Main Menu

Star Wars Episode IX

Started by JOE SOAP, 10 July, 2018, 01:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: broodblik on 24 September, 2019, 01:23:51 PM
This explains to me why the latest Star Wars movies felt like it was created by people whom never really cared for the franchise.

Whereas I'd have the opposite view: Last Jedi was for me the most genuinely Star-Warsy Star Wars since Return of the Jedi, Rogue One the least, despite all the accurate dressing (although I still enjoyed it).

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 September, 2019, 07:03:54 PMWhereas I'd have the opposite view: Last Jedi was for me the most genuinely Star-Warsy Star Wars since Return of the Jedi

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 29 August, 2019, 11:47:53 PM
Quote from: Apestrife on 27 August, 2019, 06:59:46 PM
The fold out double lightsaber bothers me more than it should  :|

I don't mind the concept... but it's something I'd prefer to unfold BEFORE igniting I think. Lightsabers are enough of a H&S nightmare as they are. 😆

Rule of Cool outranks Health and Safety regs!

QuoteI liked the trailer, but I'm easily impressed in some ways. The fact I like all the films, even the films that most fans (at least our generation) consider awful proves this, (although Phantom... was trying at times.).

Phantom was rather trying, though (in order of awesomeness) the podrace, Darth Maul and Duel of the Fates did much to help.  The other two films had good bits, but obviously they all pail into insignificance next to the power of the Holy Trinity.

TordelBack

Cheeses crust, I wasn't wrong about my YouTube recommendations... "Disney admit they ruined Star Wars", "Kennedy betrayed Lucas" and on and on and on... imagine all that furious editing long into the night.

Hawkmumbler

I really don't get the argument that Canto Bight scene was pointless. It's a daft chase scene filled with silly aliens in a daft franchise filled with silly aliens.

Star Wars has never been high art, or the series you turn to for interesting lore, TLJ had the same problems all good SW movie did, but it's highs where so much above most that have come before. Delightful movie.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 25 September, 2019, 02:12:20 PM
I really don't get the argument that Canto Bight scene was pointless. It's a daft chase scene filled with silly aliens in a daft franchise filled with silly aliens.

Star Wars has never been high art, or the series you turn to for interesting lore, TLJ had the same problems all good SW movie did, but it's highs where so much above most that have come before. Delightful movie.

This just this. I watched it this week and its brilliant. The last hour is almost certainly the most visually stunning segment in the entire franchise. Great movie.

Greg M.

TLJ remains one of the worst films I've ever seen. Though building on wonky foundations, I nonetheless thought it might be better than the mostly-rubbish TFA - removing JJ Abrams from any equation is always a good thing - but I was amazed by how spectacularly awful it was. Were it not that those of you praising it have previously displayed more than a modicum of taste, I'd regard you all as quite, quite mad.

(And yet... despite a barrel-scrapingly dire script, it does have some great visual design in it. Snoke's throne room looks great.)

Professor Bear

My favorite character is Rose, the brave bomber pilot who explains why killing is wrong and why we shouldn't be trying to stop the baddies but instead sway them with superior arguments, which I imagine is the rationale a great many people have for joining a paramilitary terrorist organisation.

broodblik

Greg M unfortunately you are correct in you analysis of TLJ. From the stupid slap-stick moments to the illogical plot twists it is the worse SW movie ever made. Currently I have No Hope that episode IX will be able to save the new trilogy but I hope I am completely wrong.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Quote from: Greg M. on 25 September, 2019, 06:21:56 PM
TLJ remains one of the worst films I've ever seen.... Were it not that those of you praising it have previously displayed more than a modicum of taste, I'd regard you all as quite, quite mad.

This in itself is quite wonderful though - all here share at least one long-term SF interest, and probably at one time an interest in SW as well, but as a group we seem about evenly split on whether we really love, utterly hate or couldn't care less about TLJ. It's an interesting dynamic, and certainly seems to contradict the popular assertion that this is just bland corporate shovelware.

Hawkmumbler

Anyone who claims the sequels are bland, corporate shovelware need to rewatch the prequels, which stripped of their brand could barely pass for bottom shelf, direct to video schlock.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 25 September, 2019, 06:21:56 PM
Were it not that those of you praising it have previously displayed more than a modicum of taste, I'd regard you all as quite, quite mad.

Hey things aren't bad here - at least the 'pro TLJ' side of the board isn't infecting a much respected thread with claims that 'The Princess Bride' isn't a piece of cinematic genius. Now that is madness!

Woolly

Quote from: broodblik on 25 September, 2019, 06:57:05 PM
...From the stupid slap-stick moments to the illogical plot twists it is the worse SW movie ever made...

You've not seen episode 2 then?  ;)

Tjm86

The one thing that completely baffled me (out of a whole raft of utterly incomprehensible plot devices) in TLJ was the idea of the bombers.  Let's face it, throughout the SW franchise, spaceflight has been portrayed as frenetic, high speed and hard to track.  Anything that can not move that fast tends to last a very short space of time.  So to start the film with a scene in which lumbering bombers try bomb a fleet of hyperspace-flight-enabled destroyers requires a suspension of belief beyond the ordinary.  Now I know that I am talking about believability in a fantasy film but let's face it, even by those standards this is a level of stupidity that breaks new ground.

Professor Bear

Amazing that we're all okay with Leia Poppins.