Main Menu

Meg 409 - The Death of Dominion?

Started by Freddychopper, 15 June, 2019, 04:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Percival

Frank

Quote from: Nick Percival on 19 June, 2019, 01:14:25 PM
Quote from: Doc X on 19 June, 2019, 01:14:25 PM
This is the third or fourth time they've been left - literally - hanging about.

Don't know if it's that many times. At the end of Dominion, Death, Fire & Mortis were still on the planet having killed nearly all the inhabitants, which led directly into the start of The Torture Garden. The end of Torture Garden (yes, involves some space floating!), does set up the next epic, however...

I think the Doc's also referring to the end of Dark Justice and Anderson's debut solo adventure, when Cliff Robinson and TB Grover cast 2many4Js into the endless limbo between dimensions 'forever', which turned out to be an overly optimistic assessment of the situation.

It's just a symptom of the existential threat posed by the nature of the characters; creators have to find some reason why they don't just come back five minutes later and start killing everyone all over again.

broodblik

@ Nick Percival, I found your depiction of the Dark Judges excellent. Hopefully we can see you work return soon in the Meg  :thumbsup:
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

A very good Meg this month, covered with a great wrap-around cover

Dredd – Excellent start to a new Dredd story. I must admit that when I first saw Lynch art, I did not like it but his style has won me over.

Lawless – Another excellent story coming to an end (but it will be back). The whole story worked for me and I like the way that Abnett used the concept of "time-travel" where Lawson did not go to the future but rather experience a choice she could make.

Diamond Dogs – It is to early to judge but the story has a good start and looks interesting.

The Returners – I enjoyed the first series so hopefully this one will life up to the standard that was set. I do like the art on this one as well.

Dark Judges – This was an excellent series with awesome art from Pervical. As we all know you can never keep the Dark Ones at bay. 
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Frank on 19 June, 2019, 01:34:03 PM

Don't know if it's that many times. At the end of Dominion, Death, Fire & Mortis were still on the planet having killed nearly all the inhabitants, which led directly into the start of The Torture Garden. The end of Torture Garden (yes, involves some space floating!), does set up the next epic, however...

I think the Doc's also referring to the end of Dark Justice and Anderson's debut solo adventure, when Cliff Robinson and TB Grover cast 2many4Js into the endless limbo between dimensions 'forever', which turned out to be an overly optimistic assessment of the situation.

It's just a symptom of the existential threat posed by the nature of the characters; creators have to find some reason why they don't just come back five minutes later and start killing everyone all over again.

Yup:

Cast into space at the end of the Anderson one (before Necropolis)

Then Death was cast into hell

Then cast into space

Then cast into space again.

The art was tops though, Nick!
Lock up your spoons!

Nick Percival

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 19 June, 2019, 04:44:16 PM
Quote from: Frank on 19 June, 2019, 01:34:03 PM

Yup:

Cast into space at the end of the Anderson one (before Necropolis)

Then Death was cast into hell

Then cast into space

Then cast into space again.

The art was tops though, Nick!
Ha! It's OK - not fishing for compliments - just showing up my lack of Dark Judges story knowledge! Thanks for the kind words and for folks that enjoyed the series (can't please everyone, I know) - Back on Dredd in the Prog for bit and then, something ssssinisster....

Richard

QuoteBack on Dredd in the Prog for bit

Excellent news!

Geoff

Like the Dredd in this month's Meg!
Dredd's on a mission and the story seems like it may even involve Dredd in an actively successful role.  He's not (yet) been out-smarted or beaten up and we've seen Justice 4 (I think for the first time).

Lawless is always a treat.  The middle two stories, ho-hum...

Glad to see the back of the dark judges, I wish they really would be killed off but I doubt it. Hope to see Percival's art back soon though.

Colin YNWA

Good Meg, just not the great Meg I was hoping for. To start off with though the two endings landed brilliantly.

I thought Lawless was pitch perfect. After the BIG events of the last couple of stories the switch in tone set up here is glorious and just what the strip might need. Of course Lawson haunted by here reflection suggestions all is not well, but the prospect of fresh stories to come is just brilliantly teased. One of my favourite thrills not just of recent years but ever and it just doesn't seem to let up on the quality.

Torture Garden
has lost some of its edge from the early episodes. Mainly do to the Dark Judges being a look too up close and personal and I enjoyed it more when they were monster in the shadows. That said I thought this ending was great. well hard Judge Ogrons bizarre stand off aside. Casting them into space is about all you can do with the Dark Judges these days and while I wonder if they can sustain their potency in future story this (and Deadworld) have got me engaged with these characters in a way I haven't for years.

The rest is a little disappointing, which isn't to say bad, just not as good as the line-up made it look. Thought Diamond Dogs sounded like it had real potential but it felt a flat and I'm not bought in yet. Still early days and Warren Pleece boys any thrill.

Same with the new Dredd I mean that lineup have been doing great work of late. This story was just so set up it was untrue. It didn't try to disguise it and as such again felt flat and was weighty. Still we're past that now and so we'll see how it develops.

I really enjoyed the first Returners story. This one however hmmm it read like a completely different strip. Our reluctant protagonists forced against their will to serve on a mission. Bit cliche if I'm honest. Still again early days and the fact I enjoyed so much about the first series means I have high hopes this will get past this.

Decent text pieces and Mind Wars was better in my head then in reality alas.

While this wasn't the Meg I was looking for the three new strips still have plenty of potential to give me new hope.

Jim_Campbell

I enjoyed this month's Meg a great deal, but I have to say that if Mike White did draw that episode of Mind Wars that's credited to him, it's a genius-level imitation of Redondo's style. My suspicion is that it's maybe an art assist of some kind on his part, and a mistake in the original credits...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

metcalfecarr

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 June, 2019, 10:11:40 AM
I enjoyed this month's Meg a great deal, but I have to say that if Mike White did draw that episode of Mind Wars that's credited to him, it's a genius-level imitation of Redondo's style. My suspicion is that it's maybe an art assist of some kind on his part, and a mistake in the original credits...

My thoughts exactly
Dave Metcalfe-Carr

Leigh S

Thirded - at least it gave me an excuse to pore over that beautiful Redondo art looking for tell tale signs - if it WAS an art assist, it was pretty seamless - the Gibson pages stand out a mile to me, and Gibson's tyle isnt a hundred miles off Redondo's - certainly closer than Whites is to Redondo I would say - Did Mike White have art in that issue elsewhere?

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Aye, maybe, but that wouldn't make White's contribution Redondont...

...I'll see meself out
You may quote me on that.

Lobo Baggins

They're maybe the credits for Alan Hebden's other story in Star Lord, Holocaust. Its last two episodes go entirely uncredited as it's all got a bit confusing and jumbled over there - the first two pages are in colour and by someone else, but Mike White seems to be doing at least part of it (I get the distinct impression that at least the last two epsiodes of Holocaust are several episodes that have been jammed together in order to end the story quickly).

Incidentally, the conclusion to Mind Wars is in the 1981 Star Lord Annual.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

broodblik

Just finished the second part of Mind Wars, the story itself is quite generic but still enjoyable. The highlight is the art of Redondo.