Main Menu

Emperors New Clothes

Started by JimBob, 03 January, 2003, 07:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBob

What in science fiction/comics has always seemed terminally overated to you? My list would have to include:
1.Return of the Jedi (Awful)
2.The Cursed Earth (Did nothing for me, sorry)
3. Any pre-Morrison X-men comics (except Excaliber)
4. All non-Cinnabar Rogue Trooper
5. The "light hearted" Strontium Dog stories.

and to show I'm not in whinge mode five things which are underated:

1. The old Black amd White Buck Rodgers/Flash Gordon serials they used to repeat every summer holiday on BBC2 plus the 80s Flash Gordon Movie.
2. The 6th Doctor
3. Black Light
4. The 80s Eagle
5. Blakes 7

Art

The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers

Its not bad, and bits of it are great, but no way in hell does it deserve the rapturous reception that its got. Especially when more than half of it is taken up by near identical people with long hair and beards droning on and on with their sub-babylon 5 dialogue.

The Monarch

god i'm gonna get my arse kicked by half of the board for this

the ballard of halo jones: not to say it was crap i just didn't like it with the exception of book three which was brilliant.

watchmen: it was just a superheroe comic with the exception of that final twist which was fantastic

okay you may give me a good kicking now

Slippery PD

Overated, Oooo here we go as I put the boot into mainstream Sci Fi

1.  Dr Who, since I turned into a teenager Ive hated it.  It just seems to me old and poor.  Sorry all you Who fans...  I just dont get it!
2.  Star Trek, basically anything after Kirk.  Total bollox, lacking in imagination and any originality
3.  All Star Wars after Empire Strikes Back.  Particualrly the regurgitation of the same ideas and poor dialogue.
4.  Farscape, it escapes me.  Why?!?!?
5.  Mark Millar, I cant think of anything Ive read Ive actually enjoyed.  

not sure about Underated.  Ill et back to you on that.

Yer Slippo

JimBob

"sub-babylon 5 dialogue." Ah Babylon 5 a program so tedious and up its own arse that it made Deep Space 9 seem like a good show in comparison. All together now "Get the hell out of my galaxy."

Slippery PD

Nothin could make DS9 appear as a good program..........

Isnt the writer of B5 now writing Spiderman?!?!?!

Yer Slippo

The Monarch

ah blakes 7 definatly underrated i mean a show so brave it goes on without the blake of the title for about two years and also kills all the main characters in the final episode i still get goosebumps with that final shot of avon.

petemaskreplica

Dune. The first couple of books are OK, though long-winded, and it gets rapidly more tedious from there.

Star Wars. Don't get me wrong, I love them, even the Phantom Menace, but there's no way it's the greatest film of all time.

Under-rated: Phantom Menace. Watched it again the other day, and it's really not as bad as everyone says.
DS9, which did try and do something different with the Star trek formula, even if it din't quite pull it off.
Brazil, which IS the greatest film of all time.

judge dreddd

children of castor .... PURITY

JimBob

Last episode of Blakes 7 was fantastic if only all series managed to pull off a final episode which is as "final" as that one. I watched B7 on UK gold at about the same tiem I was getting into the Next Gen and the contrast between the crews was brilliant. Annoying android twat Data and wouldn't have klasted 10 minutes on the liberator.  

The Monarch

too true now that was a FINAL episode

Matt

Gotta admit to hating just about all British TV Sci-Fi. Doctor Who, shite after Peter Davidson, and even before that it was only good for the Cybermen. Blakes 7 looked like it was designed by a bunch of special effects guys that grew up watching Blue Peter for stickyback plastic tips. But the one I hate the most by far and away is Red Dwarf. Thanks Grant & Naylor for creating a whole new geek subculture, whose sole purpose seems to be just to bug the hell out of every other fucker! I hate them and their "Lets Go Out There and Twat It" slogan t-shirts, saying Smeg instead of Fuck, and always competing to see who can do the best Dwane Dibbly impersonation. Die you bastards, DIE!!!!!!

Oh, and most overrated comic has to be DK2 or the later half of Preacher.

The Monarch

dk2 how could i forgot that what a pile of shite that was

Marbles

hehe.

even dwayne dibleys name makes me chuckle.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Art

DK2 and post Peter Davidson british SF are both disqualified from being overrated as no one liked them them that much in the first place.