Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Professor Bear

The Jurassic Games - look at that title and ruminate upon it for a moment and I'm sure you'll guess what two properties are being banged together for a quick cash-in.  I often wish that the people involved in these things had some kind of talent or enthusiasm for making films, or at least wanted to be entertaining, but The Asylum has established the financial model for these things - "quality is irrelevant, there just has to be content to sell" - and the movies now turn out exactly as you would expect based on that philosophy.  So is squandered yet another potentially great movie premise wherein death row convicts are given the chance to escape their convictions if they survive a gauntlet of traps and flesh-eating dinosaurs, their suffering broadcast to the world - on paper this sounds entertaining, but on film not so much.
Maybe I expected too much from a recent rewatch of all the Death Race movies, but this is not even entertainingly bad, it just... exists.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Professor Bear on 20 June, 2018, 12:29:11 PM
The Jurassic Games

Looking forward to The Hunger Park where a bunch of teenagers slowly starve to death on a deserted island.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 June, 2018, 06:11:53 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 20 June, 2018, 12:29:11 PM
The Jurassic Games

Looking forward to The Hunger Park where a bunch of teenagers slowly starve to death on a deserted island.
It exists. Punishment Park. It's legitimately great.

Eamonn Clarke

Actually thought Corden was quite restrained playing the insurance investigator.
HBC's wobbly Irish accent was terrible and pointless, why not just make her a British?

Not a great film though, lacked some zing and the script could have done with some comedic punch-up.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: wedgeski on 18 June, 2018, 03:17:47 PM
Jurassic World
... this film certainly had a low opinion of its audience....

Took the boy to see this and have to say I'm in complete agreement with Wedgeski. The plot is really weak and has so many plot holes that I couldn't ignore them... I tried as you know COOL DINO ACTION... but Jez they made it impossible with some pretty low witted and glaring story points. Made all the more obvious with some absolutely paper thin cliche characters... but COOL DINO ACTION... even if the use of pachycephalosaurus we now know is poppycock and adds to Jurassic various' misuse of our extinct friends... once again though a story that can't think of ways to make dinosaurs exciting so makes MORE use of nonsense super-genetic-dino-farces... drives me nuts that. If a writer doesn't think regular dinos are an interesting enough threat - get a new writer with an imagination and some creativity BUT I knew that going in and the ending did at least seem to stress the point.

Oh and another great thing is the ending and the potential that sets up... if done well... which would require a different time than made this!

Bloody rubbish even if it does have COOL DINO ACTION... sigh...

Oh but more importantly the boy loved it, absolutely loved it, so it might have done the most important thing it could have a rekindled his love of the majestic beasties.

abelardsnazz

The Happy Prince. Rupert Everett writes, directs and acts the last days of Oscar Wilde with the right balance of decadence, wit, tragedy and damaged dignity. The cast are brilliant and Everett delivers with some often beautiful cinematography on what is clearly a labour of love for him. Liked it a lot.

Apestrife

Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado
Saw this one yesterday. I think it was quite alright. Not as brilliant or haunting as the first one, but it did it's thing. The story is basically Brollin and Del Toro's characters igniting a civil war among the cartels in the light of the US president labeling the cartels the T word.

I think it's a really cool idea, but I wish the implementation was a bit better. With less cliché. There are no big distractors of such but enough to itch. Especially towards the end.

On the plus side of things, Del Toro and Brollin are really good. I especially like Del Toro's Alejandro. There's a scene in the film tying into his back story which really shines.

By large. Feels like a tie in movie novel or comic, which happens to set up a third movie. One I'm sure will create a divide among people wether it was great or not (not great = not as great as the first one).

Hawkmumbler

Wolfen

Saw this, one of three excellent Werewolf movies from 1981, on the big screen last week. Cracking suburban horror retelling on the classic formula, with a native twist that really works. Thoroughly deserving of a proper home video release. My screening used what must have been a poorly stored original 35mm print. On the one hand, quiet the privilege, on the other was dirt and scratches and no less than 3 instances where the film reel snapped. A pity.

The Guyver

Brian Yuznas PG-13 live action take on the gritty hyper violent manga. It's OK, but somewhat ruined by Jimmie Walker in zoenoid make up that makes him look like a Ninja Turtle fucked a Gremlin, rapping through a toilet seat. Has plenty of horror staples like Michael Berryman and Jeffrey Combs to keep us entertained, and the effects on the budget ain't bad. Mark Hamill even gets turned into a giant slug!

Big Trouble in Little China

Verdict:

Mattofthespurs

I have the Wolfen on Blu ray.
This Blu ray is region free and pretty cheap.
Excellent film.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_67/wolfen_blu-ray.htm

Magnetica

Hacksaw Ridge. If there is a film that more graphically shows the horror and senseless waste of human life in war than this, I have yet to see it.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Magnetica on 01 July, 2018, 04:28:23 PM
Hacksaw Ridge. If there is a film that more graphically shows the horror and senseless waste of human life in war than this, I have yet to see it.

Come and See (1985)

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Apestrife on 01 July, 2018, 07:10:35 AM
Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado
Saw this one yesterday. I think it was quite alright. Not as brilliant or haunting as the first one, but it did it's thing. The story is basically Brollin and Del Toro's characters igniting a civil war among the cartels in the light of the US president labeling the cartels the T word.

I think it's a really cool idea, but I wish the implementation was a bit better. With less cliché. There are no big distractors of such but enough to itch. Especially towards the end.

On the plus side of things, Del Toro and Brollin are really good. I especially like Del Toro's Alejandro. There's a scene in the film tying into his back story which really shines.

By large. Feels like a tie in movie novel or comic, which happens to set up a third movie. One I'm sure will create a divide among people wether it was great or not (not great = not as great as the first one).

Ditto this. I for one hope they don't do a third one, as the situations and characters seem to be played out now. Thought it was OK.

JamesC

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

This was my second viewing and I was so over the death of Luke, the Canto Bright stuff and a few other bits I wasn't sure about first time around. This time I just sat back and enjoyed it for what it was. I loved it and I've totally come around to Luke's rejection of the Jedi and his sacrifice. I like this new trilogy, I'm invested in the characters and I can't wait to see what happens next - I hope it's something that surprises and shocks me the way this one did.

Steve Green

MCU Binge

Thor: Ragnarok
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Spider-man: Homecoming
Black Panther.

Probably enjoyed Spider-man the most, due to it being relatively small-scale, had to listen hard on some of the snappy dialogue and the editing at the end with the stealth transport plane seemed pretty choppy, but I'm getting old.

Thor and GOTG looked pretty, just find it kind of hard to feel much jeopardy for characters when they're ragdoll cgi characters flinging around. Agree with some of the sentiment that Thor tended to undermine itself at moments which should have had more impact.

Black Panther was interesting visually and decent characters - the stored energy on the suits was a nice touch - but Phantom Menace flashbacks and OTT camera moves in the final battle didn't do much for me.

Think that's me more or less caught up - bar infinity war, oh and the TV series, and the netflix... oh god... it never ends.

The 3 other Sony Spider-mans I've never bothered with.