Main Menu

Pat Mills Requiem #4 - The Vampires Dance

Started by Marbles, 15 July, 2006, 11:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrighty47

I have done that very thing with books 1 & 2, but book 3 appears to have been discontinued, so I got the Heavy Metal reprint.

Alan!

wrighty47

"I remember asking Alan Barnes why we weren't getting foriegn lang. reprints. The reason given was that when you add in buying rights, translation costs, etc its actually virtually the same as an original black and white strip. Which kinda defeats the point of doing reprint."

I'd agree with that if you do indeed consider it to be a reprint, but for most here it would be the first time that they'd seen it. The trick is perhaps to put it in the slot given to a new strip rather than the reprint slot. I know I would mind, even tho I already have the first 4 parts! The strip really does scream 2000AD imho!

Emperor

Perhaps Rebellion might be better off looking into picking up the rights to print a UK trade paperback? Or Titan might be interested.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Will I. Cooling

Personally I'd like to see it in the Meg, but I can understand why there was a reluctance to pick it up. Especially when you consider that unlike something like XTINCT (which was excellent btw) there's further revenue streams i.e. reprinting, future series, video games, etc.
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Loc-Nar

Requiem is obviously written for a different market than 2000AD , rich and grotesque its pretty different fare from what youll find in the Meg. Ive been enjoying it Immensely ( Sha was pretty good too )But - Itd be crazy to have it as a reprint -- Its currently in another monthly magazine--even if it only comes out once a year. Is Heavy Metal magazine not sold in the UK ?
Gimme more Xtnct type stuff

paulvonscott

Also there's about 6 or 7 books of the stuff, plus spin off.

I was initially up for reprints in the meg, but I don't begrdge buying an issue of heavy metal a year for the whole thing in one go.  I doubt we'd get them any quicker if printed in the meg.

Plus, as we know, people would moan.

Loc-Nar

How about the meg commission Mills and Ledroit to do some original material ?

Dudley

The reaction to "Mr Amperduke" shows that 2000AD readers aren't averse to something from a completely different comics tradition in one of their slots.  Translating Requiem and running it as a new strip (i.e. not reprint as such) seems like a solid-gold idea to me - less of a risk than creating a brand-new series, though admittedly with less of a return since they'd lose money on GN's, and there's no possibility of merchandising etc.

Loc-Nar

I havent seen Mr Amperduke yet ... But Requiem IS a reprint - Its been featured in Heavy Metal for the last few years..along with books like Gypsy and keepers of the maser, if I could choose a foreign language series to feature it would be Sillage.

ukdane

Heads up, Chapter 6 is in this May's edition of Heavy Metal.
Cheers

-Daney