Main Menu

European Comics/Graphic Novels - any recommendations?

Started by Krakajac, 08 July, 2017, 12:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krakajac

Having lived on the south-side of the equator for my 46 years - and not having easy access to comic stores, I get the feeling there's a whole world of very cool European stuff that I've missed out on over the years.

I'd be very keen to hear any recommendations.

I seem to recall one title being advertised on Facebook recently (or maybe even here?).  It was something like, 'The Lost City" or "The Secret City" or similar?  I've since tried to search for it - with no luck.

I have a complete set of vintage Tintin's - but that's as close as I've got to the European scene! :)

Smith

The Adventurer

Are you primarily looking for print? Comixology has a ton of Eurocomics avalible digitally these days, and I could recommend more then a few.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Krakajac

The Adventurer

Then I can only share what I have enjoyed, can't comment on actual availability...

District 14 (Humanoids)
Blacksad (Dark Horse/Europe Comics)
Ecko (Soleil)
Retroworld (Humanoids)
Valerian and Laureline (Cinebook/Europe Comics)
The Man who Shot Lucky Luke (Europe Comics)
The Incal (Humanoids)

Links take you to the ComiXology series store pages, where you can find individual book titles, title descriptions, and previews of each. Which should help you out.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Krakajac

Thanks very much for the links - much appreciated! That'll keep me busy. :)

Greg M.

For a bit of 70s French sci-fi weirdness, blessed with some of the best art you'll ever see, try Philipe Druillet's 'Lone Sloane' stories. 'Lone Sloane: Delirius' is one of my favourite things ever.

jacob g

Few random things from my shelf:

Universal War One and Universal War Two, one of the best modern french sci-fi.
Undertaker, beautifully drawn, nice but kind generic western.
Jeremiah, classic postapo, just remember to ignore Straczynski's tv series loosely based on comic.
Everything from David B, everything.
margaritas ante porcos

rogue69

If you like a darker more Gothic Story there's
SHA (Heavy Metal) or Requiem the Vampire knight (panini)

Or if you can read French there's "The Black Moon Chronicles"

All painted by the fantastic artist Olivier LeDroit

Smith

On the Italian side,you also have a lot of good stuff,but rarely anything gets translated to English,so...

Krakajac

Wow - many thanks for the responses.  They've all gone onto a list - which I will make my way through slowly. :)

Smith

Quote from: jacob g on 09 July, 2017, 10:49:53 AM
Few random things from my shelf:

Universal War One and Universal War Two, one of the best modern french sci-fi.
Undertaker, beautifully drawn, nice but kind generic western.
Jeremiah, classic postapo, just remember to ignore Straczynski's tv series loosely based on comic.
Everything from David B, everything.
Speaking of Herman,how are the Towers of Bois-Maury?

Third Estate Ned

For sublime art, try anything by Sergio Toppi. You can find a range of his books in English.

Colin YNWA

So bloomin' many. Have a look at any number of the Cinebook titles and see what tickles your fancy

http://www.cinebook.co.uk

Me I'd not look too far past Aldebaran and associated books, Long John Silver, Orbital... actually I could go on and on.

Probably not required but Asterix of course.

Finally we're what 10 posts in and no one has mentioned Corto Maltese an absolute classic which I'm so happy is getting a fresh airing in such wonderful collections.

Timothy