Main Menu

'In those days, there were giants.'

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 28 July, 2020, 01:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I've just remembered this quote - a questionably-translated line from the Book of Genesis - from the prog.  I could have sworn it was the last page of The Horned God, but it seems my memory has failed me. 
Anyone remember where it was from? Just to put my mind at rest.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

I can't place it. It wouldn't be out of place in Shamballa, though.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 28 July, 2020, 08:15:56 PM
I can't place it. It wouldn't be out of place in Shamballa, though.

That was my first thought but it was really just a cluck at them there straws, no more than that. A tinkling in the back of my addled mind.

Funt Solo

Wait - it's not Leviathan's Farewell, is it?

Edit: Nah. I checked the '89 Special: last frame has "I heard the last giant sing". Not quite what you're looking for, probably.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

maryanddavid

I remember that phrase, but from the kids tale of when Oisín returned to Ireland from Tír na nÓg after 300 years.

Seeing some slight looking guys trying to shift a rock, he lent over and moved it with one hand, but the stress broke the girth on the saddle of his horse, and he hit the ground, instantly becoming old and dying soon after.

Whereupon one of the slight lads said 'In those days they were giants' 

Might not be where you are remembering it from, but that's what popped in my head!

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks, guys, but I've nailed it! The actual quote is 'And there were giants in the earth in those days.' It's the end of Slaine: The Spoils of Annwn - presumably a double reference to both the zodiac creatures sculpted out of the earth and to Slaine himself.   

The Genesis quote is sometimes 'giants' and sometimes 'the Nephilim', and I would imagine it contributes to the early references in Slaine to Titans becoming extinct.

Maryanddavid - I remember the story well! For all the priest-ridden education we got here in the 80s, there were some good legends involved too.  Particularly when i began to notice all the Slaine overlaps.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 July, 2020, 09:21:45 AM
Thanks, guys, but I've nailed it! The actual quote is 'And there were giants in the earth in those days.' It's the end of Slaine: The Spoils of Annwn - presumably a double reference to both the zodiac creatures sculpted out of the earth and to Slaine himself.   

I was going to suggest an earlier, black and white series of Sláine if you hadn't come up with the goods.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 29 July, 2020, 11:10:18 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 July, 2020, 09:21:45 AM

I was going to suggest an earlier, black and white series of Sláine if you hadn't come up with the goods.

It's one of the few black and white Sláines that I think could have been improved by colour, but it was spectacular all the same.  I loved how the gigantic, mindblowing scenes and concepts were coupled with small, mundane ones (gardeners maintaining the landscape, for example, and a task involving mucking out a minotaur's stall).

It marked a nice bit of character development for Sláine too - the pig-ignorant, thuggish barbarian became an enlightened, smarter and more spiritual king-in-waiting (but still, thankfully, a hard-drinking, violent savage).