Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Film & TV / Re: Last movie watched...
« Last post by pictsy on Today at 07:02:50 pm »
I also think it is great that there is no explanation as to why it is happening and it's not entirely clear why it stopped, either.  It gives the film a real enigmatic quality.

I've thought about Groundhog Day rather too much over the years, and even more-so since I became effectively addicted to the recording of Tim Minchin's sublime musical adaptation, but I think Phil finally breaks the cycle when he stops striving to be somewhere/when else, stops trying to manipulate people and just experiences and enjoys the day he has. 

It's always tempting to see it as some sort of Quantum Leap fix-everything type of deal, but I think the set up of the last day indicates that his journey is from complete self-imposed insulation from his surroundings to completely embracing and appreciating them, not least by accepting and respecting the agency of others.  As the musical puts it (suggesting that there being two Phils is no coincidence), he emerges from his burrow, and doesn't see his own shadow. 

I think that he could bring that perspective into the world, and live a good life, day to day.

It could be that the cycle is to do with Phil and Rita's relationship.  There are indications of this in the film.  Phil apparently falls for her when he first sees her.  He also ends up meeting most of her criteria for her ideal man by the end.  It is a driving force for Phil and provides for some of the big beats of the film.  Phil's initial inability to relate to Rita because of what an arse he his.  At this point he has no real way of processing his feelings.  When he initially realises what is going on he goes to Rita for help, but is unable to convince her.  Realising that he is stuck in the situation he embraces his egotism and the notion of having no consequences to his actions.  He manipulates people and his surroundings.  He tries to manipulate Rita to get what he wants, expressed at sex at this point.  He still has the desire to connect but fails over and over again. 

When he realises he is getting nowhere he becomes depressed and we enter the suicide montage.  That turns out to be just as pointless and frustrating and Phil is broken.  He reaches out once more to Rita, using what he knows to simply try and convince her.  He wants her to believe him.  When she does and when she decides to stay with him it is another major turning point, this time to the positive.  With a more positive outlook on his situation and thanks to some input from Rita which he takes to heart, Phil endeavours to make the most of things and become the person he needs to be to be with Rita.  The final cycle shows us him achieving that.

I actually prefer your interpretation to this idea, but this is why I seriously love this film.  It is just such fun to think about the film and what it is doing.  If they explained what was happening and why, this film would not have resonated so well with me.
General / Re: What happened to Myra Hancock?
« Last post by Darren Stephens on Today at 06:20:03 pm »
I loved both Tao De Moto and Sticky Fingers. Both had great art too, If I recall correctly.  ;)
General / Re: What happened to Myra Hancock?
« Last post by TordelBack on Today at 05:25:32 pm »
Only thing wrong with Tao De Moto was that it was too damn short,  both week-to-week and overall. A missed chance for something quite different.
Off Topic / Re: The Political Thread
« Last post by Professor Bear on Today at 04:26:49 pm »
And yet it's snowing outside - so much for global warming.  FAKE NEWS.
Off Topic / Re: Life is sometimes sort of okay because...
« Last post by The Legendary Shark on Today at 03:45:44 pm »
I'm more interested in the cat-house aspect...

Prog / Re: Prog 2064 - Return of the Mac!
« Last post by TordelBack on Today at 03:44:59 pm »
And as long as it entertains me each week- and the strips I don't like I can see are being enjoyed by others- I will keep on buying.

Tut-tut, what kind of an attitude is that: this is the internet, we'll have none of that here. If every strip isn't to your exact specifications, you're supposed to rage-quit and accuse Tharg of shoving his rigellian hotshots up your childhood, or at the very least of caving into to [unspecified] SJW pressure and ruining everything

« Last post by TordelBack on Today at 03:39:54 pm »
I'm within the last few days of looking after my parents' cat / house while they're on holidays.  You've just reminded me to hunt out my Dad's home-brewed porter before it gets dark out.

Party at your gaff, so!
Off Topic / Re: The Political Thread
« Last post by The Legendary Shark on Today at 02:48:06 pm »
There has to be something driving rising temperatures in the oceans, right? :D

Books & Comics / Re: ANT WARS collection
« Last post by Magnetica on Today at 02:21:00 pm »
I know its not a commonly held view but I really do think it's my favourite Gerry Finley Day story as its B-Movie stylings really suit his B-Movie style - big on ideas clumsy with execution.

I think you are right....it’s not a commonly held view  :lol:

For me, as far as GFD is concerned you can’t beat The VCs.
« Last post by JayzusB.Christ on Today at 02:03:03 pm »
I made my own beer, sampled the first batch tonight. It's good. Don't have a hydrometer, so I don't know how strong it might be.

I own a TV. Make of that what you will

What did you brew?
As long as it tastes good that's all that matters.

Irish Red Ale*

I just used a kit, with a nag of malt and some priming sugar. It required more patience than skill to be honest.

*which doesn't get shortened to an acronym like IPA does.

Kits are pretty easy but you can get some great results.
My advice would be to ignore the instructions and look online for some advice.The instructions usually don’t give enough time to make a really good beer.
I’d ferment for two weeks and leave in the bottle, or barrel, for about four weeks.

There’s a forum called Jim’s Beer Kit that has lots of good advice.

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/index.php

I'm within the last few days of looking after my parents' cat / house while they're on holidays.  You've just reminded me to hunt out my Dad's home-brewed porter before it gets dark out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10