Main Menu

Bolland's take on Slaine

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 17 March, 2015, 09:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 23 March, 2015, 09:13:28 PM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 22 March, 2015, 04:17:51 PM
...or everyone's favourite fan-film producer...

I don\t like his face and anybody do that thing with black face paint around the eyes.

Like he's some sort raccon.

And I've had friends who have spent the night in A&E because a strange didn't like their face or the way they chose to dress.  What's your point?

JOE SOAP

I don\t like his face and anybody do that thing with black face paint around the eyes.

TordelBack

What is it with 2000AD and asymmetric shoulder pads anyway?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Tordelback on 25 March, 2015, 12:20:43 AM

Lazy artists. That's got to be it.
Lock up your spoons!

Steve Green

Quote from: Tordelback on 25 March, 2015, 12:20:43 AM

So they can wind up any magazine editors who want to flip shots for articles.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 24 March, 2015, 11:41:37 PM

My brother had that on his bedroom wall when we were nippers.  We both agreed that Sláine looked like Anneka Rice in it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 March, 2015, 08:38:14 AM
We both agreed that Sláine looked like Anneka Rice in it.

That is so disturbingly true!

TordelBack

Hah! I also had this poster on my wall, and it was only when carting away truckloads of kibble from my parents' house years later that I realised quite how marvellously gay an image it is. Add in the naked Massimo Slaine wraparound cover (Battle of Dun mBarc) that it shared wall space with and it must have come as quite a surprise when I eventually brought a girl home. Never confused!

Banners

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tordelback on 25 March, 2015, 10:02:01 AM
Add in the naked Massimo Slaine wraparound cover (Battle of Dun mBarc) that it shared wall space with and it must have come as quite a surprise when I eventually brought a girl home. Never confused!

I think you're reading far too much into it.  What could possibly be so gay about a naked man with his cock and balls rubbing against the back of another man's neck?  If you think that's gay, YOUR'RE A GAY

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Well, that picture seems to have disappeared.  Here it is again.  Slaine, as I say, rubbing his cock and balls on the back of a man's neck. 

TordelBack

And thus the sport of Rugby was born.

(Hey, do you like how I added the missing 'm' to that title? 14 years of being taught Irish not entirely wasted on me! Although I did leave out the 'na'...)

ThryllSeekyr

I'm don't get the gay connotations at all, but that picture is a good one.

Nearly all the wraparound covers are...other than Slaine!

I think if you call it home-erotic, then practically everything going to look gay for you.

Aside from what people already find gay about character who spend a lot time semi-nude or fully nude with members of the same sex. 

Do you think the application of his manhood to the back of another guys head is poofy.

Then I want you to try this now, if somebody would let you.

BTW Where is Dun-Barc?

It may be either purely fictcous place or it's name has been forgotten.

Then the name it self suggests what pass's for toilet paper in Tir-Nan-Og

I also have been working origin story (Just for fun!) for how Slaine and Ukko first met and then this connected to how he got booted from his tribe. It's definitely a gay recon of the original work, but none of that even happens. Figured I'd share it here since perceived gayness in Slaine is being discussed.

I nearly submitted it hours ago, but it needs more work. So, I have just saved it to Note-Pad for now.

TordelBack

Tell me Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? No-one's suggesting Slaine is gay (except perhaps Pat Mills, when he set him up in a surprisingly tender relationship with Simon de Montfort, and, apparently, you...), it's just some of his fashion choices would tend towards stereotypical depictions of same...

Anyway, Dun Barc/Dun na mBarc/Donemark is another real place, translating I suppose as 'the fort of the boats', although it's not one I've been to yet: somewhere near Kilmocomogue, Bantry, Co. Kerry, and given as the landing place of Noah's granddaughter Cessair, presumably ancestor of the Sessair, in the Book of Invasions.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Tordelback on 26 March, 2015, 12:26:08 AM
Tell me Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? No-one's suggesting Slaine is gay (except perhaps Pat Mills, when he set him up in a surprisingly tender relationship with Simon de Montfort, and, apparently, you...), it's just some of his fashion choices would tend towards stereotypical depictions of same...

Anyway, Dun Barc/Dun na mBarc/Donemark is another real place, translating I suppose as 'the fort of the boats', although it's not one I've been to yet: somewhere near Kilmocomogue, Bantry, Co. Kerry, and given as the landing place of Noah's granddaughter Cessair, presumably ancestor of the Sessair, in the Book of Invasions.

Sorry, I don't have a problem with any bodies confusion of Saluen sexuality or if wether he really is gay or not.

Yes, I don't mind those type of films, but Gladiator bored me so much I took a map in the cinema when watching this. Yet, I own almost every DvD from that Spartacus television series. Get more off on the graphic violence and gore. Sick as that maybe compared to homosexuality.

I don't think it was the same deal back then that it is now, given that even they have  won their fight for acceptance in this day and age. Anyway, given that the Romans were well known for their orgies, I think it was the more civilised cultures that practised this more than the nomadic tribes did. Yet, I jus guessing that only because city folk tend to be all over everything and free peoples would be lucky if they could get any at all.

The same with fashion, only the civilised or people of today have a choice and so their sexuality may come into question if they are dressed in something that looks like bondage gear.

Where people like Slaine are only wearing the fashion that is available to the norm or has been forced on them by availability. Back then where a leather suit was all there was to own, I think Slaine had to make do.

Again, this is only speculation on my part and your welcome to say I'm very wrong.