Main Menu

The Complete Zenith

Started by James Stacey, 29 May, 2013, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 19 October, 2013, 06:28:01 PM
I feel sorry for people forced to buy this collection from these scumbag ebayers.

Would serve the speculators right if Rebellion chased up the book numbers and banned anyone who sold Zenith "new and sealed" from ordering any special editions ever again.

Yes, and they could also change the law on property ownership.

And the original builders of any houses that were sold could chase down the owners and make them give the money to cat home.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Richmond Clements

I feel sorry for people forced to buy this collection from these scumbag ebayers.

Well, if anyone was being 'forced' to buy it, you may have a point...

JOE SOAP

It takes two to tango; the only reason 'scumbag ebayers' exist is because there are other ebayers, freely, handing over their money. It's about as much use as blaming Rebellion for not printing enough copies.

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 19 October, 2013, 06:28:01 PMWould serve the speculators right if Rebellion chased up the book numbers and banned anyone who sold Zenith "new and sealed" from ordering any special editions ever again.

Rebellion like to have people to sell books to so a policy of banning them would be bad for business.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 October, 2013, 08:23:22 PM
It takes two to tango; the only reason 'scumbag ebayers' exist is because there are other ebayers, freely, handing over their money. It's about as much use as blaming Rebellion for not printing enough copies.

I am not arguing with the law of supply and demand, simply expressing distaste for speculators buying when not actually interested in the book. I stand by that. Those people are scumbags.

Obviously Rebellion created this market by restricting the print run, but I totally understand why they did that and believe they deserve great credit for publishing at all.

QuoteRebellion like to have people to sell books to so a policy of banning them would be bad for business.

The policy of one per household also restricted sales, but was introduced for reasons of fairness.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 19 October, 2013, 07:34:17 PM

I remember you've banged that drum already, when people bitched about the original price tag.

However, I don't agree with you. I think Zenith is too good to be restricted to a handful of readers, and in particular that this amazing edition should be enjoyed by 1000 genuine comic fans, not treated like a tradable commodity by opportunist sad acts who think they're Gordon Gekko.

sheldipez

People should just wait for the inevitable paperback versions, the hardback got out there with no issues so just a matter of time of waiting a little longer for the el cheapo versions.

opaque

Depends what people actually want.
I'm sure there are some people that would want the hardback Zenith even if there was a complete softback version.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 19 October, 2013, 08:59:00 PMI am not arguing with the law of supply and demand, simply expressing distaste for speculators buying when not actually interested in the book. I stand by that. Those people are scumbags.

I've no problem with your opinion but going by your thinking on this, my point was would it not also make those who buy it on ebay 'scumbags' since they're feeding the seller and this type of market? I don't think it follows that you can blame one and not the other.

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 19 October, 2013, 08:59:00 PM
The policy of one per household also restricted sales, but was introduced for reasons of fairness.

And I believe most abide by it and the few who capitalise on the opportunity always will.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 19 October, 2013, 09:08:15 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 19 October, 2013, 07:34:17 PM

I remember you've banged that drum already, when people bitched about the original price tag.

However, I don't agree with you. I think Zenith is too good to be restricted to a handful of readers, and in particular that this amazing edition should be enjoyed by 1000 genuine comic fans, not treated like a tradable commodity by opportunist sad acts who think they're Gordon Gekko.

So how do you ensure that? Make people fill in a questionairre before purchasing? Fuck that, it's no-ones business why I want to buy anything. I might have bought it because it was the perfect thickness to prop up my wonky couch.

It's no different to the people that buy toys and never remove them from the box because it might decrease the value.

I agree that sort of cashing in is a pretty crass thing to do, but I don't want Tharg to start acting like the Soup Nazi, shouting "NO COMICS FOR YOU!" at anyone he deemed undeserving of his stuff.
You may quote me on that.

Skullmo

I bought my copy because I ran out of toilet paper. . . . Thankfully I got some more in the meantime! Although it is running low!

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 October, 2013, 09:20:11 PM
I've no problem with your opinion but going by your thinking on this, my point was would it not also make those who buy it on ebay 'scumbags' since they're feeding the seller and this type of market? I don't think it follows that you can blame one and not the other.

Interesting question, and I don't necessarily agree with your logic, but I guess I would say that buying from such a seller is probably not the right thing to do.

No doubt genuine second-hand copies will start to appear soon, which will give people keen to obtain the book a better option.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Skullmo on 19 October, 2013, 09:24:54 PM
I bought my copy because I ran out of toilet paper. . . . Thankfully I got some more in the meantime! Although it is running low!

Ah, now I understand why you were bitching so much about non-delivery ;)

Did you ever get your copy?

Skullmo

Yes it arrived yesterday afternoon.

I have not opened it yet as I am hoping someone will offer me £400 for it!

>:(

Skullmo

There is not enough rich daft people out there though :(