Main Menu

Durham Red: The Bitch

Started by Dash Decent, 12 April, 2014, 12:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Wasn't Bitch a Strontium Dog tale? Is this a reprint of that or a collection of Durham Red stuff?
Lock up your spoons!

Dash Decent

Simon & Schusters webpage says:

HER BITE IS MUCH WORSE THAN HER BARK!

In the far future Strontium-90 fallout has created a race of mutants, outcasts from society, despised by the 'norms' and given only the dirtiest job – bounty hunting. Johnny Alpha is one such mutant, working for the Search/Destroy Agency, hunting down the criminals for the Galactic Crime Commission.

When former US president Ronald Reagan is taken prisoner by a group of alien freedom fighters, Johnny reluctantly teams up with the bloodsucking femme fatale, Durham Red, to get him back. With ten million creds on the line, this job will be more difficult than most and Johnny Alpha will have to keep his x-ray eyes peeled on friend and enemy alike if he is to complete the job in one piece!

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

IndigoPrime

So that's the 128-page tale from Progs 505–529, already collected in the UK in search/destroy #4. Curious, but then I imagine the Ronald Reagan aspect will be good for US PR.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 April, 2014, 06:24:44 PM
So that's the 128-page tale from Progs 505–529, already collected in the UK in search/destroy #4. Curious, but then I imagine the Ronald Reagan aspect will be good for US PR.

Yeah, s'what I was gonna say.
Lock up your spoons!

Dash Decent

I really like the colours they've used on this, but the the title spoils it a bit - it looks like it's been written with correction fluid.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

O Lucky Stevie!

Now that looks the business.

If Sexy Exquerra lady + former President in major supporting role isn't the right equation to break Wagner & Carlos's greatest creation on that side of the pond then let the missiles fly & God can sort 'em out.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

This is an awesome story, but I hate that it's being presented as a Durham Red strip and not Strontium Dog.

The idea that Durham might be a better fit for US audiences than Johnny Alpha is going to die pretty quickly, especially as this bears little resemblance to her genuine solo appearances anyway.

TordelBack

I've never really liked Bitch - I think it was one too many Time Job stories for Johnny and Wulf, and the Reagan parody is just that bit too crude to be funny: they appear to have been transplanted into an episode of Spitting Image rather than the past.  Given Reagan's eventual decade-long battle with Alzheimer's, I think the humour struggles even more nowadays.  Ezquerra's Red is great of course, but as noted, doesn't bear much relation to the character's subsequent much longer career.

Still, worth a shot!

TordelBack

Wulf's not in it, is he?   :-[

Silly Tordelback. 

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 April, 2014, 11:46:48 AM
the Reagan parody is just that bit too crude to be funny

On re-reading Bitch a couple of years back, I thought the humour stood up. The scene where Johnny, Durham and Reagan are all in the shower together is so eye-wateringly mad, it's hilarious.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 14 April, 2014, 12:39:15 PM
On re-reading Bitch a couple of years back, I thought the humour stood up. The scene where Johnny, Durham and Reagan are all in the shower together is so eye-wateringly mad, it's hilarious.

That is certainly the highlight!

Skullmo

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 14 April, 2014, 12:39:15 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 14 April, 2014, 11:46:48 AM
the Reagan parody is just that bit too crude to be funny

Agreed, I read it again arfet 15 years this year and it was excellent.

As to Red's later  (non Wagner/Grant) career I am not going there.
It's a joke. I was joking.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dash Decent on 13 April, 2014, 04:08:39 AM
I really like the colours they've used on this, but the the title spoils it a bit - it looks like it's been written with correction fluid.

A pub owner said exactly the same thing today of the chalkboard I'd just spent hours painting for him. I have to do it again  :(
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 14 April, 2014, 05:53:08 AM
Now that looks the business.

If Sexy Exquerra lady + former President in major supporting role isn't the right equation to break Wagner & Carlos's greatest creation on that side of the pond then let the missiles fly & God can sort 'em out.
I appreciate apocalyptic humor as much as the next guy, but I just never see a country get more flack on this global internet thingy than America on the 2000AD forum. Government is one thing, our citizens are going to be nuked if an 80s reprint doesn't sell?  :P