Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 08 October, 2019, 07:52:27 PM
In the last three days, the POTUS spent a million dollars on

I don't remember seeing that acronym beyond the last few years.  Always makes me think PITA...

radiator

Quote from: Frank on 08 October, 2019, 09:16:01 PM
Quote from: radiator on 08 October, 2019, 08:48:45 PM
QuoteRadiator's not just in the US. He's located in the geographic centre of US neo-Nazidom

Oregon has an... interesting history regarding inclusiveness, but that statement isn't really accurate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksfront

https://www.behindthebastards.com/podcasts/part-one-oregon-is-a-bastard-the-history-of-a-white-supremacist-state.htm

As I say, it has some very dodgy suff in its history (again, like most US states I would imagine). Worth pointing out how much it's changed (and how the population has exploded) in recent decades though. Portland itself has by all accounts completely transformed from what it was like even 15-20 years ago.

Funnily enough, listening to a different episode of that very same podcast right now. I'll give that one a listen.

Frank

Quote from: radiator on 08 October, 2019, 09:35:03 PM
As I say, it has some very dodgy stuff in its history (again, like most US states I would imagine). Worth pointing out how much it's changed (and how the population has exploded) in recent decades though.

Yeah, man; we've all seen Portlandia, but Liza Minnelli tells me Weimar Germany was a pretty liberal place. Embrace your new home's entertaining ability to attract weirdos who would seek to shape it in their own image.

Tiplodocus

I always liked the acronym SCROTUS for Trump.

So Called Ruler Of The United States.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JayzusB.Christ

I'm watching RTE for the first time in ages, and there's a home renovation show on - the family is a gay male couple and their adopted black ltitle boy. I'm a bit drunk now, but it's nice, is all I'm saying, that the focus is on what their gaff looks like and not on them.

I could never have envisaged such a future in the church-ridden backwater of my youth.  We have a long way to go but we're getting there.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

maryanddavid

I like Room to Improve, RTE gets a bit of stick, but the Doc On One is great.

JayzusB.Christ

Last night was the first time I watched actual, non-computer screen telly in months.  I only have the Irish channels but I must say I quite enjoy the old-world charm of being limited in your viewing options.  And Irish telly is a whole lot more varied than it was when I were a lad (though thankfully back then we had the English channels too, and could watch The Word and cursing and sex and that).

I did like Room to Improve though.  Never seen it before but I do like a nice renovation show, especially when I know the area the house is in.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Whereas I watched a mere sliver of the Late Late for the first time this year, just to watch the Bercow appearance. It was unutterable shite, we should collectively sue Tubirdy as a nation to try to recoup some of our licence fee. I can't believe any host of a flagship chat show could be so flat and clueless, never mind one that gets half million of our money p.a.

Aside: I worked on one of the Room to Improve projects 6 or 7 years ago. It was... bizarre.

Richard

Was anyone on the march or in Parliament Square today?

I skipped the march and went straight to Parliament Square.

IndigoPrime

I did both. First time in three marches I've made it to Parliament Square.

Professor Bear

Just got done watching a documentary about the Brits negotiating Brexit from Ireland in 1921 and I am amused at the cycle of history.  When it gets to the bit about Northern Ireland complicating the whole process, it is to LOL.

Dandontdare

"Gladstone spent his declining years trying to guess the answer to the Irish question; unfortunately, whenever he was getting warm, the Irish secretly changed the question."
Sellar & Yeatman - 1066 and All That 1930

TordelBack

Oh those drunken rascals, always playing tricks on his lordship.

A humorous book taken as their sole history text by far too many.

Tjm86

Took a bit of time to figure out which book you were talking about there ....

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 October, 2019, 01:35:58 AM
"Gladstone spent his declining years trying to guess the answer to the Irish question; unfortunately, whenever he was getting warm, the Irish secretly changed the question."
Sellar & Yeatman - 1066 and All That 1930

I've never read it, but my dad had the Irish knock-off, The Comic History of Ireland. Despite its derivative nature and pedestrian title, it was utterly hilarious.  '"Are you the password?" they asked. With ready wit, Sarsfield replied "I am."'

(Also, would it be churlish to point out that Ireland didn't exactly sign up to join the UK, and didn't get much say in the policy-making processes?)