Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Interesting and very relevant blog about a 3D pizza surely meat is not far away - !

I'll agree about store-brand fake meats they're making a gallant effort to match Linda McC, Quorn etc but they're hugely inferior. Asda's quicken pieces are distractingly cock. And in cubes. Chicken doesn't come in cubes.

YET.

Tiplodocus

I can't do Quorn (why do they use egg? Surely a really easy way to add 10% to their sales would be to get rid of the egg!) but Linda mcC sausages are great. (They got a lot out of her for a skinny bird).

Fake meats were often just a convenience for me and the family - means I can occassionally make a spag bol that eveybody can eat. (Some nights, in an attempt to keep everyone happy I'd be cooking 4 variations on a meal for 5 people in our house)

But since going vegan, we use less and less fake meat and just cook properly using the veg and nuts and pulses and fruits that are abundant. I've learnt to cook Tempeh, Tofu and Soy mince properly as well so have little need for fake stuff.

I thought this test tube burger started as stem cells so, in theory, vegetarians can't eat it either.  But I am looking forward to it relieving some of the cruelty and torment we inflict on animals via the meat industry.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

One of the best things (of many) about becoming Izzy Skint's poor relation has been a virtual end to buying processed meats for the family.  As every cent has to stretched to novelty-train-track-flattened extent for nutritional potential, it became impossible to look at a box of chicken dippers or a ready-meal Masala and go 'yeah, that'll do'.  So everything is now cooked from actual ingredients, which as long as you have the acres of time required to put into thinking about shopping in terms of a whole week's menu, multiple trips to multiple shops and making sure nothing you buy ends up rotting at the back of the fridge works out far cheaper than eating fuck knows what lurks in those cardboard boxes. 

What remains however is the awful temptation of the Tesco's mince section or worse yet their 3-euro whole chickens.  It's scarcely imaginable what conditions must be like to house and raise a bird to slaughter age, process it, ship it miles, shelve it, refrigerate it, flog it, chuck out every second one at the end of the week, and still make a profit on selling it for a couple of quid.  While I spent a decade as a veggie, I've nothing against killing and eating animals per se, but the reality of the industry that excretes this stuff, even in unprocessed form, is nightmarish.

So roll on munce.

PS:  Love that Facon blog, cheers for that CFM!

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

von Boom

Trout

JayzusB.Christ

Ha!  What a rubbish moon!  Looks like a big potato.  Earth 1, Mars 0
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Another of those city of the future series of predictions that never really get it right. Careful - it's clickable:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23524249

Steve Green

Quote from: sauchie on 21 August, 2013, 11:23:40 AM

Another of those city of the future series of predictions that never really get it right. Careful - it's clickable:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23524249

Do we really want to arm Amazon with drones?

TordelBack

Had the terrific experience of seeing an actual nova over the weekend, even if I didn't know it at the time.

I was sitting outside my tent on a fantastically clear night boring my companions rigid using my hard-earned knowledge to drone endlessly on point out constellations and major stars along the line of Milky Way when I realised I was lost.  There was bright Altair in Aquila, there was the diamond of the Dolphin and the arrow of Sagitta, but what the hell was the bright star between them?  Feeling like a right charlie, I put it down to the memory-fogging effects of homebrew - until just now when I discovered I had been looking at a brand new nova!   Buzzing now, and hoping for another clear night before it fades.   Highlight of my year!

shaolin_monkey

Wow, that is really cool!  I wonder how many gazillion years ago it blew up?