Main Menu

Doctor Who - Series 10 (Spoilers)

Started by Taryn Tailz, 16 April, 2017, 01:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

I've caught up on the first two episodes and my enthusiasm is less than underwhelming.

Pilot was a snore and they had to hit us over the head to tell us, 'Hey, look, Bill's gay. Aren't we hep?'

Smile was more of the same.

Proudhuff

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 April, 2017, 01:58:00 PM
If anything, it again showcases the lack of interest in employment good script editors, or the lack of money to pay them. There were the seeds of good ideas here, and the show itself was entertaining enough, but episodes shouldn't break the second you look at them logically. All of the issues with the script could have been ironed out by a decent editor – the premise could have remained, and you'd only have needed to edit bits of dialogue. But modern telly just isn't that interested these days, with a few exceptions. (As I've said here before, at least Who isn't yet at the level of Lucifer, though.)

Funny was thinking the same sort of thing...isn't there a meaning where the do the King's new clothes thing and point at the plot holes, them sort them with a timeywimey/'can't do that won't work' quote?

I'm sure everyone who's tried their hand at Futureshocks does that!!
DDT did a job on me

Taryn Tailz

This weeks Doctor Who claims Jesus was Black...and if you listen closely, you can actually hear the Daily Mail readers crying into the cellars where they keep their families. :P

IndigoPrime

The wife and I rather enjoyed that one. Simple, fun, and with a marked and fair point about 'whitewashing'. And while there's an arc underlying the series, it's not getting in the way (yet) – and nor is Lucas.

Hawkmumbler

I love it that we live in 2017 and people still think Jesus was a white dude.

Mardroid

I figured being born in the middle East Jesus was neither black or white, although some people seem to define black as 'not white'.

Anyway, I liked that episode a lot. It was rather funny in places too, particularly the scene where Bill handles the 'mud' brick.

I've enjoyed all the episodes so far, although I wasn't keen on the resolution last week.

Modern Panther

Misunderstood alien who only kills people because he's sad and wants to go home #237.

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Modern Panther on 30 April, 2017, 11:38:59 PM
Misunderstood alien who only kills people because he's sad and wants to go home #237.

I'm starting to think that might be a deliberate theme in the series now. At least there was a proper bad guy in the episode though, in the form of the moderate Tory guy. :P

Satanist

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 30 April, 2017, 03:48:49 PM

and the son of God  :lol:.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

IndigoPrime

Was it suggested the thing was an alien, or was it just a thing that might have been around on the Earth forever?

Mardroid

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 May, 2017, 01:09:22 PM
Was it suggested the thing was an alien, or was it just a thing that might have been around on the Earth forever?

[spoiler]It wasn't definitively stated either way, but The Doctor thought it might be terrestrial, and the villain said it had been there for generations, so it seems likely it's actually native to Earth.

It's a completely different species of fish to anything we know of course as it has eyelids... (Sharks have a nictating membrane apparently.)[/spoiler]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Satanist on 01 May, 2017, 12:27:27 PM

NOW you're just being silly!

Tjm86

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 01 May, 2017, 02:33:34 PM
Quote from: Satanist on 01 May, 2017, 12:27:27 PM

NOW you're just being silly!

Nah, that would be saying that Theresa May gives Strong and Stable Leadership.

JamesC

I thought last night's episode was the best I've seen of this series.
The wood-woman was pretty freaky - probably quite scary to kids even though she wasn't a baddie as such (which seems to be the theme of this series).

dweezil2

That was a far better episode than this series has offered viewers so far!

There was a very Guillermo del Toro vibe to proceedings and it was nice to see a more horror approach, which immediately recalled some of the old school Tom Baker Doctor Who episodes of yore for me.

Uniformally good performances from Capaldi, Mackie and Suchet too.

The "monsters" behaviour seemed a little inconsistent and their origins a little vague and unconvincing, but other than these criticisms, Knock Knock was more a return to some kind of form.

I wonder if this quality can be sustained
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo