Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Having jetpacks sounded great, but unfortunately we got jetskis first, so have a very clear idea of what kind of jackasses will be spoiling our peace and quiet now.

So very, very old.

Proudhuff

I fecking hate, hate microlights, constantly buzzing my home town, you hear them a mile off, and they drone on and on and on til the are over head, then its the same as they depart, its the usual single male 'enjoying' himself, not unlike the clowns on Harleys...

We could use Drones to bring em down :think:
DDT did a job on me

Link Prime

Quote from: Proudhuff on 13 September, 2019, 11:50:29 AM
I fecking hate, hate microlights, constantly buzzing my home town, you hear them a mile off, and they drone on and on and on til the are over head, then its the same as they depart, its the usual single male 'enjoying' himself, not unlike the clowns on Harleys...

Literally: Old man shakes fist at clouds.

von Boom

Quote from: Proudhuff on 13 September, 2019, 11:50:29 AM

Laser-guided potatoes would be more fun.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

I've spoken before about my love of exoplanets, where the stuff of science fiction has become real in my lifetime, mand you people have kindly explained to me how they are detected.

I have a particular fascination with that one that has a constant whirling rain of molten glass.  Now, apologies if you've explained this one to me before - my memory isn't what it was - but how on earth can scientists work those kind of details out?  It boggles my tiny mind.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

They're kind of guessing, I guess, based on the numbers and known processes.

For example, it fascinates me that it probably rains diamonds on Saturn because lightning burns methane to soot, the soot falls to more extreme temparatures and pressures where it's compressed to diamonds - which eventually melt and evaporate. It's all pure speculation based on known physical laws and I think they do the same thing with exoplanets, but with much more limited data.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 November, 2019, 12:16:41 PM
I've spoken before about my love of exoplanets, where the stuff of science fiction has become real in my lifetime, mand you people have kindly explained to me how they are detected.

I have a particular fascination with that one that has a constant whirling rain of molten glass.  Now, apologies if you've explained this one to me before - my memory isn't what it was - but how on earth can scientists work those kind of details out?  It boggles my tiny mind.

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/earth_like_exoplanet.png

Proudhuff

They read science fiction, then announce it as fact, who's going to disprove any off it in their lifetime?
DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

If I had a teleporter,  Huff, you'd be sent straight to the Planet of Glass Rain to check your theory out.  ;)

Sharky, you're right, I know, but I just can't understand how they can work out the physics from that far away. Distance from the central star, perhaps? Apparently it's a gas giant, but I have no idea how that's worked out either.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Modern Panther

Spectogaphy.  The exoplanet passes in front of its star, and they measure the wobble in light.  The light frequency tells you what the planet's atmosphere is made of, whilst the wobble size and period gives how big the planet is and how fast it's moving.

JayzusB.Christ

Couldn't really ask for a more concise or clearer explanation than that. Thanks, MP