Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Anyone who reads this and still comes away thinking we need to ease lockdown is off their rocker. Or a Tory.

It estimates 61,000 new COVID-19 infections per week in England, and an average of 137,000 infected people between 4-17 May.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/england21may2020/pdf

Tjm86

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 21 May, 2020, 02:10:09 PM
We can't even afford one of those alarms because the monthly fee is £18 plus the telephone landline charges. I know it's probably too late for us to get assistance...

I know that it is not often that we are able to provide more practical assistance than an ear but I would say that this is one of those occasions when an opportunity presents itself.  I would like to offer to pay towards this.  let's face it, if we add in landline charges of around £20pcm then the total monthly cost is going to be £38.  If 19 of us were to offer to support you then that would work out at about £2 each pcm. 

I would rather pay that for 12 months than towards Tom's Knighthood Fund.  I know that that money is going towards NHS charities and GoFundMe's profits but there is still a need for support for families.

Let us know how you feel about this.  If anyone else feels they could support a fellow Squaxx then maybe we can do something practical for a change.

TordelBack

Yeah, count me in.  Great idea Tjm. It's a crap situation for any of us to be in, and the denizens of this board - former and current - have helped me out so much in the past that I'd be delighted to be able to throw a tiny drop of that back into the collective pot.

shaolin_monkey

Definitely Not Mister Pops

There are houses on my street completely decked out in blue bunting, windows with so many rainbows and posters of the government's advice to Stay Home, Save Lives, Protect the NHS, that no sunlight can get through. I understand why. I mean if I was spending as much time outside my house as these people I'd want it to look pretty. I think they have it in their heads that if they pay enough lip service to the guidelines and bang their pots loud enough on Thursday, that's enough and the virus will leave them alone. 

But it won't. I've just seen the fourth hearse of the month pull up on my street.
You may quote me on that.

Hawkmumbler

....Is Shark alright*, does anyone know? He appears to have been uncharacteristically quiet of late, and the debaty threads have been all the emptier for it...

*Loaded question, I know.

shaolin_monkey

I was only thinking that the other day. He's disappeared from FB too.

TordelBack

Sharky says he's doing fine, but has had enough of the online life for the time being. We've all been there.

Leigh S

This is excruciating - the only question needs asking here is "you are really telling us theat you have no support systems through your job that would have been able to get you any support you needed or transport you back and forth if required?"

Leigh S

How can he have been sure of being able to complete a 5 hour trip without stopping with a 4 year old Autistic child?  Such Bull shit!

As my grandda used to say "Don't pish in me face and tell me it's raining"

Leigh S

Why did he take his 4 year old out for his eye sight test drive?  Such nonsense!!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Leigh S on 25 May, 2020, 05:44:33 PM
Why did he take his 4 year old out for his eye sight test drive?  Such nonsense!!

I've kept out of this thread but this exactly this. We had supposedly some of the top political commentators and only one person even discussed the 'road test' to Barnard Castle with your wife and child in a journey one would assume (I don't know the trip so need to be careful) that had little baring on the actual jounrey he would be taking. No one raised much about that and its that, which more than anything else, suggests his statement is nothing more than another fabrication by this Government that has regularly run on lies and half truths.

They also didn't press him on the fact that he says there have been many mistruths reported about him. From what I can tell he confirmed many of those stories today. Made no reference to what is true and what is a lie - in the main part. He's just repeating the tactic of Trump and trying to make the press  and media the villian. They are guilty - in certain parts - of much but in this instance got a lot right it would seem?

Leigh S

I suppose this should be on the political thread, but if his story is true, why did the police visit on the 1st April, shortly after he got there and was then immediately ill for 10 days - how was he seen to be reported to teh Police if he was indeed self isolating?

Columbo always gets his man because they always give way too detailed alibis for him to pick apart.