Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

NorthVox

I think vertical farming is a great idea, something I hope not only sees the light of day, but becomes widespread.

http://www.verticalfarm.com/

O Lucky Stevie!

That's just Gerard O'Neill's High Frontier shorn of all the sexy space bits.

We are truly living in a JG Ballard story.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

TordelBack

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 16 March, 2012, 06:38:57 AM
We are truly living in a JG Ballard story.

We're still talking about the wanking gauntlet, right?

Spaceghost

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 March, 2012, 08:55:01 PM
Because the STEAM POWERED WANKING GAUNTLET really does exist!

WHAAAA??? Someone stole my idea?! It's like Count Duckula all over again!

Can anyone advise me on claiming intellectual property theft? I want my dues goddamit.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

SpetsnaZ99

isn't 'forearm valve bank' cockney rhyming slang for something, cant think what though
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

locustsofdeath!

Gonk

It's a moral for the times we live in, people have become so lazily dependent on hi tech they can't even be bothered to exert themselves physically for a five knuckle shuffle. No wonder people are becoming fatter and less fit.
coming at a cinema near you soon

Emperor

Science, theories are only as good as the next piece of evidence:

QuoteThe fossilised remains of stone age people recovered from two caves in south west China may belong to a new species of human that survived until around the dawn of agriculture.

www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/mar/14/red-deer-cave-people-species-human
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

TordelBack

Isn't it great?  I'd just about adjusted to the Denisovans and now this!

The Legendary Shark

SpaceX's Dragon, Now With Seating for Seven (Universe Today).

Inside the SpaceX Dragon capsule testing out the seating arrangement for a crew of seven, the same number the space shuttle could carry. Photo: Roger Gilbertson / SpaceX

It all looks very Star Trek: Enterprise.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Zarjazzer

http://htwins.net/scale2/

Life may be shite sometimes but the space we live in is astounding.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Mikey

Thought I'd reply on what seems to be the most appropriate thread...

Quote from: Emperor on 24 March, 2012, 08:19:33 PM
I also didn't recognise it as a drumlin, a waste of all that training in Quaternary geology :( Weather looked nice though.

Precisely why we were looking at it. The section shows layers of sand and gravel (s&g) interspersed with till bands - not what you would usually find in drumlins. Well, not so neatly in any case, so the section was interesting because it might be showing evidence that the drumlin was erosional i.e. that the s&g is outwash so the deposits were there before drumlinisation. That was the first thought, then we went back mob handed!

The s&g beds are very, very clean, show fluvial deposition structures and are lensate. They also show erosional contacts with the till beds. All fine so far, but the s&g is actually unconsolidated unlike the till beds. After much robust discussion, the likely scenario agreed upon is that the s&g have been emplaced post till depostion either by decoupling of the ice from the bed creating voids, or have been 'injected' by high subglacial hydrostatic pressure. So as it happens, it's no good to me!

Photo! S&G in the middle, till below and above.

This might not be the most exciting thing on the thread (duh!) - how to compare with wanking gauntlets and jaw dropping star fields? - but it's one of those things that keeps me interested in Stuff, and beats working. Plus, we got good weather.

M.

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Dandontdare

judging by the level it is at, that biro must be thousands of years old - that's got to be a significant archeological discovery!

Spikes

James Cameron's personal torpedo - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17503395

My first thought as someone who's claustrophopic is fook that - still be very interesting to see the footage he brings back.