Main Menu

Al Ewing back at Rebellion ... kinda ...only a bit alas

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 October, 2020, 02:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

The single most disappointing thing about the latest Meg (425) was the Al Ewing interview - not that it was back, just that there was no hint of him coming back to do more Zombo, or Dredd, or heck Dredd vs Zombo (that was a genius strip) or anything else for Tharg.

Well they did omit something and that the fact that Rebellion is reprinting this rather excellent prose novel 'The Fictional Man' in 2021. If you've not read it I'd defo recommend it and hey maybe if we ALLLLL buy it we can convince Al that there's more to be gained from nestling back into Tharg's bosum that having smash hit with the US's biggest publisher and then a massive hit with a creator owned title... oh go on we can convince him... can't we...

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/rebellion-publish-al-ewing-the-fictional-man-january-url/

JayzusB.Christ

Ah, my hopes were up there.  I believe that if you put Wagner's name on his Dredd stories, nobody would know the difference.  I also think he's written some of the best Dredd stories ever, including Wagner ones.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

The US market can offer Al money, respect, the rights to his work, fame and a successful career, but nobody who cares about any of those goes into comics, so who knows?

broodblik

For all these guys leaving they have too fully understand as well that they are doomed to write only other peoples creations.  Yes they might write Dredd but each and everyone of these creators that left had at least had  one or two of their own creations published.

For me Ewing is an odd one hlaf of his stuff I did like but the other half is great. I felt he could have been a great Dredd writer. The first Zaucer was awesome. Never liked Zombo or Damnation Station.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Greg M.

Quote from: broodblik on 26 October, 2020, 03:03:23 AM
For all these guys leaving they have too fully understand as well that they are doomed to write only other peoples creations.
Though interestingly, only one person in current issues of 2000AD is writing something that's wholly their own co-creation.

JOE SOAP

For all these guys leaving they have too fully understand as well that they are doomed to write only other peoples creations. 

Al Ewing's got a creator owned comic at BOOM!.

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2020/9/2/21418621/best-new-comic-we-only-find-them-when-theyre-dead

broodblik

Quote from: Greg M. on 26 October, 2020, 06:41:47 AM
Though interestingly, only one person in current issues of 2000AD is writing something that's wholly their own co-creation.

That is true that writers do work on other writers creations but in most cases the writers stick with their own creations.  Edigiinton is working on Stickleback his own and Fiends created by Finley-Day. Do not forget about Peaty writing Skip Tracer.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 October, 2020, 06:47:10 AM

Al Ewing's got a creator owned comic at BOOM!.

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2020/9/2/21418621/best-new-comic-we-only-find-them-when-theyre-dead

I saw that Ewing is working with Boom but all his State-side work has been almost exclusively for Marvel. At least he gave Hulk a proper series which I tough it is not possible.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 26 October, 2020, 07:54:40 AM

That is true that writers do work on other writers creations but in most cases the writers stick with their own creations.  Edginton is working on Stickleback his own and Fiends created by Finley-Day. Do not forget about Peaty writing Skip Tracer.

Is this going to be the point of discussion though as we now know Stickleback is Holmes and was always intended to be Holmes and as such is he entirely a character of his own creation... I don't know the answer as he is clearly transformed so much BUT essentially based on the foundations of another work.

broodblik

Stickleback is for me very unique although certain aspects are based upon a known character.  Even Scarlet Traces is for me unique and different although this is the continuation of War of the Worlds.

Greg M.

Rately

Love Al, and love his Dredd, so hopefully at some stage he can produce a few more tales, maybe a Mega-epic.

Mind you, I love his Immortal Hulk, which went through a blip for a few issues, but looks to be returning to form. Al and Joe Bennett on a one-off Dredd?

shaolin_monkey

JayzusB.Christ

Mega City 1 comedy doesn't get much better than that, does it?  I miss Al.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Bolt-01

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 25 October, 2020, 02:09:43 PM
Well they did omit something and that the fact that Rebellion is reprinting this rather excellent prose novel 'The Fictional Man' in 2021. If you've not read it I'd defo recommend it
Getting back to the topic, the series Al wrote for one of Rebellion's shared universe things about the Mexican superhero lad was pretty entertaining but The Fictional Man was genuinely good sci-fi that I should dig out again.
We never really die.