Main Menu

ICE 2017 - Brighton

Started by Steve Green, 09 November, 2016, 02:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Large48

[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

David Broughton

I'll be going next week too. I'll be at my trading table sketching and selling my reasonably priced comics, Shaman Kane, Martillo, Detective Gallo and Spectre show (See attached pictures below) and I'll be giving away sketches and/or A4 prints of 2000AD characters free with sales of my comics.  :)

Steve Green

Went yesterday - I wasn't in the best frame of mind, work's slow - waiting on getting paid from previous job, and a bit conventioned out.

I helped Dan out on the Planet Replicas table, but managed a quick hi to people, including Dave Gibbons who Dan had a comp Mekon for.

Had a quick natter with him about the Rogue helmet Dan had on display, which he gave the thumbs up to, talking about how it's supposed to look like a cobra, and that originally Rogue was supposed to have scales.

Wasn't the biggest con, and suffered a bit from quite a high door price for the size (£15).

Also the entrance was squirreled away down a sidestreet.

I just think we've reached saturation point with cons.

Tjm86

Quote from: Steve Green on 11 June, 2017, 01:45:51 PM

I just think we've reached saturation point with cons.

Here in Wales most conventions are pretty much inaccessible due to distance / cost and Brighton was a complete non starter.  Somewhere like Birmingham makes a hell of a lot more sense from an access point of view but I guess there must have been reasons.  I don't think it helps that it is so much about films now either.  I know it draws in a bigger crowd and so is better financially for the organisers but it does kind of kill it for me.  The last con I went to was in Cardiff and that was about six or so years ago.  The most recent ones  have been more film cons than comic.  Bristol used to be worth the travel but that seems to have died a death.

I think possibly the biggest thing for me though is that back in the day cons were a chance to track down that latest issue that just never showed up in your local shop.  There was a thrill to leafing through the boxes in search of a comic you had been searching for for months.  The agony of choosing which ones to leave because you had used up all your pocket money savings ...  sigh!

Steve Green

ICE is still on in Birmingham in Sept.

You've got TB in the same month now, LSCC in August

That's just the pure comic cons, not including the media ones.

See what I mean about saturation?

I'd booked it a while ago, and only went down to catch up with Dan, as he's local - and Brighton is reasonably easy to get to. More of a there in body, but not in spirit for me though.