Main Menu

The Complete Zenith

Started by James Stacey, 29 May, 2013, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Raymond Revue on 12 June, 2013, 09:29:02 AM
Quote from: Trout on 12 June, 2013, 03:24:02 AM
There are some terribly heartbreaking tales of woe on this thread. Oh, wait, I just remembered: it's only a fucking book!

I agree; producing a book everyone could afford would be communism. Since we're being treated to everyone's best impressions of Little Nell and Oliver Twist anyway,  we should all club together to buy one of the wretched tomes and give it away to whoever treats this thread to the tale of tears which most palpitates the gland which produces the milk of human kindness. The only question would be what to call our contest ...

Hilarious, but you'll note my point was I CAN afford the damn book.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 12 June, 2013, 08:35:24 AM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 11 June, 2013, 07:45:00 PMAnd I'll, maybe, go one better.

I'd call it one worse, at least financially speaking. I admire the sacrifice you are making for your son, however.

Cheers.

Max Headroom

Just wanted to ask anyone who is familiar with the story: is it any good? And is it worth one hundred pounds? I'm tempted to try and get my order in come July 1st, but just can't decide...

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Max Headroom on 16 June, 2013, 06:30:05 PM
Just wanted to ask anyone who is familiar with the story: is it any good? And is it worth one hundred pounds? I'm tempted to try and get my order in come July 1st, but just can't decide...

Yes it is very good.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Max Headroom on 16 June, 2013, 06:30:05 PM
Is it any good? I'd say it's the second best story 2000AD's ever printed.

Is it worth the money? Hard to say. It seems like it's going to be a pretty nice volume but, given that you could probably pick up all the original Progs on eBay for £10-£20, it comes down to whether you think the value is in the package or the content.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 17 June, 2013, 02:19:15 PM

Is it any good? I'd say it's the second best story 2000AD's ever printed.

Which begs the potentially derailing question which is the best?

IndigoPrime

I, Cosh

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 June, 2013, 05:20:37 PM
Dash Decent, obv.
Pfft. Bonjo from Beyond the Stars I think you'll find.

I was actually thinking of Firekind, although I probably prefer Dante as a whole too.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 17 June, 2013, 02:19:15 PM
Is it any good? I'd say it's the second best story 2000AD's ever printed. Is it worth the money? Hard to say. It seems like it's going to be a pretty nice volume but, given that you could probably pick up all the original Progs on eBay for £10-£20, it comes down to whether you think the value is in the package or the content.

That seems like a good summary of the situation.

Recrewt

I am sure that Rebellion will put the necessary into this partciular release to justify the price but to me - no, its not worth it - even if it was the best story 2000ad ever printed. 

Rebellion have done fantastic work of late with the case files and such and it really does seem like we have never had it so good with access to older material.  But, comics are created to be read - pure and simple -  and ignoring the ownership debate that surrounds this, it will be an absolute shame if this is all we get for Zenith.  Something like this is fine for those already familiar with the story and collectors but is your average 16 year old going to drop a ton to have this? 

In an ideal world we would have a paperback version that probably comes in at about 20 - 25 quid tops.  It would be nice to see a time where Zenith is as accessible as something like Watchmen - just because something is good, doesn't mean it should be restricted!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Recrewt on 18 June, 2013, 02:34:09 PM
In an ideal world we would have a paperback version that probably comes in at about 20 - 25 quid tops.  It would be nice to see a time where Zenith is as accessible as something like Watchmen - just because something is good, doesn't mean it should be restricted!

If it can happen I'm sure it will and if it doesn't it won't be because Rebellion don't want it so.

TordelBack

Aye, if Rebellion's history has shown us anything, it's that they will publish the popular stuff in as many sizes, formats and editions as Betelgeusianly possible.  How many copies of Judge Death Lives does the average squaxx own these days anyway?

IndigoPrime

Bit harsh. Maybe I'm missing some, but I recall (in terms of Rebellion-originated UK editions):

- Dredd vs Death (part of the DC tie-up, 2005)
- Dredd Case Files 3 (2006)
- The Dark Judges b-format book (2012)

Three books in eight years, one of which was in part driven by what DC wanted to publish, one of which is part of a series readers had been clamouring for since the 1980s, and one of which is a pocket book designed to expand Dredd's audience.

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 18 June, 2013, 04:09:25 PM
Bit harsh.

I wasn't being harsh, I was singing their praises!  It's a good thing!  Bolland for everyone, on any budget! 

Oh internet, wherefore is thy I'm-not-being-sarcastic smiley?

TordelBack

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 June, 2013, 04:14:13 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 18 June, 2013, 04:09:25 PM
Bit harsh.

Against a backdrop of numerous earlier reprints, but I wasn't being harsh, I was singing their praises!  It's a good thing!  Bolland for everyone, on any budget! 

Oh internet, wherefore is thy I'm-not-being-sarcastic smiley?