Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amines2058

I've seen Deep Impact and Armageddon, this will all end in tears!  :D

Mardroid

Hawkmumbler

Couldn't shoot the silver arrows? Don't worry lad, we all have performance issues.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 11 December, 2014, 12:02:57 PM
http://youtu.be/gJOKCtVwI1E

seems a lot of hard work - and since you need illegal ammunition to start with, I think I'll just continue to buy earphones!

TordelBack

Hawkmumbler

ZenArcade

Methane spikes on Mars.....life or just geothermal processes? interesting Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

My guess is life. Tons of it. All over Mars.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

:| Only tons Shark, well we needn't worry about an invasion then. Z

TordelBack

Quote from: ZenArcade on 17 December, 2014, 07:22:44 AM
:| Only tons Shark, well we needn't worry about an invasion then. Z

That's what he wants you to think.  Clearly a point-man, sent to destabilise our political and economic systems and lull us into a false sense of security.  That's not a tinfoil hat, it's damage to the spacelatex mask exposing his real head.

ZenArcade

The sneaky, underhand Martian scum seeking to undermine our Terran democratic way of life. They make up a triumvirate of evil with Venus and Mercury . We must strike first with the help of our Lunar allies and the down trodden masses on Phobos and Demos to secure freedom throughout the inner solar system. Z

The Legendary Shark

Curses! Foiled again!
Seriously, though, I do think that there is life on Mars. If Mars did once have a surface environment similar to the Earth and life existed there then I think it's highly probable that it still exists today.
Somewhere along the line, Mars got colder and drier. If that happened suddenly (for example in the hypothesis that Mars was once the moon of a now destroyed planet, the remains of which comprise the Asteroid Belt) then there would have been a mass extinction comparable to the ones which happened in Earth's own deep history. Life on Earth eventually returned in forms adapted to the new environment, so why not on Mars too? I think that many of the rocks seen on Mars are actually the hard outer shells of slow moving, mollusc or crustacean type creatures - not a lot of water or atmosphere on Mars today, so any creature would need a way to stay hydrated, oxygenated and warm (assuming a similar biochemistry to terrestrial animals) and a hard shell would help accomplish this. On Earth, after a mass extinction the atmosphere remained thick enough and geological processes and seasonal fluctuations remained stable enough for life to eventually explode again. If Mars lost most of its atmosphere and water, and its seasonal stability, then Nature would have less to work with so life probably trickled back rather than exploding back.
If Mars lost its favourable conditions slowly then evolution, or constant biological change, would gradually keep pace with that process, producing the same kind of animals via a much slower process.
I'd be astounded to discover any Martian life comparable in size and intelligence to an ape or even a dog or cat and so I don't think there's any of that about. Mars, to my mind, is a desert world infested with "snails and crabs" and an ecosystem based on subterranean (submartian?) bacteria and suchlike. (Similar to the "rock creatures" from the movie "Apollo 18" but, due to the low energy present on Mars, much slower moving.)
If I'm honest, I think that life is virtually everywhere, even on the Moon, where I can easily imagine rock-eating bacteria and tardigrades and similar beasties happily living beneath the harsh surface both there and throughout the Solar System. I even read a theory that certain layers of radioactive salts on frigid Pluto could give out enough heat for subterranean (subplutonian?) Iiquid water to exist even that far away from the sun.
I think that simple life is ubiquitous, complex life fairly common and intelligent complex life quite rare throughout the entire universe.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 December, 2014, 08:19:12 AM
If I'm honest, I think that life is virtually everywhere, even on the Moon, where I can easily imagine rock-eating bacteria and tardigrades and similar beasties happily living beneath the harsh surface both there and throughout the Solar System.
I always like to learn a new word - Thanks to Wiki, I now know what a TARDIGRADE is!