Main Menu

The definitive copyright thread

Started by sheridan, 11 August, 2016, 10:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Steve Green on 12 August, 2016, 12:41:41 PM
I'd forgotten about Rick Random - googling the story, I thought it was reprint and the Ezquerra episode was just a redrawn lost part.

I didn't realise it was written by Steve Moore and this was a new story.

Prion released a collection a while back - if you look carefully you can see that the cover of the book is copyright IPC Media 2008

(edit) Lew Stringer has more details:
QuoteIPC sold off their comic rights to Warners, but Egmont (a separate company) still own material. It's quite complex; I think IPC owned the characters published up to 1970 and Egmont owned the rest or something. Anyway, Titan appear to have given up on IPC reprints and are now focusing only on Egmont material (Charley's War, Roy of the Rovers, Buster).

sheridan

Quote from: The Cosh on 12 August, 2016, 01:07:01 PM
Wasn't Pat trying to get a new edition of Metalzoic into print last year? Can't remember the details (because I operated on my own Brian.)
Yes - the link I posted was Pat's announcement that it had come to nought.

I, Cosh

Quote from: sheridan on 12 August, 2016, 01:09:59 PM
Wasn't Pat trying to get a new edition of Metalzoic into print last year? Can't remember the details (because I operated on my own Brian.)
Yes - the link I posted was Pat's announcement that it had come to nought.
Read the links! Are you mad?!
We never really die.

Frank

Can't remember the details (because I operated on my own Brian)

Who could be mad at the Cosh when he makes the funny.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: sheridan on 12 August, 2016, 12:39:31 PM
Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 12 August, 2016, 12:30:56 PM
There's the largely forgettable tie-in to SNES game Urban Strike, too - presumably owned by Electronic Arts.
Didn't 2000AD run a Rebellion-owned adaptation of a game soon after they took over?

Rings a vague bell - something that ran in the Meg?  Errr... The Scrap? 
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Steve Green

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Steve Green on 12 August, 2016, 05:16:49 PM
Wardog?

That's the one!

Edit - holy cow, that was fifteen years ago!  And it's nearly a thousand progs since the end of The Pit!
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

sheridan

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 12 August, 2016, 05:21:15 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 12 August, 2016, 05:16:49 PM
Wardog?

That's the one!

Edit - holy cow, that was fifteen years ago!  And it's nearly a thousand progs since the end of The Pit!
Urban Strike and Wardog had got fused into one in my head, so I hadn't realised there'd been two computer game-related strips printed...

p.s. trademark / copyright-wise, it looks like Matchbox still have the copyright on the Land Raider (or at least the toy version) as it was hinted by Keith Richardson that Rebellion tried to convince them to release a tie-in to Cursed Earth Uncensored, but no dice.

Colin YNWA

[quote author=Lobo Baggins link=topic=43591.msg925566#msg925566 date=147101887

[/quote]

Never, ever say that again.

Never...

never

Tjm86

Quote from: Butch on 12 August, 2016, 04:30:46 PM
Can't remember the details (because I operated on my own Brian)

Who could be mad at the Cosh when he makes the funny.

My question is, did he operate on his wife's?

::)

rogue69

the way I understand the situation with Metalozic is that Pat Mills & Kevin O'Neil own the rights to the story & art, DC own the publishing rights to the colour version & Rebellion part own the publishing rights to the B&W but they need DC's permission to reprint this. This was the main stumbling block on the collected edition as Pat & Kev wanted it to have both versions published together & now DC & rebellion are in a stalemate over the publishing rights to the B&W version

Robo-K33F

Quote from: Butch on 12 August, 2016, 01:00:00 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 12 August, 2016, 12:38:31 PM
Quote from: norton canes on 12 August, 2016, 11:37:37 AM
What about Metalzoic? DC copyright, presumably?

Good catch - one of my favourite stories and I complete forgot it!  Pat Mills blogged about it last year - looks like some sort of joint copyright between DC and Rebellion.

The joint venture Mills describes was Rebellion licensing the strip from DC and printing it up as a book, I think. In the same way they're licensing Monster and Misty from IPC.

I don't think Rebellion own Metalzoic at all. Every 2000ad episode ran with a disclaimer saying DC owned all trademarks and copyright, and that it was used with permission. They just serialized it, like the Megazine did with Preacher.

It is a DC property.

Unfortunately.

sheridan

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 13 August, 2016, 11:23:21 AM
It is a DC property.

Unfortunately.
Thanks for confirming, Robo-K33F.  Too bad - I have the original DC printing and while the colouring is better than the average comic of the era, the story as a whole was better in black and white.  Would have been interesting to see what Kev made of re-colouring it with today's colour printing, and also to see B&W printed on non-bog paper.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 12 August, 2016, 10:05:37 PM
[quote author=Lobo Baggins link=topic=43591.msg925566#msg925566 date=147101887

Never, ever say that again.

Never...

never

[/quote]
You think thats bad? I was 1 year old when The Pit concluded.

Finding this thread fascinating chaps, but no ones opened the can of worms that is Zenith yet?

Trout