Main Menu

Eagle Awards 2012

Started by Jimmy Baker's Assistant, 03 January, 2012, 03:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljholden

Quote from: Emperor on 04 January, 2012, 03:52:11 PM
Quote from: bluemeanie on 04 January, 2012, 11:09:34 AM
Ah, I love the Eagle awards.
Checking the drop down options on the first day to see who has managed to put something relating to themselves in every category. Getting the "vote for me" tweets and facebook prompts every five minutes. Watching people pretend they dont care while casually dropping hints about their "nomination".

Tony Lee made a similar point - he had nominations stripped from him for doing it but now everyone is up to it:

www.tonylee.co.uk/index.php?option=com_wordpress&p=361&Itemid=1

In the end it raises the profile of the award, so it can't be a bad thing, I just wish the Best Newcomer awards were a little more... sensible as it could be a big deal for an up and coming young writer and artist but... well Paul Cornell won it last year, 20 years after he first started writing comics ;)

He doesn't seem to have mentioned in that blog post, how, BEFORE that he was seemingly so pissed off with the fact that 2000AD always won stuff -because they were the only magazine that ran a advert/nomination form in the mag- that he hosted an alternative piss take to the eagles on the same night in the hallway outside the venue, loudly hailing his chums as he gave them their own awards.

I have no problem with people championing themselves or their work (and good luck to Tony in everything he's eligible for) but just as winter doesn't feel like winter until you see the first robin, the eagles don't feel like the eagles until Tony has a good old moan :)

-pj

Emperor

Bump.

Quote from: pauljholden on 04 January, 2012, 08:56:05 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 04 January, 2012, 03:52:11 PM
Quote from: bluemeanie on 04 January, 2012, 11:09:34 AM
Ah, I love the Eagle awards.
Checking the drop down options on the first day to see who has managed to put something relating to themselves in every category. Getting the "vote for me" tweets and facebook prompts every five minutes. Watching people pretend they dont care while casually dropping hints about their "nomination".

Tony Lee made a similar point - he had nominations stripped from him for doing it but now everyone is up to it:

www.tonylee.co.uk/index.php?option=com_wordpress&p=361&Itemid=1

In the end it raises the profile of the award, so it can't be a bad thing, I just wish the Best Newcomer awards were a little more... sensible as it could be a big deal for an up and coming young writer and artist but... well Paul Cornell won it last year, 20 years after he first started writing comics ;)

He doesn't seem to have mentioned in that blog post, how, BEFORE that he was seemingly so pissed off with the fact that 2000AD always won stuff -because they were the only magazine that ran a advert/nomination form in the mag- that he hosted an alternative piss take to the eagles on the same night in the hallway outside the venue, loudly hailing his chums as he gave them their own awards.

I have no problem with people championing themselves or their work (and good luck to Tony in everything he's eligible for) but just as winter doesn't feel like winter until you see the first robin, the eagles don't feel like the eagles until Tony has a good old moan :)

And then he goes on to list all the possible entries you could vote for him on anyway. You have to give him credit for that - you can have your cake, eat it and not put any weight on. ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Proudhuff

well, that was fun  ;) funny how some folk just dont read the question or indeed the other names already on the form.
DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Proudhuff on 10 January, 2012, 12:29:17 PM
well, that was fun  ;) funny how some folk just dont read the question or indeed the other names already on the form.
I gave up once I saw certain people with about five instances in each bloody drop down. What a usability disaster. I do hope the Eagle Awards people are bright enough to tot up the output, rather than just shoving everything into a spreadsheet and not combining the likes of "D'Israeli", "disraeli" [sic], "Matt Brooker" and so on (to give but one example).

James Stacey

its not like "select distinct(name)" or "select soundex(name)" are such complex pieces of sql

TordelBack

I actually couldn't make it through that.  I mean, I'm sitting here posting nonsense to a comics discussion board in the middle of the day and I still didn't have time to complete their godawful form.

Judge MANSON

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 04 January, 2012, 12:13:44 PM
Who did you pick then, Logan? Be interetsed in seeing those choices.

I've yet to vote this year, so thanks for any nominations for FQ etal. To be honest- losing four times in a row saps the enthusiasm.

Hi Bolt-01!!

I have voted for you!!!
(Favourite Letterer: Bolt-01)

For the Roll of Honour, I have chosen Ezquerra, I hope that John will pardon me...
Respect the Law, Citizen! Rebel and you will pray Mercy to my gun!

Bolt-01

Fred? Is that you? I didn't know you were here! Bon sour, Mon ami; et merci Aussie pour la vote. (crikey, my francais is so bad)

Bat King

Grandville: Mon Amour was outstanding.

Got it at Thought Bubble, was impressed Bryan remembered seeing me sitting listening to his talk - before realising I was dressed in a cloak, wearing a military vest, S/D badge and a latex mask...

And Carlos should definately get the Roll of Honour.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Judge MANSON

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 28 January, 2012, 11:37:26 PM
Fred? Is that you? I didn't know you were here! Bon sour, Mon ami; et merci Aussie pour la vote. (crikey, my francais is so bad)

Yup, it's me!! I also have voted for "Favourite British Comicbook: Black and White: Futurequake"!!!
Do not worry about your French, my English is not so perfect: I am always lost in the verbs conjugations of the past times and I lack some true English vocabulary from the UK...

I think it is a problem of language programming during the cloning process. It is a real shame for a Judge... Grud!!

OK, I return to patrol in the streets of Mega-City One.I think that my Lawgiver will be very hot this night!! So many perps...

See you later, Citizen Bolt-01!!
Respect the Law, Citizen! Rebel and you will pray Mercy to my gun!

Emperor

Ends today, so if you haven't added your nominations the window is closing fast.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Carloss

Thanks guys for mention my name for the Roll of Honour, but I think is John who really deserve it. It's a disgrace he never won any eagle award, frankly I can't understand those judges... very odd!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Carloss on 07 February, 2012, 11:23:20 AM
Thanks guys for mention my name for the Roll of Honour, but I think is John who really deserve it. It's a disgrace he never won any eagle award, frankly I can't understand those judges... very odd!

and you seemed to get on so well...

DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Carloss on 07 February, 2012, 11:23:20 AM
He's never won? That's really quite astonishing. Mind you, Dredd as a whole is massively undervalued in the comics industry. It matured extremely rapidly compared to the likes of most Marvel characters, and despite ups and downs has provided decades of solid, engaging storytelling. Wagner has, of course, been responsible for most of the best bits. And then you add Strontium Dog (another under-rated—in the scheme of comics—series), History of Violence, Button Man... Yeah, I don't understand those judges either.

Carloss

And being as it is a british award, is even more odd...