Main Menu

50Hz vs 60Hz?

Started by Keef Monkey, 02 May, 2006, 08:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

"50hz is likely to cause epileptic seizures, while 60hz is not."

Ah ... being something of a console novice, this might explain the sudden and quite overwhelming feeling of travel-sickness I developed whilst playing Black for the first time and leaving it on the default 50Hz setting ...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Satanist

Doesn't the whole 60Hz better thing rely on a decent scart lead? I'm no expert but I'm sure if you're using what came out the box then its not going to get much better.

Personally I'm just happy to squeeze in a couple of hours of Resi 4 a week. Seriously it could be in black & white and I'd be happy.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Keef Monkey

Funnily enough it's actually Resi 4 that set me off on this, because it had that test thing at the start. I hadn't realised I could watch NTSC until then. Having trouble getting into the game though, keep going back to Rogue to be honest. I find the Resi 4 over the shoulder viewpoint a little odd. Will persevere though because I've heard ridiculously good things about it.

Satanist

I know what you mean about Resi 4. I've had it for over a year now and just started getting back into it. I'm about 8 hours in and it is well worth persevering with.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

philt

++Doesn't the whole 60Hz better thing rely on a decent scart lead?++

Not really. Most modern TV's will play back the 60hz 525 line NTSC quite happily. They can adjust automatically to the signal that the console produces - however as the signal is a psuedo PAL signal running at 60hz rather than 50hz older sets cannot cope and throw a wobbler

Of course the interesting thing is that although the frame rate is higher on a NTSC signal as you are playing it back on a PAL set designed to display a 625 line picture the NTSC image has to be adjusted to fit. The smoothness that many report is actually the softness that results when a TV stretches a 525 line picture to fit a 625 line set.

The only way you'll get the (debatable) benefits  of a 60hz is by investing in a proper mulit-standard TV which can cope with an pure NTSC signal. But you have to remember that the resolution of this image won't be as high as a PAL image

Max Kon

"50hz is likely to cause epileptic seizures, while 60hz is not."

Ah ... being something of a console novice, this might explain the sudden and quite overwhelming feeling of travel-sickness I developed whilst playing Black for the first time and leaving it on the default 50Hz setting ...

Cheers

Jim

yup, that's exactly why. i used to get really ill when i was on the computer too long, but once i'd changed it to 120hz it stopped. It's been 3 years and i've yet to get that feeling again from my computer.