Main Menu

The Fleetway Files.

Started by maryanddavid, 15 May, 2018, 09:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

It goes without saying after all my previous posts praising the quality of Hibernia books, but this has been ordered without hesitation.

Just for the record, do you guys (and gals, presumably) do requests?
Its just that someone really needs to bring out a 'Best of OINK!' collection....

Professor Bear

Ordered already, but thought I'd chip in and mention it to try and inject a sense of urgency to anyone sitting on the fence like I did with Hibernia's It's Ghastly and then found the bastarding things had sold out.  Rebellion may or may not have their own plans for a lot of this material, so you may grab it while you can.

maryanddavid

Yep Bear, it will be sold out soon enough I reckon, fastest selling issue yet.
Amstor is spot on with the postage, with size of the book, the price increase on postage and the fall in value of sterling to euro, it has hiked up the postage this round by about 50%, blame it on Brexit :lol:

Colin YNWA

Well its landed and while it will be a while until I'm able to say I read it there's a good reason for that. Its a monster. A bloody beautiful monster. Heavens knows how long it will take me to read through this, it took me all lunch to just flick through it!

It also looks great, a wide variety of content, but all nicely themed. I have to be honest if I compare the money I've spent on this to the money I could have spent on Comic Scene (if I hadn't picked it up for nowt at FCDB) and there really isn't much comparison. The Fleetway Files just looks the business and well worth the money I spent (not that much, especially when you consider postage. Can't wait to get stuck in.

maryanddavid

Thanks Colin, looking forward to reading what you think of the content when you have had a chance to lol through it.  The look is all down to Richard, he really pulled out all the stops on this one. 
Always listen to requests Wolly, the next collection will have a page or so from Oink.

Bad City Blue

Looking forward to reading this, I will most likely post a review as well
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Frank

It's a fantastic read and a great looking production. Barrie Tomlinson sounds like a real character; Alan Partridge, specifically:

The Amstor Computer

Glad it's going down well! David was very patient with my faffing with title page designs and layout tweaks, and I hope the design gels well with the content. I did rather enjoy getting the chance to do an Empire of the Sun pastiche with characters from the IPC humour comics... :-)

Barrie comes across as a thoroughly decent, slightly bonkers editor and someone who had a real knack for promotion. Earnest and quirky, very much like the characters and comics he had a hand in. I loved the details about the old Fleetway offices, with their luxurious offices, and the specifics about hand towels...

Frank

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 19 May, 2018, 10:31:26 PM
I loved the details about the old Fleetway offices, with their luxurious offices, and the specifics about hand towels...

Changed once a week!  Whether they needed it or not.

maryanddavid

Hey all, I hope you are enjoying the Fleetway Files!

I have been asked a few time about Digital copies, I am doing a pack of all four Comic Archives

For £10 you get 250+ pages of interviews and articles plus rarely seen artwork all in PDF Format.
To get the pack just send £10 by Paypal to doomlord@eircom.net Please mark all payments 'PDF' and include your email address. Just PM me here that payment has been sent and I will reply with the links to the PDF.
If its just 'The Fleetway Files' that's required, same instructions, but payment it £5.

'Informative and very entertaining, The Fleetway Files is the definitive guide to the most glorious chapter of British comics publishing.' -Keith Richardson

'Chock full of keen insights and witty anecdotes, these fab files are great news for every reader!' -Steve MacManus

Bolt-01

Frank

Reading through a few more of the excellent features, it's difficult to find an IPC/Fleetway executive who doesn't count the success of their Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles cash-in title as a personal triumph.

Success has many fathers, but failure is a bastard.

Dandontdare

I've only dipped in and out so far, but this book is a treasure - packed with good stuff!

maryanddavid

Glad you're enjoying it DD!

Bad City Blue

Been devouring this since Friday. Fantastic stuff!
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there