Main Menu

Non 2000ad artwork that you own ....

Started by Fatboydale, 20 January, 2013, 07:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sauchie on 23 February, 2013, 07:00:03 PM
That McMahon spent one of the most productive and inspired periods of his career producing work of that quality for an undiscriminating audience who still shat their pants...

Um.... I was an STC reader, thanks very much, and so were plenty of the younger boarders here (Crazyfox and Shieldipez for two).  I didn't 'shit my pants' and I highly resent your insulting contention that I couldn't be as discerning about what comic art I liked at that age as you lot were reading the likes of O'Neill, McMahon and McCarthy in 70s/80s 2000AD.

STC was a great 'gateway' comic the likes of which doesn't currently exist that bridged the gap between the strictly kiddie-fodder stuff and the likes of 2000AD. In fact I attribute STC as the reason for my being here today, as I recognised some of my favourite STC creator names in 2000AD and thought I probably couldn't go wrong making the leap to Tharg's wares. We weren't all lucky enough to read the likes of Sky Chariots first time around and the Sonic stuff happens to be how some of us were first introduced to McMahon - I don't see that it makes our lifelong appreciation of such a talented artist any less fucking valid.
@jamesfeistdraws

Satanist

Give it another few years and some of us here will be shitting our pants all over again.  :lol:

Proudhuff  :(
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

james newell

Lobo issue 2 Page 19

Lobo is not in this page, but i love the look of the bikers

Fatboydale

Since this could be my last post  :-X , no fun is allowed on here anymore and was given a warning by Mike Molcher over my half naked 2000ad character Rogue trooper question ( which was kindly deleted for no real reason )  ....so lets make it a big one .

hippynumber1

I was never a fan of Sonic and was too old for StC but I have to say that most of those are amazing!

james newell

Quote from: Fatboydale on 22 March, 2013, 02:24:54 PM
Since this could be my last post  :-X ,

Ahh! don't go Dale your a treasure! I mean that!

Link Prime

That Lobo is great James.
Man, I'd love a Biz page...

CrazyFoxMachine

Frank

You're an intelligent and perceptive fella, Jimbo;  I'm glad such fantastic McMahon work found an appreciative audience and that it led you here. I first read Sky Chariots around the same time you were digging STC.

WhizzBang

Those Sonic pictures were a bit of a reminder of how he used to be a fairly likeable looking little fellow, before Sega decided to Pepsi-Max him and make him 'street' (geeetar rock, hip hop poses, extreme sports rubbish, etc).

Dark Jimbo

Cheers Sauchie, glad you didn't take my comment to heart - you must have struck a nerve there! Think I was just feeling generally grumpy about the whole stupid Titgate fiasco and looking to vent. Suffice to say that McMahon's talents were by no means being wasted at that time.
@jamesfeistdraws

CrazyFoxMachine

Oh I totally missed that - yeah I was a huge fan of STC before even reading Marvel let alone 2000ad - Nigel Dobbyn was uploading some of his Knuckles pages on DevArt ... gave me goosebumps.

AND GOOSEBUMPS IS ANOTHER MATTER ENTIRELY said the nineties kid.

Spikes

Im aware, of course, that Mick produced art for STC - but it was something id totally missed at the time. But those cover's are great, arent they.

Maybe a daft question, but are ALL those cover's by Mick?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Judge Jack on 23 March, 2013, 12:00:41 PM

All by Mick, but the latter ones are coloured by a certain John 'Nikolai Dante' Burns, hence the different 'look'. Burns was the main colourist on STC, like our own Chris Blythe, on any occasions that artists didn't colour their work themselves.
@jamesfeistdraws

Link Prime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 23 March, 2013, 01:21:00 PM
Quote from: Judge Jack on 23 March, 2013, 12:00:41 PM

All by Mick, but the latter ones are coloured by a certain John 'Nikolai Dante' Burns, hence the different 'look'. Burns was the main colourist on STC, like our own Chris Blythe, on any occasions that artists didn't colour their work themselves.

I think the John Burns colourist is a different chap than the John Burns Dante artist, DJ.
I was querying this on a recent Rogue page Dale had up for auction.
They're possibly related though!