Main Menu

It's a bit warm/ wet/ cold outside

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 24 July, 2019, 09:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Le Fink

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 February, 2024, 03:12:57 PM
Quote from: Le Fink on 10 February, 2024, 08:36:22 AMI've had to stop eating some fruit and nuts raw due to late onset allergy symptoms, but fruit, nuts, veg and grains as well, man that is unfortunate. Doesn't leave you with much.
It's such an odd thing. I had no idea about OAS and other late onset stuff. We became aware of it VERY quickly when my wife had a massive allergic reaction to an apple. It was really scary. (Also shit for her, because she was trying to do the right thing and be healthy for lunch.) I've not had anything like that. My symptoms have just been a slow worsening of symptoms when eating, and gradually removing things from my diet. I'm just hoping potatoes and white rice can stick around, or things are going to get very tricky regarding bulk.
Damn. That would be frightening, how awful. I'm relatively lucky in that my symptoms haven't changed over time, so far. My initial reaction wasn't too adverse, thank Christ, but it is strange and worrying when it just happens out of the blue, in my 40s. Fingers crossed for the potatoes and rice.

IndigoPrime

My wife had always had a bit of a response to apples, but the kind of thing that can be dismissed. It's almost certain that her responses accelerated when we moved from Iceland to the UK, because there are so many more allergens here. Although it might have happened anyway. She's gutted that she can no longer eat strawberries and the like, but for now her list of things to avoid appears to have plateaued. So that at least is good, even if she has to be very careful. (The NHS can also be bonkers, sometimes arguing that if you haven't needed an epi pen in several years, you shouldn't have one at all. Which seems... really not a great idea.)

With me, I'm not sure what happened. I always had issues with seafood, but that was all. I then got very sick for a couple of weeks and perhaps that eradicated gut fauna or something. Certainly, since then it was all downhill, although that might just be coincidence. Gluten was first. Then lactose. Onions and garlic had to be minimised. Now there's a really long list. Quite depressing. The bigger problem is because this isn't going to kill me, no-one takes it seriously in our local medical services. So I've been fighting for years to have any assistance. (The last dietician I saw said there was nothing wrong with me and wouldn't engage at all. I'm back on the list something like eight years later and can only hope there's a different person there now!)

Le Fink

Gawd. Bloody hell that's rough. I think you're on to something with the symptoms following severe sickness (I'm not a doc, just sounds sensible). There was a channel 4 prog with a woman who had something similar happen to her - "Know your s**t (sic)" episode 6 we think. Bit hazy, but they may have identified some ways to improve things. Might be worth a look. There's been a lot more interest in and research on the gut and its importance to general health, even mental health, of late it seems.

JohnW

I'm at 52° north in the middle of February and there's a cloud of little flies hovering lazily outside my window.
This does not fill me with the joys of spring.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

IndigoPrime

I'm about the same distance north. We've had butterflies flitting around. In February. Leaves are appearing on some of our garden sticks. The other day, I was ambling about without a coat and the child was in a T-shirt. In February.

I know the south of England isn't usually as cold as the north, but, well, everything is odd. And we still appear to be getting no rain no rain no rain TORRENTIAL RAIN no rain no rain as a pattern.

Funt Solo

Chem's thicker than normal. Eyes itchy.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JohnW on 19 February, 2024, 10:23:26 AMI'm at 52° north in the middle of February and there's a cloud of little flies hovering lazily outside my window.
This does not fill me with the joys of spring.

Nice to have you back, John. Yep, just noticed the cherry blossoms, much as I love them, appearing about a month and a half earlier than they used to.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Apparently I'm about 51° north and saw a butterfly at the weekend.  This morning on the way to work I noticed a lot of blossom out, though somebody mentioned we were due to get snow next week.  That seems to be the wrong way around to me (though the blossom was white so might be some snowdrop-style thing*).

* they were on trees so it's not snowdrops.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Rogue Trooper on 19 February, 2024, 02:29:14 PMChem's thicker than normal. Eyes itchy.

You're really getting a handle on this new role, Funt Rogue!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

On the warn-torn hell planet of Nu Earth, the solution to a lack of arable land is vertical factory farming. An army marches on its stomach, and G-Rations don't cut it in the long term.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Rogue Trooper on 20 February, 2024, 10:25:56 PMOn the warn-torn hell planet of Nu Earth, the solution to a lack of arable land is vertical factory farming. An army marches on its stomach, and G-Rations don't cut it in the long term.

Once again, Brass Eye nails the future. 

Funt Solo

Drax: UK power station still burning rare forest wood

A BBC article exposing a tax-subsidized power station that magically doesn't get counted as carbon-emitting.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Rogue Trooper on 28 February, 2024, 06:44:57 PMA BBC article exposing a tax-subsidized power station that magically doesn't get counted as carbon-emitting.

IIRC, the original idea behind Drax was that it grew its own trees and then burnt them for power... which is broadly carbon neutral because the only CO2 it returns to the atmosphere is the same stuff that was sequestered by the trees it grew itself. Because those trees were on its doorstep, there's negligible CO2 added to the equation for transport of fuel. Broadly speaking, not a bad idea.

This, however, is not that.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

Yeah - it's a classic problem.

- We'll pay you to only cut down new growth, sustainable forests.
 - Okay, boys - cut down that old growth to make way for the new growth!

(Plus, companies just straight out cheating.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Rogue Trooper on 28 February, 2024, 07:10:34 PM- Okay, boys - cut down that old growth to make way for the new growth!

What could possibly go wrong...?

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.