Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 01 October, 2017, 01:50:09 PM
Speaking of Doctor Who, felt compelled to give Season 7 (1970) a rewatch, half way through The Silurians and you know what? This might be the perfect Who season.

Let's see what you make of Ambassadors of Death this time around. I've had heated debates about this one - a friend of mine absolutely loves it, but I just can't get on with at all. Great bits, but overall, a somewhat incoherent mess.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Greg M. on 01 October, 2017, 02:13:32 PM
Let's see what you make of Ambassadors of Death this time around. I've had heated debates about this one - a friend of mine absolutely loves it, but I just can't get on with at all. Great bits, but overall, a somewhat incoherent mess.
I'm really rather found of Ambassadors of Death, as a lesser, kinda-sorta remake of The Quatermass Experiment it at least has a lot of good going for it. Inferno appears to be the true dividing point for many Who fans, which is a shame as I utterly adore it.

Greg M.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 02 October, 2017, 11:15:00 AM
Inferno appears to be the true dividing point for many Who fans, which is a shame as I utterly adore it.

Intrigued by the idea of Inferno as divisive - I'd always thought it was universally acclaimed. Personally, I love it - it's one of the few long stories that doesn't feel padded, and the parallel universe stuff creates an atmosphere of impending doom that's hard to beat.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Greg M. on 02 October, 2017, 02:16:21 PM
Intrigued by the idea of Inferno as divisive - I'd always thought it was universally acclaimed.

It is pretty widely acclaimed, to my utter bafflement. It's fucking terrible. It's glacially paced and the plot makes almost no sense  — why is there a gas that turns people into hairy nutters? What bearing does it have on the actual plot? Why bother introducing a subplot about some man from the ministry only to kill him off in a car crash?

No, sorry. It's rubbish.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Greg M.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 October, 2017, 03:35:31 PM
It's glacially paced and the plot makes almost no sense  — why is there a gas that turns people into hairy nutters? What bearing does it have on the actual plot? Why bother introducing a subplot about some man from the ministry only to kill him off in a car crash?

Sir Keith isn't killed in our universe - he survives the car accident with minor injuries and helps shut down the Inferno Project at the end. As for Stahlman's ooze and its creation of the Primords - you're right that it's never really explained exactly what it is and why it does what it does, but I tend to simply accept it as another menacing aspect of an already destructive project. (Of course, the behind-the-scenes reason for the addition of the Primords is because it was felt the story lacked monsters, and that they'd help fill out the 7 episodes. I think it worked, but clearly you'd disagree.)

As for why the story's so well-regarded, you've got a novel concept for Dr. Who (first time the series ever dealt with parallel universes), it's well-directed, and the bleak atmosphere is well-sustained. Most importantly though, the performances are largely top notch: Nicholas Courtney and Caroline John in particular excel in portraying their parallel universe counterparts.

Mattofthespurs

Thumbs up from me for Inferno and the whole series/season.
One of my favourites.

radiator

The Deuce on HBO. Just watched the feature-length pilot last night - it's the new series by the creator of The Wire (which I shamefully still have not seen).

Wow. Recommended.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: radiator on 03 October, 2017, 05:31:57 PM
The Deuce on HBO. Just watched the feature-length pilot last night - it's the new series by the creator of The Wire (which I shamefully still have not seen).

Wow. Recommended.

Double this - only seen the pilot as well so far and it's pure David Simon magic. People are calling it a "return to form" but honestly everything he's done is gold for me. This is his first proper period piece and it's rich with detail, strong with character with a solid focus. GLORIOUS.

Colin YNWA

Just starting a Twin Peaks re-watch ahead of tracking down the new stuff. Only watched the Pilot to date but that's some damned fine telly right there.

Its still got it.

radiator

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 03 October, 2017, 07:47:36 PM
Quote from: radiator on 03 October, 2017, 05:31:57 PM

Wow. Recommended.

Double this - only seen the pilot as well so far and it's pure David Simon magic. People are calling it a "return to form" but honestly everything he's done is gold for me. This is his first proper period piece and it's rich with detail, strong with character with a solid focus. GLORIOUS.

It's really great - we watched episode 2 last night.

I hadn't seen anything by David Simon before, and was worried from what I'd heard that his stuff might be a little heavy and dry, but that's not the case at all. Instantly memorable, compelling characters and a really fascinating location and period. It's far from relentlessly grim, and I love the little humanising character beats like the cops ordering illicit Chinese food for the prostitutes.

Maggie Gylenhaal gonna win some awards I think.

Mardroid

I'm just 3 episodes into The Expanse, season 2. So far it's enjoyable stuff.

TordelBack

G.L.O.W. really tickling my fancy at the moment.  Nice punchy episodes at 30 minutes each, truly great performance from Marc Maron as a failing B Movie director, and some great supporting casting in Sydelle Noel, Britney Young, Kate Nash(!) and pretty much everyone else. Rather less keen on Alison Brie's Ruth, who is every bit as annoyingly wet as she's supposed to be... great acting, but hard to watch. 

radiator

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 October, 2017, 09:29:27 AM
G.L.O.W. really tickling my fancy at the moment.  Nice punchy episodes at 30 minutes each, truly great performance from Marc Maron as a failing B Movie director, and some great supporting casting in Sydelle Noel, Britney Young, Kate Nash(!) and pretty much everyone else. Rather less keen on Alison Brie's Ruth, who is every bit as annoyingly wet as she's supposed to be... great acting, but hard to watch.

Loved that show. Can't wait for season 2.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 October, 2017, 09:29:27 AM
G.L.O.W. really tickling my fancy at the moment.

With you there - great characters and solidly realized. Brie is definitely a grower - the heel in most senses of the word thus far. Halfway through here :)

Tiplodocus

Researching Season 1 of Game of Thrones. More shaggi g and less big onscreen battles but the main realisation is how much character motivation and ambition I missed. It's all laid out.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!