Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_ellis

Brothers of the blood was great. Seeing Mean Machine again in Fifty Year old man was great. The written end piece in Black Museum mentions the final mean machine story - which I remember enjoying in the meg. Is this likely to appear in another book? I'd love to see the Molcher text pieces expanded into a whole book. It's been a treat to see Dredd's world & origins through his eyes.

abelardsnazz

Looking forward to reading these next two, TFTBM looks like a great bunch of stories.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Richard on 22 May, 2017, 08:05:54 PM
America isn't a bad home for it though.
It certainly fits there, but it's kind of tacked on as filler, broadly due to MacNeil being on art duties, rather than for any logical thematic reason.

Klegg Bait

I've been having a hard time finding issue 59.  Being in the U.S., Hachette won't ship to me, so I have been collecting via ebay and Amazon.  Forbidden Planet is out of stock.  Are there any other reliable shops I could look at?

glassstanley

Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 May, 2017, 05:27:15 PM
The repro stands up well to boot, including on Return of Rico.

I agree that this volume is a good collection, but can't agree with this comment.

The letratone throughout is a real mess. Sad thing is, a new scan would have been easy to source.

Klegg Bait

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 23 May, 2017, 03:26:04 PM
Is that the Missionary Man issue?
I'll keep an eye out

Yes, Missionary Man.

Thank you!

SuperSurfer

Quote from: glassstanley on 23 May, 2017, 06:16:03 PM
The letratone throughout is a real mess. Sad thing is, a new scan would have been easy to source.
Comparing that Mega Collection photo with Case Files 1, the quality seems the same. Even if a better scan exists or artwork exists to scan from was there the budget to do so? The Mega Collection is amazing value for money and I would say that is down to using existing repro files probably from from the Case Files. And where does one stop? Rescan everything?

glassstanley

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 23 May, 2017, 07:41:07 PM
Quote from: glassstanley on 23 May, 2017, 06:16:03 PM
Comparing that Mega Collection photo with Case Files 1, the quality seems the same. Even if a better scan exists or artwork exists to scan from was there the budget to do so? The Mega Collection is amazing value for money and I would say that is down to using existing repro files probably from from the Case Files. And where does one stop? Rescan everything?

I agree with the VFM comment. I just can't agree that the repro on those 6 pages stands up well. As you say, it's the same files as the Case Files. Is there a budget for it? It's 6 pages. A few minutes work.

Rescan everything? Only the worst offenders. There's a precedent - the Bolland Block Mania episode was replaced for a 2nd edition of Case Files 5. Though if I had to choose, I'd go for a new edition of the first Slaine volume. But that's off-topic for this thread.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: glassstanley on 23 May, 2017, 08:06:56 PM
I just can't agree that the repro on those 6 pages stands up well. As you say, it's the same files as the Case Files. Is there a budget for it? It's 6 pages. A few minutes work.

First of all - a few minute's work?!

Secondly - rescan from what, exactly? The original artwork is long gone fron the archives. Are you suggesting they scan pages from old progs?
@jamesfeistdraws

Max Headroom

Is it possible to scan from old Progs if they are in very good condition? Or does the paper quality make it too difficult?
I'd be interested to know.

sheridan

Slightly off-topic for this thread, but it does bring to mind something that was mentioned at the 40th by Jason Kingsley (or possibly RoboKeef?) about the treasury of British comics. 

As a large number of comics are now in the Rebellion archives (I forget numbers, but for some reason half a million pages comes to mind) and these all need to be scanned before their potential can be realised, Rebellion is actually developing AI to scan the pages (yes, editorial droids are going to bring the long-forgotten comic pages back in to circulation!)

Anyway - as technology progresses, I'm going to guess at some point in the future it may benefit Rebellion to rescan those early pages with the latest technology - from the progs or original artwork (though as we all now, IPC weren't the best caretakers of the artwork).

Tony Angelino

I would guess most of the reprints are scanned from the prog. For example in the Mega Collection would all the earlier, pre-digital stories not just be scans from the prog?

I know for some of the hardback collections like Zenith and The Cursed Earth they got original art but I cant see them doing that for all their reprints.

Pyroxian

Rebellion have the original film from most of the earlier progs, so some will be repro'd from that

glassstanley

I semm to have botched the quoting on my post below - sorry!

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 23 May, 2017, 08:22:32 PM
Quote from: glassstanley on 23 May, 2017, 08:06:56 PM
I just can't agree that the repro on those 6 pages stands up well. As you say, it's the same files as the Case Files. Is there a budget for it? It's 6 pages. A few minutes work.

First of all - a few minute's work?!

Scanning - yes. I've scanned using a Ricoh photo-copier at 600 dpi. 6 pages - pushing 2 minutes.

Secondly - rescan from what, exactly? The original artwork is long gone fron the archives. Are you suggesting they scan pages from old progs?

I've rescanned from the Complete Judge Dredd & Titan to upgrade my digital Case Files (& Slaine). I've also re-scanned from the original progs - the Gibson Robot Wars has never had a good reprint for example.

I'm not going to upload a full page of copyright material, but here's a comparison of the retail Slaine (top) V my scan. Scanning the Belardinelli Slaine's took at top 20 minutes. Sizing, straightening & adjusting contrast them for my upgrade to the retail GN (which I bought) took an evening. That's for far more pages than Retrun of Rico.

[/URL][/img]

Edited by IP to fix quote