Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomwe

Quote from: rs_jr on 29 November, 2019, 12:16:24 AM
has an extension been announced ?
was the dredd extension announced closer to the end?
Dredd extension was circa #65, Transformers extension #67. So come Feb/March for this one...?

moogie101

Been holding off buying a few books just in case of them turning up in a possible extension, but the sale price for Luke Kirby & Zenith 1-4 were just too damn appealing.

sintec

Quote from: moogie101 on 29 November, 2019, 01:50:55 PM
Been holding off buying a few books just in case of them turning up in a possible extension, but the sale price for Luke Kirby & Zenith 1-4 were just too damn appealing.

Yeah that's too good to resist and from past discussions here it seems most people think Zenith is unlikely to appear in any extension anyway.

Those 2 Dan Dare volumes were really tempting too - the art looks great and again I can't see it appearing in the Hachette vols.  I'll probably kick myself down the road but there's an impending house move on the horizon and my reading list is already fairly epic so I'm going to be a good boy.

IndigoPrime

Dan Dare is unlikely to appear in the Hachette run, due to the additional licensing bullshit that would be required. Zenith... hard to say. It'd certainly fit nicely into a couple of Hachette HCs, but the larger Rebellion volumes are lovely.

My take on these is that you're very, very unlikely to ever see the Dare books at that price again. And even the Zenith ones are only ever that low second-hand on eBay. Er, not that I'm suggesting you be a bad boy or anything.

(Actually, that is exactly what I'm suggesting.)

sintec

Darn you IndigoPrime - have succumbed to the peer pressure and a 2nd order has been placed. Regretted missing Flesh in the last sale and that really is an amazing price for that much comic. Have dropped the store an email to see if the postage from the 2 orders can be combined.

Here's hoping we get an extension which includes some Flesh but not Zenith, although I'm sure I can sell these copies for something close to what I just paid if it does get included.

Dark Jimbo

Ohmygod ohmygod OHMYGOD!!!!!

Confirmed on Facebook - collection has been extended to 110 issues...!

Best Chrimbo present EVA!
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

That's... a curious number. Dear Tharg, who is curating this: PLEASE now find room for Firekind. I know you said in the podcast that it was an awkward fit, but you've mashed together other series to create a 200pp volume. And Firekind + Leatherjack would fit very, very nicely. Pretty please and a cherry on top.

Here is the relevant post, by the way. It'll be interesting to see how this goes. There's no obvious reason (bar Rebellion licensing/subscriptions retention) why this series couldn't do a Marvel. There's plenty of content knocking around. But 30 books gives them a ton of scope to:

- Expand beyond the usual suspects (since Sláine and Strontium Dog will basically be done)
- Add a few modern Dredd volumes
- Delve into lesser-known titles that are OOP from Rebellion or that have never seen collections (or collections beyond paperbacks/Meg floppies)
- Get some key series to logical breakpoints (like Kingdom)

Interesting stuff.

Dark Jimbo

I don't really know how to link to specific FB posts, but this is the thread - https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=2441753289486322&set=a.1849714002023590

When newsagents started to struggle to get it in and books were disappearing from the Hachette site the moment they'd been released, I honestly thought it was the death knell of the series and that an extension was never going to happen - so I'm really chuffed!
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Once these things get past a certain point, it's all about subscribers and retention. The Marvel series hasn't been in local stores for years (and I've also not seen it in big London WHSmith outlets), but it's still going on, presumably until the heat death of the universe.

Dark Jimbo

I think it's fair to say an extra 30 books is also more than any of us expected - here's hoping for a Machine Law-Guatemala volume!
@jamesfeistdraws

Tomwe

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 02 December, 2019, 11:10:35 AM
I think it's fair to say an extra 30 books is also more than any of us expected - here's hoping for a Machine Law-Guatemala volume!
WHOOP! Well done for spotting that Dark Jimbo! Amazing news.
Oh, and if you click on the time/date the FB post was made, that's the link to the specific post.
https://www.facebook.com/2000ADCollection/posts/2441753582819626?comment_id=2449563795371938&reply_comment_id=2451534705174847
Should we start asking Boo Cook if he's doing a spine extension!?

sintec

This is awesome news - although it does make my Zenith purchase in the BF sale look at risk of being a double dip. Ah well such is life.

My wishlist:
1 Absalom
1 Kingdom
1 Stickleback
1-2 ABC Warriors (Return To *)
1 Flesh
2 V.Cs
1-2 Dominion / Fall Of Deadworld
1 Jaegir
1 Lobster Random
2 Indigo Prime
1 Thistlebone (this is probably wishful thinking as I suspect there's not enough)
2 Brink
4 Red Seas
2 Grey Area
2 Defoe
2 John Smith volumes (Cradlegrave, Leatherjack, Firekind, Revere)

That'd leave room for another 3 Dredd books.  1 following on from the end of the Trifecta volume in the Mega Collection would be good (Enceladus - Small House?) and a volume with Machine Law and Gautemala would also be lovely.  Not sure about the thrid one.

IndigoPrime

I wouldn't worry about the Zenith books – you'd easily enough be able to sell them on eBay for at least as much as they cost in that sale.

sintec

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 December, 2019, 11:41:15 AM
I wouldn't worry about the Zenith books – you'd easily enough be able to sell them on eBay for at least as much as they cost in that sale.

Yeah that was pretty much my justification at the time.

And I think the missing vol from my 30 above is a final Strontium Dog volume as I think there's about a book worth of stuff we're not getting in the initial 80.

Dark Jimbo

It's amazing how quickly 30 books is gone, as soon as you start portioning out the content!
@jamesfeistdraws