Main Menu

Help me Hive Mind, you're my only hope...

Started by Bolt-01, 22 August, 2018, 09:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

"You made your bed. I'm not in it anymore"

A movie quote but from where and who? Probably genre movie because that's all I watch.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

I remembered. It's from TOMORROW NEVER DIES. I got it slightly wrong.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 11 June, 2020, 07:19:24 PM
I remembered. It's from TOMORROW NEVER DIES. I got it slightly wrong.

Now you say it, its obvious. But was it Teri Hatcher to Pierce or the other way round, that I can't remember?

Tiplodocus

It's Hatcher to Pierce. "If you're asking me to choose between you and Elliot... I made my bed. You're not in it anymore" ( ish)

TordelBack

So, The Valiant. After being a bit over/underwhelmed by the first issue,  I really enjoyed the wrap-up in the current Meg, and I'm going to pick up the Legacy issue shortly. I'm leaning toward the Dr Mesmer and Von Hoffman collections too - those two lads are hilarious.

However,  I have the nagging feeling that there's been more of these versions of some of the other characters somewhere, but Barney isn't helping. Was there a Death-Man strip, or a 'modern' Dr Sin? I know about the John Smith Dr Sin from a lifetime ago,  and the Thunderbolt origin in the Smash special,  but what else is out there?

Greg M.

Death-Man was in the Free Comic Book Day issue in 2016.

TordelBack

Ah, the one I don't have (I think)!  Cheers Greg, I'll go for a dig in the boxes of shame just in case..

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 June, 2020, 03:23:18 PM
or a 'modern' Dr Sin?

There's a Dr Sin story by Rob Williams & Luca Pizzari in the 2015 FCBD issue.

Funt Solo

Summarizing what's already been said:

Tharg's Terror Tales: The Death of Death-Man, FCBD 2016 - this has the writer as "Barry Island", which I presume is a pseudonym of Al Ewing. Art by Henry Flint.

Doctor Sin, 2000 AD Annual 1979. Barney says maybe it was written by Pat Mills, art by Horacio Lalia.
Doctor Sin: The Strange Case Of The Wyndham Demon, 2000 AD Action Special 1992. John Smith & John Burns.
Doctor Sin: Don't Call It A Comeback, FCBD 2015. Rob Williams & Luca Pizzari.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

Excellent, cheers Joe, and you're a star, Funt.   That 1979 Dr Sin is available in full on Barney,  and also this month's Meg floppy.  It's ace.

sheridan

Was Doctor Sin the character originally called Judge Dredd, before Mills leant that name to some other character?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Funt Solo on 27 June, 2020, 05:07:04 PM
Tharg's Terror Tales: The Death of Death-Man, FCBD 2016 - this has the writer as "Barry Island", which I presume is a pseudonym of Al Ewing. Art by Henry Flint.
Both Al and Rob Williams have denied this to my face!

There's also Death Man:The Gathering in the 2017 Scream/Misty special. That's credited to Henry Flint and "The Feek" which I thought at the time was that guy Martin Feekins but from what I hear now it looks like it's a direct prologue to The Vigilant.
We never really die.

sheridan

Quote from: I, Cosh on 29 June, 2020, 09:35:56 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 27 June, 2020, 05:07:04 PM
Both Al and Rob Williams have denied this to my face!

There's also Death Man:The Gathering in the 2017 Scream/Misty special. That's credited to Henry Flint and "The Feek" which I thought at the time was that guy Martin Feekins but from what I hear now it looks like it's a direct prologue to The Vigilant.

I don't have any insider information or anything - but try turning the name 'Feek' around and comparing against known 'Robo-'s...

Richard

QuoteWas Doctor Sin the character originally called Judge Dredd, before Mills leant that name to some other character?
No. "Judge Dread" was going to be about an undead English hanging judge. Never written, AFAIK.

Leigh S

Definteily written and for my money, Dr Sin is 100% Judge DreAd, (or would be if Pat Mills himself had confirmed it rather than sitting on the fence!)

Witness!

Judge Dread is a story confirmed to be drawn by Lalia.  The first 4 pages of the Dr Sin strip are by Lalia, then another artist comes in to finish off the story abruptly and to art bodge certain features on the earlier pages, talking of which:

The original Judge Dread tale opened with a chap being shown his brother's body in a mortuary, only to question "Where is my brother's head??" Dr Sin opens similarly, but it is the brothers hand that is missing - note though, that the art is bodged and the later artist has drawn the head on the corpse - there is no sign of a missing hand as they are still covered by the shroud and the guy is looking at where teh head is/should be.

The original JD story sees the guy meet up with Judge Dread, and they go off and disrupt a satanic ritual at Stonehenge/a Stone Circle.  This plays out exactly other than it not being Stonehenge - it's this point that Pat got hung up on when he was asked about the strip, as he is adamant that he scripted it to be Stonehenge (though whether that translated to a foreign artist?  Maybe didnnt get the reference or did not ahve the reference so fudged it?  Maybe art bodged to make it somewhere more generic)

The original JD story then has them visit a local lord and cliffhangers the end of part 1 when Judge Dread recognises the lord as a man who he had seen hang years previously.  Here same story plays out, but rather than JD saying he recognises the guy as a dead man, he gets all shook up about seeing him, but then in the final panel says something bland like "I sense he is a bit of a rum one" - this makes no sense of the dramatic way it is drawn as it if it a massive cliffhangery revelation.

The rest of the story is then by a different artist, calls the characters by different names and gerally just wraps it all up very abruptly.

If this ISNT Judge Dread, then I await a better explanation for Lalia drawing just 4 pages of a story that follows the story beats of the original Judge Dread to the letter, and why the other artist had to draw a head on that corpse!

"That's not Stonehenge" doesnt really cut it for me as enough weight against the rest of the evidence

Quote from: Richard on 30 June, 2020, 02:14:46 AM
QuoteWas Doctor Sin the character originally called Judge Dredd, before Mills leant that name to some other character?
No. "Judge Dread" was going to be about an undead English hanging judge. Never written, AFAIK.