Main Menu

The Complete Zenith

Started by James Stacey, 29 May, 2013, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recrewt

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 03 December, 2013, 06:44:49 PM
It's great Zenith will be widely available.

I am not so thrilled the £100 edition is going to suck in comparison to the new volumes, but at least I can feel virtuous knowing that had 1000 of us not stumped up a large wedge of cash, Zenith could well have stayed out of print forever.

Now, please stop messing around and get Luke Kirby sorted...

Interesting - what is it about these new volumes that makes you think the complete collection sucks?

I'm sure these will turn out to be the same page size, over four books for roughly the same price.  I can't see anything there that lessens the quality of the complete collection.

Jo-L

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 December, 2013, 08:12:59 PM
Quote from: Jo-L on 03 December, 2013, 08:09:44 PM
Is there some sort of limitation on the printer side that would prevent the material from being printed in the original size?

I'm pretty sure 2000AD changed physical page size at least once during Zenith's run, meaning it would be impossible to print all the pages at original printed size unless you did an oversize book to accommodate the whichever pages are the largest and put large white borders around the smaller ones...

Cheers

Jim

I am pretty sure that's right.  I'm also pretty sure that Phases 1-3 were all the same dimensions.  I am not 100% sure if the prog got larger or smaller after that.  In either case, why would Rebellion not adjust to the larger size?  I could also sizing each book appropriately according to the originals, though I could see collectors losing their minds if books within the same series were released with different dimensions.

Dodsy

Quote from: James Stacey on 04 December, 2013, 11:42:59 AM
Quote from: Skullmo on 04 December, 2013, 11:31:24 AM
Who is this Zenith?
I'm Zenith

NO! I'M ZENITH  :D

Was recently given a run of 2000AD's from around 350-950 from a generous forum member and have been working my way through them prog by prog but I'm jumping ahead starting tonight to read Zenith in its entirity, if i enjoy it then I'll be putting in a pre-order for the individual forums.
Twitter - @dodsy84

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Recrewt on 04 December, 2013, 12:16:18 PM

Interesting - what is it about these new volumes that makes you think the complete collection sucks?

I'm sure these will turn out to be the same page size, over four books for roughly the same price.  I can't see anything there that lessens the quality of the complete collection.

Suck in comparison, but obviously it'll still be great because it's Zenith.

However, using the proper page sizes will be a big improvement, and the promised new extras would have to be pretty bad not to add value.

I don't agree it will be roughly the same price either. Given the big book was actually £108 thanks to a compulsory postage surcharge, whereas the new books will (presumably) be available on amazon, so knock off 25% of the cover price, with free delivery.

Tiplodocus

Fantastic news - I may be able to justify buying these in bits and pieces to Mrs Tips.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

opaque

It'd be interesting to know how many people have put in a pre-order considering it's so far away. Makes sense for the limited edition but less so for the normal version.
I know the money gets taken on order so I supposed you can be nicely surprised come next year?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jo-L on 04 December, 2013, 12:30:41 PM
why would Rebellion not adjust to the larger size?  I could also sizing each book appropriately according to the originals, though I could see collectors losing their minds if books within the same series were released with different dimensions.

Then they won't all fit neatly into a slipcase.

Last of the V8's

I've not posted on here for ages but I feel I have to vent this as it has made me quite angry and pretty disgusted at Rebellions decision to reprint this already. Did they not say that the version out a few months ago would never be reprinted?
Oh sorry, what a sucker they meant not reprinted in that size and colour. £108, not really worth the money in the first place but as its " never to be reprinted" I shelled out as a lifelong fan of 2000ad.
If these version have more content than the first version that would be a right smack in the face to fans and , not that I will sell it, but that so called limited Edition now devalued to boot.
Thang the mighty, more at hard the money grabber.

Last of the V8's

Sorry that last line should read Less Tharg the Mighty more Tharg the money grabber.
Not that I'm bitter and twisted but it is a bit much so soon after the other edition.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Last of the V8's on 04 December, 2013, 02:24:32 PM
I've not posted on here for ages but I feel I have to vent this as it has made me quite angry and pretty disgusted at Rebellions decision to reprint this already. Did they not say that the version out a few months ago would never be reprinted?
Oh sorry, what a sucker they meant not reprinted in that size and colour. £108, not really worth the money in the first place but as its " never to be reprinted" I shelled out as a lifelong fan of 2000ad.
If these version have more content than the first version that would be a right smack in the face to fans and , not that I will sell it, but that so called limited Edition now devalued to boot.
Thang the mighty, more at hard the money grabber.

They aren't reprinting it in one volume so it is still a limited edition and Rebellion aren't screwing anyone:

Never collected in its entirety before, this is a unique opportunity to own the whole of Morrison's first superhero series in a never-to-be-repeated format

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Last of the V8's on 04 December, 2013, 02:34:31 PM
Not that I'm bitter and twisted but it is a bit much so soon after the other edition.

I wouldn't call a publishing date of December 2014 'soon'.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 04 December, 2013, 02:50:32 PM
Quote from: Last of the V8's on 04 December, 2013, 02:34:31 PM

I wouldn't call a publishing date of December 2014 'soon'.

The older I get the quicker the year flies by.

Sadly December 2014 feels quite soon to me.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Last of the V8's on 04 December, 2013, 02:24:32 PMIf these version have more content than the first version that would be a right smack in the face to fans and , not that I will sell it, but that so called limited Edition now devalued to boot.
There will never be more copies of that limited edition, and so I imagine it will hold its price for the most part. What's gone is the possibility of selling it for something ludicrous like 500 quid. That said, I'll bet people could still sell it for a decent amount before this news spreads widely.

As for £108, it'll be interesting to see how the new volumes compare. I can't imagine you'd get any change at RRP from £108... (Amazon is another matter, given how that company doesn't care about profits, but even so I see plenty of hardbacks on there often not being discounted much or at all.)

The Enigmatic Dr X

Bugger. There goes my get-a-PS4-quick plan.

Anyone want a sealed limited edition?
Lock up your spoons!