chinese language version of their Abba-ish hit 'Asia'.  Didn't the Beatles do a German version of 'She loves You'?

The original single for Birthday had the Icelandic version on the B side which was just fantastic. Unfortunately, it belonged to an old flat mate and I've since lost all my taped copies of it. I've been trying to find it ever since, but no luck. I do have a version of "I think we're alone now" by Lene Lovich in Japanese.

... and now I have it too! Cheers for the replies, chaps. I'm going to lower the tone with The Spice Girls and Christina Aguilera making blatant grabs for the Hispanic/Bolivarian peso. Geri's Mum is a Spaniard and Aguilera's Dad is from Ecuador, but both latinate variants still seem dull and cynical in a way the Beatles having a laugh with the shaky grasp of ze Deutsch they picked up playing The Kaiser Kellar just doesn't.

COMMANDO FORCES

I'm listening to songs from the 80's via YouTube and then choosing another from the list on the right. At the moment I am enjoying The Human League and Seconds :D

Frank

Quote from: ChickenStu on 24 April, 2013, 09:25:59 AM
Anyone reckon that new Daft Punk album will be worth a punt? New single really growing on me.

I'll buy the album, but that's not really the way I listen to music anymore. I honestly can't remember the last time a single was released which felt so immediately perfect and immense as Get Lucky, or which was so universally embraced. There are three separate areas at my work, each with their own sound system, and walking between them is like listening to an extended mix of that song, with a weird doppler effect as your transition from hearing the song's chorus in one area and the verse playing in another, all held together by the metronomic perfection of Nile Rogers's guitar line.

Still no more video than the one minute TV promo, but if you're sad enough to stare at the static record cover in this video until 2 min 20 sec they do a wee dance. See the four and a half million plays at the bottom of that page? One hundred of them were from me, before the song was up on Amazon (or itunes, if you enjoy paying ten pence more for no good reason). I fucking LOVE this record.

Sepp Salerno

That new Daft Punk track. It's a real grower

Spikes

...the sound of rain falling.
Which hopefully means that tomorrow, i wont be weed spraying - thus giving the blisters on my feet, after two weeks of constantly walking all day, a chance to settle down.

judgefloyd

well if we're going to be strictly accurate, I'm listening to the sound of a distant plane and some trucks.  The last music I heard was some Sex Pistols - 'New York', while I was cleaning the garage.  I love 'New York', me. 

JOE SOAP

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 April, 2013, 12:10:19 AM
Quote from: sauchie on 25 April, 2013, 07:04:46 PMI fucking LOVE this record.

So does IGOR.

I didn't think he sang!? You know when you hear John Densmore claiming The Doors were a jazz band, you just think he's blethering shite? When you hear that song stripped down to its basics it's easy to hear how much Daft Punk, Chic and anyone who writes tunes that are meant to get your arse moving owe to poor, black junkies from the 1930s. Cheers, Soap.

judda fett

Im listening to and thinking about 'Setanta' by Horslips.

http://youtu.be/nCAQyyvl2OA

zombemybabynow

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere