Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOO-HAA

I'm about 25% complete on Rupert Thomson's Divided Kingdom, and loving it, but Let The Right One In just popped through the letterbox, today, and I'm gagging to get stuck into it (especially after watching the flick).

I'll probably just do what I usually do and read both at feckin' once.  ::)

Goatilocks

Currently reading:

Precious Metal: Decibel Presents the Stories Behind 25 Extreme Metal Masterpieces,

Belzec, Sobibor, Treblinka - The Operation Reinhard Death Camps,

New issue of Terrorizer,

Flesh (Rebellion graphic novel).

Zarjazzer

re-reading the Diamond Throne by the late David Eddings, strange i keep finding all these rather strange inconsistancies. Oh well.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Hoagy

Just finished Arkham Asylum for the first time in over fifteen years. Been wanting it on the bookshelf for that long. Got Obama's book with the times today. Quick scan reveals its either he's a very good writer or he has the best writing staff money can buy, over the pond. A bit of Ian Rankin's Rebus to whet the taste buds as I plan to begin collecting Hellblazer in the near future. And a bit of Templar fiction I picked up cheap. Still haven't finished Next by Crichton. 
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

amberkraken

Just finished a proof copy of Joe Hill's 'Horns'.
Wow!
This is so fucking good. It'll be the step that takes away people picking up his books because they wonder what Stephen King's son writes like, to picking up his books because everyone says how great they are.

It's about a guy who wakes up after a heavy night drinking with horns (hence the title) and he finds himself a demon, more like that devil that sits on your shoulder in cartoons! and people keep asking him if they should do things (their dark feelings) and he can make them do things. All this set with a very moving story of his girlfriend who was raped and killed. and predictably, he uses his power to find out who did it. But the way the story goes isn't so predictable. I enjoyed every last page! When it comes out, go get it!

wild-seven

I'm just about to re-read 'The Wasp Factory' by Iain Banks - 25 years on and still a belter
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

strontium_dog_90

I've just picked up the novelaisation of the old Dredd movie - it was a buy two get the third free, and it was the only thing vaguely culty there. For my sins, I'll be trying to discover if the book explains any of the myriad plot holes of the celluloid piece . . .

COMMANDO FORCES

No it doesn't and neither do the audio books ;)

strontium_dog_90

Damn! Ah well, it was free, I suppose . . .

TordelBack

Just finished Verdus in the RoboHunter Droid Files - for the very first time.  No idea how I missed it before this, I was sure I'd read it but I definitely hadn't.  It's absolutely great!  Best of all is watching Gibson's artwork literally take off, as the mountains of robots grow higher, denser and more insane, and the lines on Sam and Kidd get progressively cleaner and simple.  What a treat! 

What really struck me about Verdus is that this is a story that simply could not have appeared anywhere else other than 2000AD.  A one-year with a machine gun?  A lovesick limbless robo-meter with boobs?  A sewer droid called B.O.? [spoiler] The entire population of colonists killed in a fire - that Sam started?  [/spoiler] Fantastic!

Now on to Day of Da Droids, which I definitely have read, and love. 

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 December, 2009, 05:53:54 PM
It's absolutely great!

It really is, isn't it? I still maintain that Verdus is solid fried gold for a CGI kids' series ... relentlessly inventive visually, plotted with a superb sense of escalating panic, and just enormous fun.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: wild-seven on 05 December, 2009, 04:05:42 PM
I'm just about to re-read 'The Wasp Factory' by Iain Banks - 25 years on and still a belter

Yup. Pretty much a perfect book.
I revisited it again during the summer and was surprised that it was a lot funnier than I had remembered.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 06 December, 2009, 06:36:49 PM
I revisited it again during the summer and was surprised that it was a lot funnier than I had remembered.

Oh, yeah ... in an "Oh, God, I really shouldn't be laughing at that" sort of way ...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 December, 2009, 06:45:09 PM
Quote from: His Lordship rac on 06 December, 2009, 06:36:49 PM

Oh, yeah ... in an "Oh, God, I really shouldn't be laughing at that" sort of way ...

Cheers!

Jim

Indeed, I should have made that clear, lest folks thought I was a bit weird...

I, Cosh

I accidentally reread the first two volumes of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials this weekend. They really are extremely good books.

Then I deliberately reread Legend of the Holy Drinker. They've got a bit of a cheek charging six quid for it, but it does prove that short is often best.
We never really die.