Main Menu

logic takes the long walk!

Started by Leigh S, 27 March, 2002, 11:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Is it just me or does this weeks Sin/Dex make NO sense at all.  Spoilers ahoy......

If Dexter was Deface all along, what the hell was he doing in last weeks prog drawing attention to the fact that he was back in town!  And when he has the chance to kill the incapacitated Sinister he bottles it completely and ties him up - a bullet in the head would have been the serving of the day surely?  And surely knowing that he himself was Deface would mean that he knew that one of the Sinisters was Dexter (or some other imposter) instantly - so why go to the landfill knowing that the other guy knew that the tied up sin was real and therefore the Dexter must be fake!!!  Doesn't anybody read these stories before they're printed to make sure they actually make sense!?

While we are on the subject of logic, Telguuth hit an all time low this week.  The sea hag promises no harm will come to him, then later says she promised not to eat him....  lazy, lazy, lazy - again, how did this get by the editor?  On top of that, the art is by some distance the worst I have ever seen in 2000AD - even worse that Siku's efforts!

On the plus side, this weeks Dredd is a brilliant little one-off - more like this please!

Rambo

Hey! I liked the art on that Telguth tale!

Toshimo

i Thought the sin dex story was nail biting at the end of the forst prog when finn suprised us all and attacked dex and you were left wiyth a serious cliffhanger but now at the end it is all rather muddled and confusing. They should have made the story longer or included the whole gang at the poker game in the who dun it scenario rather thatn the two main guys. but overall it wwas fairly original and was better than some other stories sin and dex have been shamefully placed in. Finaly i loved the art in the tales of telguth. id love to see slaine done by that artist in that style it would be cool.

Ps I want slaine!!! bring him back quick he the coolest character in the comic. with artist greg staples

Jenny-Mek

I did not understand one page of the sin/dex story, and what's the point of building up other characters if you're not even going to use them?
I didn't see anything wrong with the Tales of Telguuth art, exept that it looked as if it was drawn on rice paper. IMO, that was one of the better Tales, with no total logic disconnects... Why shouldn't the sea hag change her mind!

Toshimo

Welll thay could have at leat extended it out drawing in more people into the plot in a funny sin and dex way like the old days of demi octavo when sin and dex were at their greatest.but just abruptly ending the story was a downer to say the least

Jenny-Mek

I neeeever read any of those, but I do believe that having a story in which two or more people look and act identical is a terribly bad idea, especialy if you are trying to confuse everyone, and not using thought bubbles. Also, if you want another logic hole, there is no way those little sunglasses would have covered Finny's eyes. But that's more of an art complaint.
Jenny-Mek.

Leigh S

No problem with the sea hag changing her mind, if that's what the strip says.  However, on the last page she says that she promised not to eat the guy but kills him in another way - a supposed twist.  However, since the bargain struck was not to harm him in any way, it doesn't actually work!

I'm amazed that two people like this art!  What do you like about it - the lack of ability to draw bodies, faces or backgrounds?  The fact that even when the barbarian reveals in frame 10 that he is carrying the wizards body its still immensely difficult to see this in any of the preceding frames (in fact if he didnt tell you, it would be fairly difficult to make out in frame 10!)?  The total lack of depth or perspective? the muddy colours? the big blank spaces caused by dodgy composition? or did you just like the gore?

The art reminds me of a 11 year olds attempts to copy the artist who did the lovely illos on the first Fighting Fantasy book (though to see a strip by him - that would be something!)

Jenny-Mek

Watcher, you just aren't looking at it properly!
Jenny-Mek
^~.o^

Leigh S

Toshimo

well come onits the tale of telguth. the stories ae meant to be weird and wonderful, so just like the script it should have wierd scraggy artwork to go with it. Altough it did seem like a rushed job the art wasnt as bad as you make it out to be at all. Lets just say there has been worse...

Wake

Page 3 "Why, promise no harm to me..."
Page 5 "We promised not to eat you"

Although I didn't actually hate the artwork, it just didn't feel like 2000AD.

I read the story thinking, wouldn't it be good it 2000AD had a decent fantasy strip. Telguuth could have been it, but this was even worse than usual.

I think I gave it 2/10 on the Thrillometer.

Wake

Wake

It didn't make sense to me either. Shame...I was looking forward to something a little better after the first episode.

Wake

Toshimo

There has been some good tales in the past however despite recent lacklustre scripts. Slaine rocks and he is the definitive fantasy hero in 2000ad. Any objections?.......

Leigh S

Slaine is indeed a top thrill, but what to do with him?  The last story pretty much trashed all earlier stories, esp when Pat totally changed the concept of the warp spasm - beasty ancestors indeed!  The story where Slaine is trapped in his warped state was the last great Slaine tale IMO

The Amstor Computer

>>>Slaine is indeed a top thrill, but what to do with him?<<<

IMO, there are two options:

a) Leave him to join the goddess & enjoy some well-earned rest...

b) Go the Rogue Trooper route & tell us about the stories that Ukko missed out. It gives you the option of returning Slaine to pretty much any point in his history, and with care, not fucking up continuity.

Otherwise, I'm afraid I can't see a future for the character.