Main Menu

The Last Jedi - Forum Opinion

Started by Link Prime, 29 January, 2018, 04:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krakajac

I, Cosh

I'll sit on the fence with a 3/5. The good bits (mostly Luke) were really good but other parts were a bit of a slog.

If you want to compare it to other films I saw last year, it was better than Atomic Blonde but not as good as XXX3.
We never really die.

DrRocka

1/5 for me, I actually prefer the prequels, and they're bloody awful.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Pete Wells

4/5 I didn't like TFA as it was a little too unoriginal for me, so, I liked that TLJ dared to be a bit different and thought Luke was ace throughout. The end blew me away and stayed with me for days, sob!

I'm knocking one off (wait, what!?!) 'cos a) [spoiler]We've been speculating on Snoke's identity for two years now for nowt[/spoiler], b) [spoiler]ditto for Rey's parents, I really wanted her to be a descendent of Palpatine[/spoiler]. I understand why those decisions were made, but just don't like em!

Still, I've watched it 4 Times now and ruddy well enjoyed it! I must say, Star Wars 'fans' (I stress not SIP) are really, REALLY pissing me off. My Twitter and YouTube feed is full of overacting, entitled pricks telling me why Rian Johnson is a nob and why I have to hate this film. So bored of them now.

Tiplodocus

I make it a rule never to watch a YouTube video with a picture of an angry presenter as the screen grab. Or that is titled "What went wrong with...". Or " xxx fail!".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: radiator on 29 January, 2018, 06:17:45 PM
As a film I'd rate it a 2 out of 5, but I wouldn't say that it's 'worse than Episode I'.  ;)
Same here. So I'll give it a 2.5/5

Although my view might be seen as invalid as my favourite Star Wars movie, and I've seen them all since seeing the first one at the cinema in 1977, is Rogue One.  :D

SIP

Quote from: Pete Wells on 29 January, 2018, 11:41:54 PM

Still, I've watched it 4 Times now and ruddy well enjoyed it! I must say, Star Wars 'fans' (I stress not SIP) are really, REALLY pissing me off. My Twitter and YouTube feed is full of overacting, entitled pricks telling me why Rian Johnson is a nob and why I have to hate this film. So bored of them now.

Sadly, you're always going to get that kind of reaction from elements of a geek-community.

The discussions here have been really interesting and quite illuminating for me.
My feeling was that they totally misrepresented a key Star wars character, but clearly others here who have similarly lived with Star wars for 40 years don't feel the same way.

It's certainly something that's made me stop and think.....it hasn't as yet changed my opinion but, if nothing else, I am actually pleased that a proportion of the "fan" community is happy with the film and is really enjoying it.

I wish that they had steered clear of the original cast, but with their inclusion i ultimately was hoping for a series of upbeat, fun space adventure films with heroic heroes and evil villains, with the old guys having fun and making me smile. That's not the direction that they went, and the choice they made just kind of brought me down.

I don't mind downbeat.....I really loved Blade Runner 2049 (my favourite film of last year), but I guess I didn't want that sort of defeated vibe playing out in Star wars too.

Anyway, horses for courses, just wasn't my cup of tea.

Sorry for the diversion.......on with the scoring!

manwithnoname

I don't understand why people who express a dislike for something are then labelled "entitled"

It's lazy and meaningless labelling. What the fuck does it even mean? They're entitled to what? Like something? Or are they not entitled to have an opinion that differs to yours?

I do agree that extreme, splenetic reactions to a science-fiction film; poring for hours over plot holes and structure and crying about "betrayals" of characters is a bit silly, but then so are the equally in-depth retorts from rabid cheerleaders, who label any negative opinion as "entitled" or "man-children" or whatever.

They're both equally embarrassing examples of "mental", albeit at polar extremes.

I liked the film. It was fun. Yeah, bits of it were silly, and certain parts of it were rubbish, but I was entertained. It didn't ruin anything for me. I didn't feel entitled or otherwise.

It's a Star Wars film. It doesn't matter much really.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: manwithnoname on 30 January, 2018, 09:42:58 AM
I don't understand why people who express a dislike for something are then labelled "entitled"

It's not the disliking, it's the sentiment of "deserving" something better, ie: that they were entitled to something better. It's not tricky.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

manwithnoname

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 January, 2018, 09:51:35 AM
Quote from: manwithnoname on 30 January, 2018, 09:42:58 AM

It's not the disliking, it's the sentiment of "deserving" something better, ie: that they were entitled to something better. It's not tricky.

How do you discern between someone wanting something better, and someone thinking they deserved something better?

Or is it simply a way to diminish a group of people and their "wrong" opinions?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: manwithnoname on 30 January, 2018, 09:57:41 AM
How do you discern between someone wanting something better, and someone thinking they deserved something better?

Well, when they literally say "I deserved better" I assume that's what they meant.

manwithnoname

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 January, 2018, 09:58:53 AM
Quote from: manwithnoname on 30 January, 2018, 09:57:41 AM

Well, when they literally say "I deserved better" I assume that's what they meant.

Who's they? I didn't have time to read all the transcripts. Sounds like you saved everyone the bother.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: manwithnoname on 30 January, 2018, 10:03:49 AM
Who's they? I didn't have time to read all the transcripts. Sounds like you saved everyone the bother.

I was referring to something specific, rather than a blanket statement, and assumed you were too. If that wasn't the case, then please disregard my previous posts.

SIP

I effectively used the term "I deserved better" in one of my grumbles......but I didn't really intend it in that way, I was just trying to articulate that I was very disappointed in the direction that the film took and chose my wording poorly.

The film didn't go in the wrong direction for everyone, clearly, but it did from my own personal point of view. You can't please everyone though......and it pleased plenty of people here, so it must have done something right.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SIP on 30 January, 2018, 10:20:01 AM
I effectively used the term "I deserved better" in one of my grumbles......but I didn't really intend it in that way, I was just trying to articulate that I was very disappointed in the direction that the film took and chose my wording poorly.

Can't say fairer than that. My apologies, Simon.