Main Menu

State of Decay

Started by Beadle68, 27 July, 2013, 11:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beadle68

Anyone on here tried state of decay game off xbox live, can highly recommend it. Its an open world 3d game with the emphasis being on gathering supplies and making safe outpost from which to explore further. The zombies are fast and agile and take some killing. If you think the walking dead then you are not far from the set up . :)

shaolin_monkey

Yeah, I've been dipping in and out if it - have set up a few outposts, done some quests etc. It really has nailed the atmosphere, eh? It took me a while to get used to it, so lost the characters I started with quickly, though they made it to the church.

It's games like these that really set the standard for Xbox Live Arcade.

Beadle68

Lost my main character the other night which pained me as his stats where quite good, cant seem to make outpost yet do everything it tells you to do but it just dont work:(. Still very enjoyable though love the atmosphere of game and the desperation when running out of stamina near a safe place only to be swamped by very fast moving zombies. Think for a live title graphics are very good and it really is a fleshed out ( pardon the pun) 3d environment.

radiator

I was very tempted to buy this but in all honesty I'd never be able to find the time to play it - it looks very involved!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: radiator on 30 July, 2013, 03:38:00 PM
I was very tempted to buy this but in all honesty I'd never be able to find the time to play it - it looks very involved!

You're right, it is, which is why I haven't got that far with it. I need to sit down for a whole evening with it I think.

Ghastly McNasty

I'd never heard of this before but it sounds like just the game I've been waiting for. It sounds perfect.

However, I just checked out a few reviews, one of which states that the game world continues to play out even when you're not online. So, in a game that's all about collecting resources to survive, if you don't play for 5 days, when you log back in, all your food has been eaten and your team members have started committing suicide!

A novel idea but I just don't have the time to commit like that anymore.

TordelBack

Sounds like Urban Dead with graphics. A game that despite the brutal actions-per-real-day restrictions ate my life.

radiator

QuoteHowever, I just checked out a few reviews, one of which states that the game world continues to play out even when you're not online. So, in a game that's all about collecting resources to survive, if you don't play for 5 days, when you log back in, all your food has been eaten and your team members have started committing suicide!

If that's true then it's a definite no sale for me.

Beadle68

If thats true about it playing out in real time when your not playing then all my characters are as good as dead :'(. Im on holiday at mo so cant keep my little polygons alive  :( , god rest there souls.

Theblazeuk

Here's a useful comment from Eurogamer;

QuoteState of Decay is persistent, so that when you return to the game the next day, your survivors have 'been out doing things'. Hopefully that means they found food, ammo, medicine, etc, but sometimes it also means they got themselves in a jam and will need helping out. Other survivors who aren't part of your community also continue to exist (in a manner of speaking - this is not cloud gaming :) ) and maybe move around or actually even die off in your absence. They've been smart to limit the effects of this if you go away from the game for over a week (won't change much after that). There was also a feature where repair of tools and cars was tied into the real world clock, but the game will be patched soon to actually change it to be based on the in-game clock, which is a big change, and might make it a bit too easy (but we'll see).

So your crew may survive your absence.

Really looking forward to this making it to the PC for the moment I am just playing Zafehouse Diaries - a much lower scale affair with a similar bent, though ultimately more of a maths game (and one filled with drokking creeps it seems, best thing that happens to my survivors is the most useless ones die so everyone can get along)

ThryllSeekyr

I friend of mine was interested in this game and posted this video on my Face-Book page here.

State of Decay

He was waiting for the classification board to release it and they have.

Is the game now available and in what platform?

From the video above, it sounds like a cross between.......

Dead Island, Because it's another free roaming, mission based, Zombie romp where you can find things use and make into better weapons. You can also find money, booze, soda, other survivors and there's plenty of Zombie's. There's also bases that you have help clear out, find supplies for and I'm was almost half way through game myself when I stopped playing.

The Sims Two Because, there's the factor of building up characters relationships with each other until the newcomer becomes a playable character.

Bard's Tale : One-Three Not the latest Bard's Tale game, but the originals including Thief of Fate because your controlling a party of characters. That's where the similarity ends though.

I don't know If I'll get this. Can you get it for X-Box - 360?

Beadle68

Back from holiday found my characters had survived  :) thanks for above info, although 3 had gone missing . Been playing for another week totally addicted although down to 3 survivor's others go missing when not playing which is a pain as want to relocate base but need 8 characters to do so. The more you play the better it gets so would still recommend this to anyone thinking of entering the world of state of decay.

Rog69

Has anyone played DayZ? its kind of the grandaddy of these zombie survival games.

You start on an island with a couple of basic items and you have to scavenge for supplies, weapons and equipment. It has no objectives as such, just survive as long as you can against the zombies, game bugs and other players.

Theblazeuk

The ARMA interface scares me.

Rog69

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 19 August, 2013, 10:14:49 AM
The ARMA interface scares me.

And so it should ;)

There are a couple of launcher type apps (DayZ Commander being the best) that help you bypass the Arma server browser etc to help you find servers and get you into the game painlessly, it it wasn't for that I would have given up long ago.

The in-game interface is a bit clunky, the inventory system is unintuitive and buggy but once you get your head around its quirks, there is a lot of fun to be had with DayZ.