Main Menu

Preacher (TV Series)...

Started by Goaty, 18 November, 2013, 03:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Interestingly though, I do think season 1 did a great job because it only now feels like set-up in retrospect. At the time it seemed that the whole Anville thing was the show, and each season would be Jesse dealing with all the characters in the town, figuring out his power and fending off bad sorts who show up, and that'd be enough premise to carry most other shows. If you'd never read the comics and were coming to the show fresh I definitely think you'd assume that was the way things were going to go.

Wiping the slate clean more or less and blasting off season 2 with the road trip feels pretty bold and exciting, and you've got the benifit that you're setting off with characters that you now know and can fully enjoy hitting the road with, and some of the wackier ideas now don't seem so wacky so they can really go all-out on that front.

Episode 3 was another corker!

zombemybabynow

Season 2 kicking arse - great tv series
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

JLC

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 06 July, 2017, 09:46:07 AM
Season 2 kicking arse - great tv series
Really? I gave up halfway through S1

zombemybabynow

If you're looking for a great series to watch then?  Try Chance [hugh laurie] dark & paranoid - really immerses you
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Theblazeuk

Series 1 was a slog but series 2 is, by dint of the first episode, far more interesting.

DrRocka

I absolutely hated the first series, but this one's much more in line with the comic.
Never ever bloody anything ever

JayzusB.Christ

Not too shabby at all, Season 2. The Saint of Killers is just perfect, and [spoiler]Herr Star[/spoiler] looks pretty much spot on.

I still prefer this flawed Jesse to the gobshite in the comics.  As for Cassidy's accent, well, I'm trying to get past it, i really am, and I know it's not that important, but that's pretty much my accent he's trying, and he's not succeeding.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Theblazeuk

I keep forgetting he's supposed to be Oirish.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 13 July, 2017, 11:20:18 AM
I keep forgetting he's supposed to be Oirish.

The thing is, in all other respects Joe Gilgun is the PERFECT pick for our Cass. He looks like him and acts like him; he's twitchy, wiry, eccentric and more or less the same age as (TV) Jesse.  Like i say, Oi'm troying ta muhv pesht det bloody Darby O'Gill eckshent.

Wonder if it grates on Ruth Negga's ears as much? She may be Posh Dublin but i bet she could give him a few lessons in Dublinese.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tiplodocus

What have they done to the pacing? Two episodes in and it's the equivalent of six episodes of Season 1.

Much more fun. I find myself actually laughing at stuff as opposed to thinking "I should laugh at that."
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Steve Green

Apparently it slows right down again in the middle.

JayzusB.Christ

I'm enjoying this more and more as the weeks go on.  The Saint of Killers is just mindblowingly perfect, and it was great to see the artwork of the comics make an appearance. One thing though, why is the Saint of Killers so famous? Unlike the comic version, it's not like he's been around since his original vengeance-fuelled massacre. And why is he called the Saint of Killers? In the comic, that is his job, as given to him by Satan, if I recall correctly. Here it seems to be an unexplained nickname.

Anyway, I'm very much liking Arseface's new reason to hate Jesse, and the hints at future appearances of both the Grail and the dodgier side of Jesse's family. Tulip is becoming more human and relatable, and Dennis's identity was a very nice little twist  (and I can't help thinking Garth Ennis missed a trick there). No sign of the [spoiler]John-Wayne-shaped spirit guide[/spoiler] but it's worth it for the way less smug and self-righteous Jesse.

So, rubbish accent aside, I'm hooked and think I may even prefer it to the comics.

Woolly

Well, after giving up on series 1, I thought I'd give series 2 a try...

The Saint of Killers is spot on, but his fumbled back-story is pissing me off.
As is the drawn out introduction of the Grail and Herr Starr.
As is the slow nature of the whole production.

I'm glad that Jesse isn't coming across as a machismo fuelled prick, but we're losing Tulip's reactions to this as a result. Some of her best bits in the comics are when she refuses to stand for Jesse's bullshit, and Cassidy's bullshit for that matter, then wades in to save the pair of them.
And Tulip letting Cassidy [spoiler]fuck her[/spoiler] in the first series was offensively wrong.

Ruth Negga is superb in the role, as are the rest of the cast (especially McTavish), but the writing and the changes are really putting me off.

Nah, giving up again. Not for me, this one.

JLC

Quote from: Woolly on 31 July, 2017, 11:01:31 AM
Well, after giving up on series 1, I thought I'd give series 2 a try...

The Saint of Killers is spot on, but his fumbled back-story is pissing me off.
As is the drawn out introduction of the Grail and Herr Starr.
As is the slow nature of the whole production.

I'm glad that Jesse isn't coming across as a machismo fuelled prick, but we're losing Tulip's reactions to this as a result. Some of her best bits in the comics are when she refuses to stand for Jesse's bullshit, and Cassidy's bullshit for that matter, then wades in to save the pair of them.
And Tulip letting Cassidy [spoiler]fuck her[/spoiler] in the first series was offensively wrong.

Ruth Negga is superb in the role, as are the rest of the cast (especially McTavish), but the writing and the changes are really putting me off.

Nah, giving up again. Not for me, this one.
I gave up on S1 as well due to the S-L-O-W pace. From your response it doesn't seem to have improved.

Woolly

Well, I watched episode 7 after saying I was done with it*... fantastic episode!
If only the rest could be this well paced and written.
Finally get [spoiler]a Herr Starr and the Grail episode, and some Jesse/Tulip/Cassidy shenanigans that keep with the spirit of the comic.[/spoiler] And the casting is once again spot-on.

Not happy with the omission of [spoiler]D'Aronique and the connections to Jesse's past[/spoiler], but then I'm an unapologetic Preacher fan-boy.

Still not sold on this overall, but this episode has made me finally look on the TV series in a different light.
Either that or I'm just drunk  ;)

*Figured if I'm paying for Amazon Prime, I may as well use it!