Main Menu

DUNE

Started by Tiplodocus, 20 November, 2015, 06:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 30 January, 2020, 12:32:31 PM
I wonder if this will suffer from "It's not a remake!" syndrome that DREDD 3D had to deal with.

Probably not. The Lynch version is already just one of a number of adaptations, and it's reputation is somewhat wonky (wrongly so).

Bolt-01

The book of Dune - first volume, is almost at the top of the reading pile. I look forward to actually understanding the next film.

von Boom

Quote from: pauljholden on 30 January, 2020, 10:46:57 AM
Actually now I've had a better look I think it's a planet, rather than a spaceship, which makes more sense.
That may be Habbanya Ridge.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 30 January, 2020, 12:32:31 PM
I wonder if this will suffer from "It's not a remake!" syndrome that DREDD 3D had to deal with.

Nope. Apart from the distance of decades and the differences in cast and vision, no one remembers Dune 84 in the way the Stallone job became a well cycled cable TV re-run and internet meme-fest.

paddykafka

I first read Dune at the age of twelve while on a family holiday in the Isle of Man. I can still recall my mother berating me for being anti-social, just because I was perfectly happy to just stay in the hotel room reading that wonderful, engrossing novel than bother going out and doing-family-on-holiday-stuff. Over forty years later and I still prefer books to people any day.

von Boom

Quote from: paddykafka on 31 January, 2020, 11:40:10 AM
I first read Dune at the age of twelve while on a family holiday in the Isle of Man. I can still recall my mother berating me for being anti-social, just because I was perfectly happy to just stay in the hotel room reading that wonderful, engrossing novel than bother going out and doing-family-on-holiday-stuff. Over forty years later and I still prefer books to people any day.
Not necessarily a bad thing.

Richard

Books are way better than people. But also, books are written by people. I am still confounded by this enigma.

TordelBack

Quote from: Richard on 31 January, 2020, 09:35:49 PM
Books are way better than people.

I thought that was reindeer.

sintec

Quote from: paddykafka on 31 January, 2020, 11:40:10 AM
I first read Dune at the age of twelve while on a family holiday in the Isle of Man. I can still recall my mother berating me for being anti-social, just because I was perfectly happy to just stay in the hotel room

Sounds a look like my holidays around that time. Tbh my idea of the perfect holiday is still a nice quite location with a fridge full of beers and a pile of good reading material.

Gary James

Quote from: Richard on 31 January, 2020, 09:35:49 PM
Books are way better than people.

You haven't discovered Savoy yet, have you?

There's a certain David Britton book that you might be interested in knowing about...  :D And then there's Chuck Palahniuk, whose Guts is an essential read.

"Better" is a very subjective term.

Richard

Gary James

Pimping Savoy everwhere isn't entirely altruistic, as I want people to buy enough of their books that a collected edition of the comics becomes a viable proposition - there's no way I can justify shelling out fifty quid on each floppy, and rumors and speculation in recent years about the state of their business haven't been brilliant.

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

von Boom

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 14 April, 2020, 01:35:54 PM
The first pictures of some of the actors in their suits have gone up. Looks pretty darned good.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/behold-dune-an-exclusive-look-at-timothee-chalamet-zendaya-oscar-isaac?fbclid=IwAR3mwBFfrG5eEBtpcf1O4RN4BZ_-HhklFouFlu_QucfM_7OtADDf8DAyA1I

I came to post the exact same thing. I agree, the stilsuits do look good. Much closer to the image I have in my mind from the book than either the film or miniseries. Good to see the hoods and facemasks.

The big question is, though, will the 'thopters have wings?

sheridan

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 November, 2015, 01:23:55 PM
but Lynch's sprawling, rambling, theatrical mess of a film is borderline hallucinogenic, and probably something you should watch at least once.  Mad to think that it was supposed to be a rival to Star Wars at the time, complete with shiploads of toys and merchandise.

Not to mention sticker books given away with comics ;)